Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Same Sex Marriage vs Siblings [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
I know, but as slowguy has pointed out, that's not something that's going to last. Protect the "sanctity" of marriage? Be serious. There's no real justification for limiting marriage to sexual relationships, or even romantic relationships.

There would be if we did not attach so many legal/economic benefits to marriage. But, because we do so, I agree. I could see a "plus one" type system whereby two people could enjoy the benefits of a married couple.

We had "civil unions" in California, before SSM was decreed, in which any two people could form a legal union. I used to do photography for civil union ceremonies in the late 90s and early 2000s (basically same sex weddings without legally labeling them as "marriages").

These unions were only recognized in California.

And yes, there were instances of roommates who weren't romantically involved who formed unions in order to get benefits. For some reason this pissed people off.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Same Sex Marriage vs Siblings [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm swayed by some of the arguments here, but I'd need to think on it a bit more.

I'll just add the anthropologist's perspective that a taboo against incest is one of the very few 'cultural universals' that you see across virtually every human society. there's been much ink spilled on it over the years.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm of the as long as it's consenting adults who cares persuasion.

Fortunately children raised together are very rarely interested in one another, including when not related, as illustrated by the Israeli kibbutz.

I have no idea, are non related step siblings allowed to marry?
Quote Reply
Re: Same Sex Marriage vs Siblings [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see no reason why step siblings can't hook up, but never checked the law.

If I'm being honest, I'll admit that something about SSM doesn't sit right with me. Although I'm Catholic, my faith is not strong and I probably know less about the teachings and readings than many here. But it's not so much the religious aspect that's driving my feelings, rather the traditional aspect and nature side of things - though I'm aware there will be points that contradict these feelings. To me, heterosexual sibling unions make more sense than same sex ones, but of course that doesn't seem right either.

I've heard people ask how it's actually affecting me. On a personal level it's just a breakdown of perceived norms in society which inevitably leads to the next change. Who knows what's next? I can't help feeling this way. I don't think I'm going to be persuaded anytime soon. But of course I'm aware it's just my sole opinion. I don't begrudge equal rights on most other levels (I don't agree with IVF but that's a totally separate matter which I won't delve into) but I just wish there was a way marriage could have been left alone.

A lot of interesting discussion though. Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Re: Same Sex Marriage vs Siblings [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
And there are couples who have know each other basically all their lives who we don't prevent from marrying just because of it.

I met my wife when I was 6 and she was 2.

I would say that she holds the balance of power.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just adding: having read JSAs comments here and from Duffy's older thread, I wonder why psych's believe there something inherently wrong in sibling attraction any more then SS attraction, given society has historically frowned upon both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
On a personal level it's just a breakdown of perceived norms in society which inevitably leads to the next change.

Well at some point relatively recently marrying first cousins fell out of fashion, and I think is illegal in most states? But I'm pretty sure was fairly common in the west until then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
On a personal level it's just a breakdown of perceived norms in society which inevitably leads to the next change.

Well at some point relatively recently marrying first cousins fell out of fashion, and I think is illegal in most states? But I'm pretty sure was fairly common in the west until then.

Marriage to close relatives is generally illegal because of the prejudice against close familial procreation, and for good genetic reason. However, we seem to be rapidly approaching a time when parents will be able to identify and repair genetic faults in their children before birth. At that point, what would be the purpose in preventing brother and sister from procreating, for example?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#LoveWins

More than anything I heard people advocate for gay marriage on the grounds that they are two consenting adults and they are not hurting anyone. Using the same logic I don't see why siblings couldn't get married or 3 or 4 people can't all get married. We all know societies subjective moral preferences are not based in logic or truth. If you're unsure about global warming you're a science denier, but where does science belong when a man says he's a woman?

Mother, 36, and son, 19, who fell in love when they met last year after she gave him up for adoption as a baby, say they'll go to JAIL to defend their relationship.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...AIL-defend-love.html
Quote Reply
Re: Same Sex Marriage vs Siblings [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I met my wife when I was 6 and she was 2.

What were you first attracted to? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Same Sex Marriage vs Siblings [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More than anything I heard people advocate for gay marriage on the grounds that they are two consenting adults and they are not hurting anyone.

I hear that all the time too and I'd like to hear those who use that try to say how it doesn't apply to the marriage of siblings.
Quote Reply
Re: Same Sex Marriage vs Siblings [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her when I met her again when she was 19. (Although we ran into each other many times over the years, our parents are friends).

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Same Sex Marriage vs Siblings [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

Marriage to close relatives is generally illegal because of the prejudice against close familial procreation, and for good genetic reason. However, we seem to be rapidly approaching a time when parents will be able to identify and repair genetic faults in their children before birth. At that point, what would be the purpose in preventing brother and sister from procreating, for example?

