Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Logistic involved in Ultraman / Ultra520K
Quote | Reply
Guys,

I'm trying to figure out the logistics (and cost) for something like the Ultra 520K Canada (http://ultra520kcanada.com/).

Given that I have a family and two kids under the age of 10, I wonder how I can manage something like this event. Do I need 2 additional friends as support crew ? Will the family need to move at the end of day 2 ? Anyone had done it and can provide some insights ? Any input will be welcome.

Thanks !
Quote Reply
Re: Logistic involved in Ultraman / Ultra520K [zivp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you trying to go the cheapest route? That would be having the event supply you with two crew and a paddler. It's more fun to share the experience with friends and family, in most cases. It's a big savings to fly to Kelowna and drive the 50km's to Penticton or fly to Seattle and drive 5-hours.

Best van rental is Budget in Penticton but not at the airport. You can save a pile of money going economy car but you'll regret it or at least you aren't doing the best for your crew.

Tricky

R.I.P. Craig Percival - Ultra Warrior
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HI

I did Ultra520k in 2015 and I cant say enough good things about the experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had the money and vacation days. It is ending next year so now is your chance.
You will need a min of 2 crew (max 4) . they will drive the car and support you along the way, with food and water, encouragement, bike mechanics etc. The main costs are entry, Cost of SUV hire for the event, accommodations, flights etc. Best to arrive on the Wednesday into Penticton at the latest and race starts in the Saturday. On Saturday the race starts and ends in Penticton, but on day 2 you will end up elsewhere. It is best to stay near day 2 finish as it will be 90 mins approx. back to base camp (you will leave most of your gear in Penticton at your room there). The race starts early on day 3 with a group breakfast and you don't want to be driving to it. We went back to Penticton after the race to our room. My crew left on the Tuesday as they have their own lives to get back to, but there is an athlete dinner on the Tuesday evening for all who are left and we departed again on the Wednesday. If you have any particular questions, feel free to Ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband did the race in 2013 and I was on the crew. We had a crew of 2 in the canoe to accompany him in the swim, and 4 total in the van for the bike/run. They were friends of ours...it was an amazing experience. Costs...race entry is not cheap as you may have noticed. You would need van rental if you don't have access to one. And don't forget to factor in fuel costs. Supplies added up to quite a bit...extra bike parts, first aid kit, nutrition, food for the crew, etc. We stayed overnight in Princeton (where day 2 ends and day 3 begins) and paid for 3 hotel rooms for us and our crew. I would suggest don't move all your stuff to Princeton for the one night, pay for the night in Penticton even though you won't be staying there and keep that as home base, and get a room for the night in Princeton. If your wife and kids are not on your crew you have to be careful about them following you around on the course in a vehicle that is not an official crew vehicle (you are given signs to mark your crew car). They are strict about having too many vehicles following the racers, mainly for the safety of all participants, as there are a lot of crews out there making stops along the way already.

As mentioned 2017 is the last year for the race, so you have this year (there are lots of spots open for this year!) or next year.

I was the mastermind behind our crew organization so if you have any questions just ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you planning on doing it this year? I have signed up. Learning to eat REAL food on the bike and run! (chicken wrap in the pool did NOT work).

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply