Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Parenting - "Pick and choose your battles" [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old School FEAR!!!

When I was small, mom told me that, when she was young, she met an old woman who taught her how to use a spell that turned little boys into toads. She also said that the old woman had not taught her how to turn toads back into little boys.

I believed her until I was 40.
Quote Reply
Re: Parenting - "Pick and choose your battles" [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:
Just checking back in here to see all of the strategies/methods/actions/rationale.

Everyone in this thread who is under 50 years-old should go ask their parents or grandparents. I believe a poll of 70+ year-olds would tell you that a good slap now and again was a far more efficient and effective in the long run.

For the record...
I have evolved to the less efficient methods of today; however, I still remember the sting, and believe I am better for it.
My parents 80 and 78 respectively, were "MY PARENTS!" Not my friends. YES, THEY WERE THE BOSS OF ME!
Now, they are my still my best friends.

Dad is at my house 4 nights week. He eats my food, drinks my scotch, reads my paper, walks my dog, has dessert.
And... He has been my golf partner for 42 years.

I got spanked when I was a kid (31 years old now), hit with wooden board or spoon, the leather belt was the worst, that fucker hurt!

Wife and I have discussed the use of spanking if we ever make the plunge on procreation. I always say, there are exactly two times where I got spanked and have a problem with it now. First time I was legitimately innocent of the crime, my mom was bent out of shape so told my dad to spank me when he got home, I didn't deserve it and got it anyway. Not a big deal in the grand scheme. And number two, my dad was pissed off at me and spanked me out of anger rather than discipline. I thought that was fucked up at the time and still think it wrong, I'm sure he would have that back if he could, I don't hold a grudge or anything. But if I have kids, if I choose to spank, my goal will always be to set the boundary and make sure the consequence is known in advance. If the kid still makes the wrong choice I would hope to be calm and rational about the punishment.

IMO spanking is fine if done correctly. It is the beatings done out of anger that I have a problem with.
Quote Reply

Prev Next