Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Already getting creeped out by the Super Bowl [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, Arthur Blank's daughter is hot!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Already getting creeped out by the Super Bowl [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Are you talking about his 50 year-old wife?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Already getting creeped out by the Super Bowl [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

And how come the announcers treat the audience like it's the first time they were ever watching a game? They seem to explain things that are patently obvious in between rattling off the endless array of stats.

Because for a lot of people this is the only game they "watch" during the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really disagree with you. Like I said, if it was just the Bushes, I don't think it would bother me. But in context with the rest of the whole pre-game excess, it takes on a different tone.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
JSA wrote:

Are you talking about his 50 year-old wife?

48, but, yes. Not bad for a 84-year-old-looking 74 year old. To be fair, he looks much younger in his money...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Maybe I just never noticed back when I watched (probably stopped watching about a decade ago) but whenever I try to watch now it always leaves me thinking when did it become so kitschy, sappy and jingoistic? And how come it looks like I'm watching a video game?
And how come the announcers treat the audience like it's the first time they were ever watching a game? They seem to explain things that are patently obvious in between rattling off the endless array of stats.

That has been my reaction. But I'm ok with the game now. Mainly I'm researching audio gear on internet and when I hear something exciting on radio, I watch the play on tv. Radio is ten seconds in advance.

I guess I'll give gaa-gaa a watch and see how long I can watch/listen.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Already getting creeped out by the Super Bowl [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And is it just me, or is that new show "APB" creepy itself? A billionaire funds and takes over a police department? Yeah . . . . I would feel better about that if it looked like it was being presented as a dystopian scenario.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Already getting creeped out by the Super Bowl [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
And is it just me, or is that new show "APB" creepy itself? A billionaire funds and takes over a police department? Yeah . . . . I would feel better about that if it looked like it was being presented as a dystopian scenario.

As long as he keeps us safe who are we to question it?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't watch pro football. I've been to two parties tonight and still at one. I've watched 5 minutes of football.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Already getting creeped out by the Super Bowl [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha. I'm half watching the game while looking for surround speakers for my HT room. Happy with the game so far.

H- wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I just never noticed back when I watched (probably stopped watching about a decade ago) but whenever I try to watch now it always leaves me thinking when did it become so kitschy, sappy and jingoistic? And how come it looks like I'm watching a video game?

That has been my reaction. But I'm ok with the game now. Mainly I'm researching audio gear on internet and when I hear something exciting on radio, I watch the play on tv. Radio is ten seconds in advance.

I guess I'll give gaa-gaa a watch and see how long I can watch/listen.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Already getting creeped out by the Super Bowl [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

It's not unique to the Superbowl, or even necessarily to football. I think it's a style of announcing that US commentators often adopt, maybe given the start/stop nature of many US sports leaving a lot of air time to fill.
Quote Reply
Re: Already getting creeped out by the Super Bowl [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

My wife decided she had to watch it last night (I was busy with other things). At some point, she says, "The red guys just got a touchdown! That's 4 points, right?"

Obviously, she's a huge fan.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
TheForge wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Who would you have do the coin toss?

The fucking ref. It's a football game, not some national religion that needs to be presided over by a figurehead.

I maybe wouldn't mind the Bushes if they were the only part of the picture. Taken in context with the whole spectacle, it's like some creepy cult.

Where have you been for the last 20 years.

Everyone and their dog watches the SB whether they know anything about football or not. No amount of explaining by the commentators would even begin to make a dent in my wife's ignorance of football.

