Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Renn 555 Disc question
Quote | Reply
I've got a Renn 555 disc and it's going great, I noticed, however, it has a bulge on the other side of the valve cutout, same size and shape as the cutout. Is this normal?
Quote Reply
Re: Renn 555 Disc question [Omni-Slash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't say if this is normal but my Renn disc has the same bulge in the same place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Mine has it too.
Quote Reply
Re: Renn 555 Disc question [skid777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a 555 disc, but could the bulge be there to make some room for the pump head? Other discs like Zipp have a cut-out on both sides of the disc, it appears from online images of the 555 that the disc only has a cut-out on one side of the disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Renn 555 Disc question [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No - not sure why it is there, but it doesn't really bulge out on the inside to create more room. And it's a tight squeeze. I even bought a Silca Hiro a couple of years back for it and ended up returning it because it wouldn't work on that disc. The cutout is not very deep which was a tight fit, but the bigger issue was how narrow it was. Without the other side cutout as well, the head of the Hiro was too big around to fit in there and I ended up having to bend the valve stem outward quite a bit to use it, which was the main reason I bought the Hiro - to avoid having to do that with the crack pipe as the lack of depth caused the same issue even with a crack pipe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Normal. When we cut the hole it leaves a very thin skin on that side. Then we pour the expanding foam in the cut out and it bulges before it gets hard. The bulge is less then .005 of an inch. Finally we cut the finished valve hole. There is more space for a pump head now that the wheel is wider. The bulge is still there.

Frank Rehnelt
Renn Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Renn 555 Disc question [Frank Rehnelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Straight from the horse's mouth! Huzzah.

Frank Rehnelt wrote:
Normal. When we cut the hole it leaves a very thin skin on that side. Then we pour the expanding foam in the cut out and it bulges before it gets hard. The bulge is less then .005 of an inch. Finally we cut the finished valve hole. There is more space for a pump head now that the wheel is wider. The bulge is still there.

Frank Rehnelt
Renn Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Renn 555 Disc question [Frank Rehnelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How wide is the rim these days on a Renn disc? Is there still a "lip" between the alu rim and the disc surface?

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Renn 555 Disc question [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Currently 24mm at the brake track. 18.25 mm internal. Clincher only. The "lip" is still there.

Frank
Quote Reply