Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

School me on key finders
Quote | Reply
I am an idiot; I misplace my keys all the time. Or rather, I put my keys in stupid places all the time.

What's the best key finder fob thinger out there?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: School me on key finders [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your front pocket (left or right, your choice), and at the end of the day when the pants come off, put your keys in the same place every time. There you go, I just saved you $25.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: School me on key finders [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Your front pocket (left or right, your choice), and at the end of the day when the pants come off, put your keys in the same place every time. There you go, I just saved you $25.

That's great. If I was capable of doing this don't you think that I'd already be doing this?

What part of "I'm an idiot" was lost on you?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a tile. It works well. Not sure what else you need to know. I can tell it to make noise using my phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you can find a responsible adult and hand the keys to that person when you get in? :) I have a carabiner type clip that I use a fair bit and find it helpful.

However, I usually just put the keys in one of three spots when I come in the house. The best place is on a key hook inside the front door, but I do sometimes put the key on the counter near the light switch. We have a cipher lock to get in the house, so the only key I have on my ring is to the car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have those "tile" thingys at the home improvement stores, so I'm guessing they're reasonably cheap. Even if you go that route, it's probably worth getting in the habit of pocketing your keys and dropping them in the same place.

Any time I can't immediately find my keys, I only have two places to looks; in my pants, or on the console table where I drop them. The rest of the times that I can't find them, it's generally because they're in my hand.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lanyard? Pin your keys to your shirt?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or rather, I put my keys in stupid places all the time.

No key finder is going to work as long as you keep putting them in stupid places.

Quote Reply
Re: School me on key finders [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Or rather, I put my keys in stupid places all the time.

No key finder is going to work as long as you keep putting them in stupid places.

Isn't that the whole point of the key finder?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking at one on Amazon and after reading one of the reviews on privacy decided not to purchase. It seemed like they were tracking your movements all of the time and selling the data, keeping track of other people with key finders I met etc and really no way to opt out because duh you want to know where your stuff is.

I realize probably every app and device I have is doing the same thing and I am not sure why this one spooked me more than others. I guess it was because I was going to buy them for my wife and kids. If I am to stupid to protect my own privacy (and apparently I am) I didn't want to be responsible for not protecting the privacy of my family. (Although my wife probably needs to checked on ;) )
Quote Reply
Re: School me on key finders [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
I have a tile. It works well. Not sure what else you need to know. I can tell it to make noise using my phone.

BLeP's next thread, "School me on phone finders."
Quote Reply
Re: School me on key finders [nhunter344] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nhunter344 wrote:
Triocd wrote:

BLeP's next thread, "School me on phone finders."

Simple...use the keys to find the phone. If you lose both frequently you need a higher level of help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Isn't that the whole point of the key finder?

Yes, but what happens when you start putting your key finders in stupid places?

Quote Reply
Re: School me on key finders [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The key finder part is your phone. I don't lose my phone. It's glued to my hand.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apple square has one that is not too bad. Unfortunately, it's a bit large compared to your keys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one of those chains you clip to your pants. Bonus, can get one that will attach to your wallet.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on key finders [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
one of those chains you clip to your pants. Bonus, can get one that will attach to your wallet.

Double bonus... I'll look super cool too!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My boxing coach gives his keys to his wife.

He's been hit in the head a lot.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: School me on key finders [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Tile. I have one on my keys and one in my wallet. Works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just leave your key under the floor mat.

If you live someplace where that's not safe? Move.

You're welcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:

Double bonus... I'll look super cool too!

Hey the place I work at has a bunch of those in stock. Hot sellers... I think there's a box of 25 there from 2005.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keys? Ok gramps.

Replace locks with digital combination locks.

Get push button start car and leave fob in car.

No more keys.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I am an idiot; I misplace my keys all the time. Or rather, I put my keys in stupid places all the time.

What's the best key finder fob thinger out there?

I have an "XY finder"

Plusses: 1)I use it for several things - one in my wallet, one in my keys (wish there was one small enough for my daughters retainer)
2) not terribly expensive 3) I have used it to find these things several times

Minuses: 1) the batteries run out quickly and are a pain to replace 2) the "pinging" is very faint - you basically need to be in the same room to hear it 3) very limited range - you pretty much need to be in the same room, and certainly on the same floor of the house for it to work. So in order for it to work I need to go from room to room, ask the finder to search for the thing, and if it is "out of range" move to the next room.

I thought it would work more like other "find" I phone apps (i.e. find phone or find friends) - but it is not like that at all.... you need to be very near the thing you are looking for.
Quote Reply