Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Attack at the Louvre
Quote | Reply
Damn. I hope this doesn't become a weekly/monthly occurrence in Europe:

"A machete-wielding man shouting "Allahu akbar" three times attacked four French soldiers Friday inside a shopping mall beneath the Louvre Museum in Paris before one soldier shot him, investigators said."

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Attack at the Louvre [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't just be a French thing because it just happened the other way around in Quebec. But seriously, I'm glad I spent my time in Paris years ago when none of this was a thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like most of them happen in France. Why?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Attack at the Louvre [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
largish, un-integrated muslim population from former colonies

not sure that i'd be that worried about a single fruit loop with a knife though
Quote Reply
Re: Attack at the Louvre [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

Oh, I didn't know that.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Attack at the Louvre [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

I hope you are right. I fear the random occurrence of violence is going to grow. Weapons are easy to reach and now terrorists are driving trucks into crowds. If you've ever been in Paris in June you know the crowds of tourists can be really large. They make for easy targets.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

I hope you are right. I fear the random occurrence of violence is going to grow. Weapons are easy to reach and now terrorists are driving trucks into crowds. If you've ever been in Paris in June you know the crowds of tourists can be really large. They make for easy targets.

Trucks, guns, bombs, knives all been around for awhile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:

Mostly Algeria
Quote Reply
Re: Attack at the Louvre [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turns out he was egyptian - arrived in Jan, still, france has a historical problem, namely that in spite of having colonised these places, many never received the right to move to france and many that did move, never integrated, or poorly integrated

this sort of shit plays right in to Marine le Pen's hands - but on a day to day basis I'd worry about it no more in Paris than London

last year we were in Nice for start of euro cup - that I was worried about, though it turned out other than fights and vandalism it went off without a hitch

bastille day though.............4-6 weeks after we were there, very different story
Quote Reply
Re: Attack at the Louvre [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right of course but you usually don't see bomb attacks in Pasadena:

"Authorities sought the public’s help Friday in identifying a black-clad, bearded bomb thrower who terrorized diners when he tossed a homemade explosive device into a Cheesecake Factory restaurant in Pasadena.

The terrorist threw an explosive inside the restaurant, The Cheesecake Factory said in a statement: “This evening an incendiary device exploded within our Pasadena restaurant. Thankfully, none of our guests or staff was injured. Law enforcement is actively investigating the incident and we hope to reopen in Pasadena on Friday, as usual.”

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been in france multiple times during the summer over the past 6 years

my biggest worry last summer was the european cup

attacks are pretty inevitable - as the IRA said - we only need to be lucky once, you need to be lucky every time -in terms of prevention

I don't suppose I think much about it, but I'm on long haul flights twice a month and I live in the middle east, so i am probably slightly less sensitive to it - I don't know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know. Why this happens in France so much. Remember I got banned for a comment that turned out to be the general consensus input why this is happening there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope Paris is prepared for those Cajun terrorists.

scorpio516 wrote:
TheForge wrote:

Mostly Algeria

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
I know. Why this happens in France so much. Remember I got banned for a comment that turned out to be the general consensus input why this is happening there.

In fairness, it wasn't what you said, it was how and when you said it.

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more in Italy. There are literal boat loads of Africans coming over to Italy daily.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Attack at the Louvre [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
I hope Paris is prepared for those Cajun terrorists.

But based on another thread, they will love the food.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
You're right of course but you usually don't see bomb attacks in Pasadena:

"Authorities sought the public’s help Friday in identifying a black-clad, bearded bomb thrower who terrorized diners when he tossed a homemade explosive device into a Cheesecake Factory restaurant in Pasadena.

The terrorist threw an explosive inside the restaurant, The Cheesecake Factory said in a statement: “This evening an incendiary device exploded within our Pasadena restaurant. Thankfully, none of our guests or staff was injured. Law enforcement is actively investigating the incident and we hope to reopen in Pasadena on Friday, as usual.”

Well shit, where is Sheldon Cooper going to go eat now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:

Watch yourself...

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Attack at the Louvre [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more in Italy. There are literal boat loads of Africans coming over to Italy daily.

it think the lesson from history is that starving people don't revolt. the people arriving in Lampedusa and malta etc have the shirts on their backs, and they're busy scratching away at the edge of maslow's hierarchy. the more dangerous group is the one that's managed, a generation later, to work its way to the edge of the working class - they've got their most immediate needs covered, and now realize that they're being shut out of opportunities. they've got time on their hands, and a roof over their head, and they're angry. france has a lot of people in that category.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Attack at the Louvre [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes alot of sense. The outer arrondissments of Paris are heavily populated by such people I understand.

iron_mike wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

it think the lesson from history is that starving people don't revolt. the people arriving in Lampedusa and malta etc have the shirts on their backs, and they're busy scratching away at the edge of maslow's hierarchy. the more dangerous group is the one that's managed, a generation later, to work its way to the edge of the working class - they've got their most immediate needs covered, and now realize that they're being shut out of opportunities. they've got time on their hands, and a roof over their head, and they're angry. france has a lot of people in that category.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply