Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Have I ruined my new carbon base bar?
Quote | Reply
I just tried to mount my extensions to my brand new Profile Design carbon base bar with a torque wrench set to roughly 3Nm (the instructions said max 4Nm), when I saw that the extensions (2 bolted ones) has "dug into" the bar, by roughly half a mm (maybe a bit less).

It seems like the bar is coated with a clear coated spray paint, so maybe it's just that, that got pressed? Or have a ruined my bar?

See attached photo.

Last edited by: rikala: Feb 2, 17 8:22
Quote Reply
Re: Have I ruined my new carbon base bar? [rikala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just realized my that my extension does not really fit my bar, they are a bit too small, so it's not pressing all around the mount of it. Thats probably what happened. I'm not sure what I should do now...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your base bar probably has a 31.8mm clamping area.

Your aero bar extensions might have a 26mm clamp.

If this is the case, you probably ruined the base bar.
Quote Reply
Re: Have I ruined my new carbon base bar? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, its for a 31.8. I tested some more and the base bar is not completly round.

I shaved off some alloy from the edges of the mounting base (of the extension), and it fits better now. Hopefully I haven't ruined it...
Last edited by: rikala: Feb 2, 17 9:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello rikala and All,

No matter ..... you will soon replace it with a Morf Tech ......

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to let everyone know, I was in contact with Profile Design and it's ruined.

Profile Design claims it's my fault, so no help from them :-(. Bought another base bar from Vision instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rikala - be careful with the Vision extension bolts - not the ones that mount to the bar, but the ones that hold the extensions in place. They are very small and strip very easily. Ask me how I know...
Quote Reply