Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Portlandians - Where to stay? Bike rental? Hagg Lake in July
Quote | Reply
I'll be doing Hagg Lake July 9th and then looking to stay in the Portland area for another 7-10 days. I'll probably be solo until meeting up with friends at Horning's Hideout park about the 15th. No real plan for the in between days, some scenic (I hope) riding, running and touring, maybe a little nightlife.

Have never been to Portland. Flying in and out of PDX, renting a car.

Google is telling me anywhere in Portland will be a 45min drive or less from Hagg and Horning's.

I'll be picking a middlin hotel, where in the area should I be looking?

The Ride of Truth - OWN your ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Portlandians - Where to stay? Bike rental? Hagg Lake in July [Spinmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring some trail shoes and run in Forest Park. You can get fancy and plan a loop or an out and back on Wildwood. Either way, it's great running.
Quote Reply
Re: Portlandians - Where to stay? Bike rental? Hagg Lake in July [Spinmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might be a bit biased since I lived in the Northwest district, but my recommendation would be that area. As you’d expect, hotels are going to be a lot more expensive the “closer in” you are. There are a couple hotels near NW 23rd and NW Vaughn (Holiday Inn Express and Silver Cloud Inn). I’m sure there are some good VRBO’s or whatever in this area as well. These are in a good spot since you’d have easy access onto the freeways, you’d be less than a mile to Forest Park, and you can easily walk (or take the streetcar) to explore downtown, NW 21st/23rd and the pearl. If you are looking to save a bit more money, check out Beaverton. Just try to stay not too far south from 26th and not too far west from 217 to save yourself time siting in a car. In terms of driving.

In terms of what to do, you are picking the perfect time as it’s one of the few months where it is dry.

Run: Forest park should be top on the list. There are so many good trails, Wildwood is the longest and most popular. It’d be best to run it on a weekday as it can get crowded on the weekends. I’d also do a run on the waterfront. Do something like a loop where you cross the Broadway Bridge run down to the Tillicum Crossing, then run back. Lots of good people watching, nice city views. If you are up for it, go all the way down to the Sellwood Bridge before looping back. Other good places to run include Washington Park, Terwilliger, Tryon Creek Park, Mt Tabor, Powel Butte, and a number of trails in Beaverton if you stay in that area (Nike, Fanno Creek, etc)

Ride: I posted on a thread awhile back of good places to ride which you can probably find. My favorites: (1) Historic Columbia River Highway (Troutdale to Horsetail Falls or Hood River to the Dalles….google Image the Rowena Loops); (2) Sauvie Island; (3) Skyline .

Hiking: There are an endless amount of great hikes. My favorite is probably Eagle Creek to Tunnel Falls stopping at Punchbowl Falls along the way (12 miles round trip). The waterfalls and viewpoints along the Columbia River Highway starting from Troutdale (each one is pretty short….and pretty crowed….if you want to go to Multnomah, go on a weekday and go really early). Mt Hood/Trillium Lake. Silver Falls (about an hour south of Portland), there are also some good ones about an west of Portland as you head towards the Coast but I can’t remember of the names right now. Speaking of the coast, if you haven’t been, take a day to go. Cannon Beach is just an hour-ish drive close and has some really gorgeous spots.

Other: Portland loves it’s good so there is no shortage of great places to eat. One of the local “chains” is called McMenamins. They buy old buildings and turn them into restaurants, bars, concert halls, etc. Each one is unique. If I were to pick one to check out it’d be Kennedy School. They took an old grade school and put in a restaurant, hotel, bar, movie theater, and a few other things. Get ice cream at Salt and Straw (be prepared to wait in line for a bit), get a doughnut at Blue Star (and you should probably get one at VooDoo as well since it’s kind of a must for tourists), if you can catch a Timbers soccer game and try and sit close to the Timbers Army. Stroll around and check out the shops and restaurants in the Pearl, NW 23rd/21st, downtown, N Mississippi Ave, Hawthorn, and Alberta.

That’s about all I can think of off the top of my head.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, as for the bike rental. I'm not sure who rents them, but is no shortage of good shops around town. I did most of my business with Western Bike Works, River City Cycles, and Cyclepath. The latter is a bit small, but the other two are larger and I'd guess they'd have a decent rental fleet.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Portlandians - Where to stay? Bike rental? Hagg Lake in July [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info, tks. Hadn't thought of VRBO, gotta check that out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also try AIRBnB. Look in Beaverton, Hillsboro, that area, if your goal is to get to the race quicker. Otherwise staying in downtown Portland would be more convenient as you can park the rental and walk everywhere or take public transport. Portland may be a smallish city but the traffic is murderous.

Yeah a trail run in Forest Park is a must-do. Since you'll stay 7-10 days check out running at Mt Tabor, and along the river in downtown Portland and over the many Portland bridges. Cycling on Marine Dr along Columbia River. That's near PDX.

If race weight is not an obsession for you, stop by a place called Petunia's Pies and Pastries. You can thank me later. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd stay close to Hagg night before. Forest Grove probably, or Newberg. You may not want a full on 60 to 90 minute drive that a.m.
With a full week + I'd hit the Coast / beach & maybe even Mt Hood & or Hood River. Have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Portlandians - Where to stay? Bike rental? Hagg Lake in July [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the beach like? strollable? surfing? fishing? scenic coastal roads for cycling?
I'm guessing cold water and maybe quite different than southern cal, mid atlantic, florida. Not that that's a bad thing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google Oregon Coast & the towns there. Its just 90 minutes from PDX but it goes on & on. It's a lot prettier & more wild than all those places!
Plenty of towns, beaches, cliffs n coves, tidepools, mud flats teaming with birds critters, etc. Too many places to see & things to do, even just the top half ( southern part is even cooler) .... It's absolutely worth a day or two or three. Yes you can do all that stuff and more but yes the water is freezing ... Well 52-54 or so in July.
Quote Reply