Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ATF Whitepaper Leak
Quote | Reply
Potential loosening of current regulations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.dedd5616ea20

Some things that caught my attention.

1. Removal of Silencers from NFA.
2. Removal of restrictions on importing sporting rifles.
3. Clarification on Stabilizer Braces, so shouldering of such a braced weapon doesn't represent a redesign (turning it legally into an SBR).

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...arms-regulations.pdf

A very good thing.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: ATF Whitepaper Leak [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with #3?

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: ATF Whitepaper Leak [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:

You're not a mall ninja tactikewl operatah...
Quote Reply
Re: ATF Whitepaper Leak [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

You're not a mall ninja tactikewl operatah...

When I hear mall, I think of Amazon Prime. ;)

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't own one. But basically it s a brace that looks like a stock. The brace wraps around the arm to allow you to shoot a rifle caliber weapon one handed or two without shouldering. The thing is people shoulder it anyways. The ATF has said that that makes it an SBR and subject to an NFA registration and stamp else the possessor is illegally in possession of an SBR, a felony. There have been arrest, but I don't know of any. And range officers or owners get sketchy with it. If they catch you doing it, they will tell you to leave. Some have even said their video is subject to ATF review and they will provide range user info to the ATF should they get audited.

I have seen the position letter on the use of braces, but I don't know if there have been any arrest, but I have heard range managers say the above. So if just to relieve the paranoia, this will be a good thing. I know several people who own them and put them on while waiting for their paperwork to clear. I've considered doing that myself. However, that creates another issue. You cannot put one of these on a receiver that was once a rifle. It has to be a pistol receiver. I've discussed this before, but here is a refresher.

When you buy a AR receiver, the ATF ask that you stipulate whether it is a rifle or handgun. At first this seems like an odd question, and to call it a handgun receiver adds other issues. For instance, I bought a receiver years ago, and was asked this. I didn't have a concealed weapons permit yet, so in florida that meant the dealer would have to hold the receiver for 3 days. So I said rifle, so I could take it home. But, now that receiver is a rifle receiver and can only be a rifle receiver. I can make it an SBR, but I cannot remove the stock, nor put a pistol brace on it. I have to leave it as a standard rifle or unattached until my stamp comes. Had I said it was a pistol, I would have waited the three days, but can mount such a brace and eventually convert a pistol into a full rifle or SBR, you cannot convert a rifle into a pistol. Make a lot of sense to you? Of course not, it is a stupid archaic gun law that some advocate pushed for at one time without knowing anything about guns. It was really designed to make sawed off rifles and shot guns illegal.

So the moral of the story is, if you buy a receiver, make it a pistol one. Even if you have to wait 3 or 7 days for it based on your states law.

Here is a link.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/...mpaign=1100005089820

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
1. Removal of Silencers from NFA.

That would be awesome. I'd love to have one but haven't wanted to jump through the hoops.
Quote Reply
Re: ATF Whitepaper Leak [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm buying two the day that happens.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like some heavy Velcro would do the same or similar thing.

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just curious and too lazy todo the research, I know "moderators" are quite common in Europe and maybe Oceania... but what sort of hoops do you have to jump through there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is it's about as easy as buying ammo in the USA. They are also about 1/8th the price as what they sell for here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moderators? You mean suppressors? If that is what you need, look up the time to get a suppressor thread. You see in great detail what JSA and I both went through in a similar timeframe. Mine went smooth and took 7 months, his took almost a year. The paperwork is really just an additional line on the form you already fill out, but if you want to personally own one, you have to submit fingerprints and get Chief Law Enforcer Approval. You can get around that if you have a trust own it, and only submit fingerprints and notification to the CLE. What they do with that info is up to them. But it still takes 7 months even or more with the slightest clerical error.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering you can use a fuel filter as a suppressor of a pistol, one must assume that the manufacturing costs isn't significantly more than this 20 dollar part. Granted those are disposable and not serviceable, but come on. Yes, the passing of the law to remove them from NFA would likely see a price bump in the short term as people want them and demand can't keep up. But then the price and innovation would drop dramatically.

It has always amazed me that countries with much stricter gun laws pretty much allow suppressors without restriction. But our gun laws are quirky. The focus on the BS on not on matters of actual safety. I guess that is what happens when you have too many people who don't know anything about guns rabidly anti-gun or don't care as long as they take away some sort of gun right.

Quote Reply