It's also illegal for siblings who are adopted (and share no genetics at all) to marry.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Same Sex Marriage vs Siblings [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
slowguy wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

It's also illegal for siblings who are adopted (and share no genetics at all) to marry.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the whole inbreeding thing is a bit overblown if you're talking about a one off of siblings having children, it's really when you have an inbred population of a bunch of close relatives marrying for generations (e.g. some island populations) that deleterious genetic traits can become a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Duffy wrote:
slowguy wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the whole inbreeding thing is a bit overblown if you're talking about a one off of siblings having children, it's really when you have an inbred population of a bunch of close relatives marrying for generations (e.g. some island populations) that deleterious genetic traits can become a problem.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

How recently? As a child at least 30 years ago I recall talk of not being able to marry your cousin - because there were two cousins in our year and we all thought the girl was hot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

How recently? As a child at least 30 years ago I recall talk of not being able to marry your cousin - because there were two cousins in our year and we all thought the girl was hot!

I know Darwin was married to a first cousin, so it was still going in the 19th century.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

AFAIK the US is the only country that outlaws marriage between 1st cousins.

Last tally I've seen, marriage between 1st cousins is illegal in 24 of the 50 US states. 7 states allow marriage between 1st cousins with certain restrictions and it is legal in the remaining 19 states. Since there are 50 different family codes things may have changed since then (Texas only made 1st cousin marriage illegal in 2005).

Note that because of the Full Faith and Credit clause of The Constitution states are required to recognize marriages from other states. So if 1st cousins who live in a state where it is illegal wish to marry they can simply get married in a state where it is legal and their state will recognize it.

The Full Faith and Credit clause is one of the reasons there was so much panic after Massachusetts legalized gay marriage. Conservative states mobilized their lawyers and legislatures to try to find a way to not recognize gay marriages from other states.

Cousin marriage used to be widespread, it was a way to keep wealth within families. Historically a majority of marriages were probably between 1st cousins.

1st cousins (except double 1st cousins) only share one grandparent. The odds of birth defects are only 5% higher with first cousin parents than unrelated parents. For comparison a 35 year old mother has 400% higher risk of birth defects than a 25 year old mom.

As far as sibling marriage goes; I can't justify banning it. To me anything between consenting adults should be legal.
Quote Reply
Re: Same Sex Marriage vs Siblings [outerlimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
outerlimit wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

Cousin marriage used to be widespread, it was a way to keep wealth within families. Historically a majority of marriages were probably between 1st cousins.

And of course keeping wealth/power also led to sibling marriages in some instances, like the Pharaohs of Egypt and I want to say one of the big native American empires also practiced it (Incas or Aztecs?).
Quote Reply
Re: Same Sex Marriage vs Siblings [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
#LoveWins

More than anything I heard people advocate for gay marriage on the grounds that they are two consenting adults and they are not hurting anyone. Using the same logic I don't see why siblings couldn't get married or 3 or 4 people can't all get married. We all know societies subjective moral preferences are not based in logic or truth. If you're unsure about global warming you're a science denier, but where does science belong when a man says he's a woman?

Mother, 36, and son, 19, who fell in love when they met last year after she gave him up for adoption as a baby, say they'll go to JAIL to defend their relationship.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...AIL-defend-love.html

Agreed. On the basis of the arguments used for SSM, there is no way to not allow sibling marriage as well.

IMO the key is to get rid of the governmental benefits of marriage. If there were no tax benefit, etc. there would be no reason for SSM or sibling marriage other than the commitment between the two people, or three or four. The problem started when we gave preferential treatment to married people and then restricted who could get married.

Marriage should have stayed a religious institution with no outside benefit to it, everyone could do what they want and no one could cry foul about not having equal opportunity or rights. Religions would be happy with not being coerced to marry those outside their group as well.

Come up with some contract language for medical emergencies and end of life decisions, then forget the rest of the "benefits".
Quote Reply
Re: Same Sex Marriage vs Siblings [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
Perseus wrote:
#LoveWins
Marriage should have stayed a religious institution with no outside benefit to it, everyone could do what they want and no one could cry foul about not having equal opportunity or rights. Religions would be happy with not being coerced to marry those outside their group as well.

Come up with some contract language for medical emergencies and end of life decisions, then forget the rest of the "benefits".

As you observe the problem with marriage is that it has cultural, religious, and legal ramifications. I think your solution is workable. The government could just recognize civil unions. Someone who wishes to marry would only need to find someone willing to officiate their ceremony. Getting the government out of the marriage business allows everyone to follow their conscience without forcing other people to go against theirs.
Quote Reply
Re: Same Sex Marriage vs Siblings [outerlimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just tremendously relieved to find that same sex marriage has not weakened civil marriage as a societal institution.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply

Prev Next