Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Drinking in Front of your Children [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slight change in topic, but with marijuana becoming legal, would you smoke pot in front of your kids? I don't drink or smoke, so I wouldn't. However, unlike alcohol, it is a new question on the social acceptability and norms.

My dad (in his 70s) was talking about how great it will be when it is legalized during Thanksgiving. Helps with all sorts of medical problems that he may deal with in his advanced age. it was sort of an awkward conversation similar to if he had been talking about the joys of any other prescription pain killer. Of course he pointed out that it has big advantages over the currently avalible painkillers.
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking in Front of your Children [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live where it's legal and while I am not a user I am really really not okay with smoking in front of your kids. There is the whole second hand smoke issue that you do not get with drinking. There is a lot of science on developing brains and weed being a very bad combination. I think a lot now recommend not smoking under 30.

That said we did talk about it when we were getting medical for my terminally ill parent. I don't think it's a bad thing- but I do think there's enough science to back up keeping it away from children (other than those with medical conditions where the benefit outweighs the risk like some seizure disorders)
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking in Front of your Children [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
My boys are at ages when they're old enough to find the beers I'm asking for and bring it to me opened without spillage, but too young to notice when I'm working on my 5th or 6th.

Sweet spot, man. Can't let these few short years go to waste.

Yep - Teach them early and you don't have to leave the couch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"but with marijuana becoming legal"

Was a lot more fun when it was illegal. Tried it for the first time in my last year of high school way, way back in the day. Might not have bothered if it was legal back then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Slight change in topic, but with marijuana becoming legal, would you smoke pot in front of your kids? I don't drink or smoke, so I wouldn't. However, unlike alcohol, it is a new question on the social acceptability and norms.

My dad (in his 70s) was talking about how great it will be when it is legalized during Thanksgiving. Helps with all sorts of medical problems that he may deal with in his advanced age. it was sort of an awkward conversation similar to if he had been talking about the joys of any other prescription pain killer. Of course he pointed out that it has big advantages over the currently avalible painkillers.

I probably won't, at least until they are much older, still too much of a stigma attached to it and who knows where the laws will go over the next few years.

I will say I smoked intermittently starting around age 15 and daily through most of college, mostly intermittently since. I'm not up on how it's suppose to affect the developing brain but college was easy for me. Pretty much got all A's. Only trouble I had was I started getting bad headaches when I lifted weights which I read it could cause, so it prompted me to stop. And then when I did it made my insomnia much worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking in Front of your Children [Brandon_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both my parents have drunk considerable amounts for as long as I can remember.

My younger brother and I grew up as essentially non-drinkers. My sisters are occasional drinkers.

Being borderline alcoholics didn't make my brother and I turn to the bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been teaching my boys about wine since they were two years old. They know how to cut the foil capsule, use various types of cork pullers, pour with their thumb in the punt, snap/twist the bottle to avoid drips, hold the glass by the stem, swirl on the table or in the air, smell, taste, and then describe what they are drinking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My parents would drink in front of my sister and I. Usually a glass of wine with dinner, or my father having a beer with one of his friends watching a ball game. When I was in 6th, grade they would allow us to have a small glass of wine or beer with supper and even try some of their mixed drinks at a wedding or other event as we got older.

I remember one of the first parties I went to in jr high that had alcohol. Everyone was acting like it was this magical thing and it wasn't a big deal to me. I could never figure out why it was such a big deal to them, since if I wanted to I could split a beer with an adult at home. I've never been a big drinker or anyone in my family and I think it's because it wasn't treated as a big deal.
Quote Reply

Prev Next