Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

South Beach 2017
Quote | Reply
I signed up for the sprint, Anyone here have any info or experience with this event ? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Ive already scoured through old posts but not a whole lot there.
Looking to book at the mariott near the start to avoid all the parking issues.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach 2017 [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
I signed up for the sprint, Anyone here have any info or experience with this event ? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Ive already scoured through old posts but not a whole lot there.
Looking to book at the mariott near the start to avoid all the parking issues.
Thanks!

Did the sprint last year. I believe the water was wetsuit legal, as announced the day before.

The water is usually pretty clear, bike course is pretty nice. Be prepared for 4 bridges during the bike which really kicked my ass.

Run course finishes along the boardwalk. Doing it again this year in 2017. Hope to see you there :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim and run is always great. Transition is really long and narrow and always very crowded, though. Be prepared for super slow transitions because there is usually only a narrow path out and no way to get around a slow person wheeling a bike in front of you. Only other piece of advice is that to bring a jug of liquid with you to swim start. The wait on the beach is looooooong...especially for the sprint. Once the sun comes up you'll just stand there getting dehydrated while waiting. It gets very hot very fast and there is nowhere to go escape the sun.
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach 2017 [swimswam1003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the Oly in'15. Great location. No wetsuit swim that year. Breezy bike. The big downside for me was trying to run on the boardwalk. I was an early wave, and it looked far worse behind me, but there were way way way too many people on that boardwalk... Spectators, racers, and geriatrics who walk there every day and aren't happy about you being in their way. If you run hard and are gassed at the end, be prepared for the 30 yard run between the boardwalk and the packed and is through soft sand, and your legs may scream obscene things at you.

Best part off the day is the early morning walk to transition with the just risen triathletes mingling on the streets with the still partying night owls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it in '14. Wetsuit legal that year. From what I've been told, the RD makes every effort to make that race wetsuit legal haha. Water is crystal clear... beautiful.... point to point swim, TT start. Transition is long and narrow and slow for everyone. Don't let it fluster you. Definitely stay as close to the site as possible. Bridges can be blustery so be mindful of that.
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach 2017 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plan to stay at the Marriott near the start. Also what's the scoop on the clear bags for transition gear?
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach 2017 [swimswam1003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimswam1003 wrote:
Swim and run is always great. Transition is really long and narrow and always very crowded, though. Be prepared for super slow transitions because there is usually only a narrow path out and no way to get around a slow person wheeling a bike in front of you. Only other piece of advice is that to bring a jug of liquid with you to swim start. The wait on the beach is looooooong...especially for the sprint. Once the sun comes up you'll just stand there getting dehydrated while waiting. It gets very hot very fast and there is nowhere to go escape the sun.
Thanks for the hydration tip! Very helpful!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
Plan to stay at the Marriott near the start. Also what's the scoop on the clear bags for transition gear?

They were issued. I stuffed mine in my normal transition bag just in case I had to use it but nobody said anything about me bringing in my normal bag.
Quote Reply
Re: South Beach 2017 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the best hotel for the event is ? The mariott seems to be the closest to the swim start but I think being closer to transition may be better. Ive never been there so not sure. Any ideas? Thanks.
Quote Reply