Also Joe and Troy are two of the worst commentators in the profession. Troy really did get hit on the head way too many times in the 90's.
Quote Reply
Re: Already getting creeped out by the Super Bowl [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone and their dog watches the SB whether they know anything about football or not.
---

I didn't even know who was playing, doing the halftime show, or the outcome of the game. I'm pretty sure my dog doesn't know either. The amount that I care is zero. I only opened this thread to figure out what's so creepy about a bunch of fat dudes in tight clothes fondling each other and wrestling over a ball. Apparently it's more than that and has something to do with a former president tossing a coin, as if that's the point where the game jumped the shark.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Already getting creeped out by the Super Bowl [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Everyone and their dog watches the SB whether they know anything about football or not.
---

I didn't even know who was playing, doing the halftime show, or the outcome of the game. I'm pretty sure my dog doesn't know either. The amount that I care is zero. I only opened this thread to figure out what's so creepy about a bunch of fat dudes in tight clothes fondling each other and wrestling over a ball. Apparently it's more than that and has something to do with a former president tossing a coin, as if that's the point where the game jumped the shark.

You should go up a size in your hipster pants. Or maybe switch beard oils.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
windywave wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

It's not unique to the Superbowl, or even necessarily to football. I think it's a style of announcing that US commentators often adopt, maybe given the start/stop nature of many US sports leaving a lot of air time to fill.

Agreed. From my perspective, the commentators sound like douchebags because they have so much inactive viewing time to fill... and because they're probably douchebags.

I had an EPL game recorded from yesterday, and watched it immediately following the super bowl. The game, and certainly the commentary styles, are night and day.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't normally wear hipster pants (or any pants for that matter). No beard either. Just no interest in anything football. I'm patiently waiting for baseball season.

Quote Reply
Re: Already getting creeped out by the Super Bowl [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I don't normally wear hipster pants (or any pants for that matter). No beard either. Just no interest in anything football. I'm patiently waiting for baseball season.

Lord almighty, what are you 150 years old? Ain't nobody cares about baseball anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watch almost every SF Giants game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lord almighty, what are you 150 years old? Ain't nobody cares about baseball anymore
---
I'm not a bumbling idiot who buys in to all of the hype of the brainless masses. I typically have an appreciation to watch sports in which I played at some point in life. I ran instead of football. And, quite frankly, the football jocks in both HS and college were the lowest denominator of people. I hated being around them and I certainly wasn't supporting their sport.

I did, however, play baseball in little league, HS, and beer league softball as an adult. I appreciate that game on multiple levels. Football?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lord almighty, what are you 150 years old? Ain't nobody cares about baseball anymore.

I say the same about football...

Quote Reply
Re: Already getting creeped out by the Super Bowl [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
windywave wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Agreed. From my perspective, the commentators sound like douchebags because they have so much inactive viewing time to fill... and because they're probably douchebags.

I had an EPL game recorded from yesterday, and watched it immediately following the super bowl. The game, and certainly the commentary styles, are night and day.

Back when ESPN (I think or it may have be FOX) was flirting with covering more soccer, they brought in an American announcer. I can't remember his name now, just that he was black and made his name covering basketball. He just didn't sound right calling a soccer match. His pacing was off, it sounded like he was calling a basketball game still. It also didn't help that he really didn't understand soccer and often was getting it explained to him by his co-commentator. The funny thing was he didn't really know when to get excited and when not, so he'd get all fired up about some minor thing and miss hyping something more hype worthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
TheForge wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Who would you have do the coin toss?

The fucking ref. It's a football game, not some national religion that needs to be presided over by a figurehead.

I maybe wouldn't mind the Bushes if they were the only part of the picture. Taken in context with the whole spectacle, it's like some creepy cult.

Where have you been for the last 20 years.

Everyone and their dog watches the SB whether they know anything about football or not. No amount of explaining by the commentators would even begin to make a dent in my wife's ignorance of football.

Also Joe and Troy are two of the worst commentators in the profession. Troy really did get hit on the head way too many times in the 90's.

#fakenews

There was a slightly higher percentage of people in the US that didn't watch a minute of the Super Bowl than people who voted for Trump. Basically, the same everyone and their dog....
Quote Reply
Re: Already getting creeped out by the Super Bowl [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a slightly higher percentage of people in the US that didn't watch a minute of the Super Bowl than people who voted for Trump.

Yeah but if you add the number who would have voted for him if he campaigned in every State, Trump would beat the Superbowl viewers in a landslide. Everyone agrees it wouldn't be close...
Quote Reply

Prev Next