Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fish - Which Jammers for HS State Meet? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! A few suits seem to come up in these discussions, including:

TYR Tracer
Speedo LZR Elite
TYR AP12 Credere

This gives Mom some good starting points at our local swimsuit shop, keeping in mind the rule that fit comes first. After that, it's down to execution.

I appreciate all the input, enjoy your weekend!

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Fish - Which Jammers for HS State Meet? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"at least she doesn't have a daughter. women's tech suit prices are even more insane".

My wife and I got a chuckle out of that, and both look forward to buying our daughter her first competition suit. That will be a good day for sure!

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Fish - Which Jammers for HS State Meet? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing your story, with video and everything. That is just the result we are looking for!

Fast heat! Your boy in L1?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
SH wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
My free time is certainly gone now.

Your 100 free time or your 200 free time? =)

Both :-)

I'll be swimming at Provincials. 50 free, 50 fly, maybe 50 back and I might do the 100IM as a distance event.

What am I going to have to do to beat you in the free and fly? I've actually been training my swim for once so maybe there's a chance... ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Fish - Which Jammers for HS State Meet? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can go 27 low for 50 fly you'll beat me. I went 28 mid in November at centennial. Expecting (hoping, praying?) for 27.7

50 free, I'm thinking I might be able to crank out a 26.3

I'll be fat and out of shape, but I'll shave and I'm trying to get in a month of sprint work before provincials

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are 2 versions of the tyr tracer (at least). The tracer b is a much better suit than the light, which I used a couple of years ago as an "in season" suit. Stitched seams rather than bonded

Another suit that I've heard good things about is the A3 stealth (I think that's the name, they make 2 suits) Not sure what the pricing is now, but last I looked it was going for about $100 - bonded seams, nice fabric. I was about to pull the trigger on one, then I found the speedo on sale for $50.

They got back to me pretty quickly with my sizing questions. Seems like good service.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched Rachel Nicol and Kelsey Wog battle in 2Breast tonight

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Thanks for sharing your story, with video and everything. That is just the result we are looking for!

Fast heat! Your boy in L1?

Scott

yep, L1.
that was the final of A leagues, the south Denver schools. 5th, he was pleased ;-)

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt I can hit that fly time as I don't train it enough but I might be able to get near the free time, I did a 28 flat from a push at the end of a practice last week. Hopefully I can make things work and get over for the meet.

In the spirit of this thread I may have to find a tech suit on sale somewhere! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Fish - Which Jammers for HS State Meet? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
Hello,

One of the young men in our hood is flirting with the state qualifier for the 50 free (23.1) and has one meet left to do it. Mom is asking me about speed suits. Any recommendations?

I'm shocked to see tech jammers listed for as much as $400. Mom is willing to buy some speed, but within reason. Can you recommend a suit closer to $150?

I'm out of touch with the tech, so can't adequately evaluate the incremental benefits. Help a kid out by pointing me in the right direction!

Scott

I had a ~$100 budget and ended up with a Speedo LZR Pro. No complaints. I've had some great swims in it, including a 28.49 50M Long Course which wasn't bad for a 46 year old man.

And to be honest, the 50 free's not an event where your suit drag is going to be as significant a factor as something like a 200 breast, 400 IM, or a 1650 free. The difference between a low end tech suit and a high end tech suit at that distance is pretty negligible. Of all the drag inducers at that speed/stroke rate, the suit is probably pretty low on the list.

Perhaps his coach will let him shave and taper. Much more of an effect than a tech suit for a boy swimming a sprint.

Does he have access to any collegiate swimmers? They often have a drawer or bag of still good tech suits that they are no longer using.

Engine Armour makes a very good "reasonably" priced tech jammer.

David K
Quote Reply

Prev Next