Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New sleeved swim skin (Kiwami) [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Sean H wrote:
I appreciate you doing this but your times are wildly inconsistent so I'm not sure how much we can learn from them other than the swimskin is faster than a speedo. You really need to be coming in within a couple of seconds on these 400s to give confidence that you're swimming the same effort across all of them.

You can see a generally improving trend over the season and the swimskin times are significally below that trend, at least to my opinion.

@Thomas Gerlach:
I do my 400m always with the same intensity, let's say at 95%. I tested only with the kiwami. I'm going to race my planned IM with a 2-piece bike wear (Castelli Stealth) which I thus will wear under the kiwami. Of course I will test this too, but I can't see any problems with that, especially because I will still loose a couple of kg until summer.

Sean, Thomas, I can understand if you can not take any conclusions from the data. I just wanted to share it, and as I said, to me there is a clear trend of 15s on 400m (or let's say 10-20 s).

Maybe I will do once a test on one day with e.g. 10 times 200m with alternately swimskin/speedo, but that's a lot of work putting the swimskin off and on ...

So I understand you are just trying to see a trend of improvement, but it would still be helpful to see how much you are varying in the days. If you are doing one 400x95% you should be able to do 4 reps at 95% or even 8 reps a day. Regardless, the important thing is that you test a tightly fitting tri kit that you will be wearing for racing. Skin is slow, we know that. 2 pieces are slow, we know that. If you are really set on a 2-piece then ok but I assume you are doing this testing because you want to go faster?

If so you might want to try getting a snug 1-piece and testing it straight up, versus the suit + the swimskin. Regardless thanks for your n+1 testing.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  Thanks for taking the time to record all these intervals and to post them.
I believe we all understand it's just numbers based on 1 person and indeed, those times may or may not have been influenced by so many potential outside factors.
So i no way is this a scientific demonstration.

However your results just seem to go in the exact same directions we have observed with other athletes or in our testing.
This just comfort us in our belief the AquaRush is particularly well designed and may help any athlete reduce her/his swim time, among other benefits.

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply
Re: New sleeved swim skin (Kiwami) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Regardless, the important thing is that you test a tightly fitting tri kit that you will be wearing for racing. Skin is slow, we know that. 2 pieces are slow, we know that. If you are really set on a 2-piece then ok but I assume you are doing this testing because you want to go faster?

If so you might want to try getting a snug 1-piece and testing it straight up, versus the suit + the swimskin. Regardless thanks for your n+1 testing.

I understand the point you make here, you're trying to get me out of my Castelli T1 Stealth with shorts into a one-piece suit. I read so much about this stuff and it's confusing to me. If we forget about sanitary stops but if we keep in mind that there must be a certain shoulder flexibility for swimming and that I have to run a marathon in it, how many minutes would I win on the bike if I would have a one-piece suit ? Especially taken into consideration that the Castelli T1 Stealth is generally considered fast. Maybe you can give me some thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Regardless, the important thing is that you test a tightly fitting tri kit that you will be wearing for racing. Skin is slow, we know that. 2 pieces are slow, we know that. If you are really set on a 2-piece then ok but I assume you are doing this testing because you want to go faster?

I understand the point you make here, you're trying to get me out of my Castelli T1 Stealth with shorts into a one-piece suit. I read so much about this stuff and it's confusing to me. If we forget about sanitary stops but if we keep in mind that there must be a certain shoulder flexibility for swimming and that I have to run a marathon in it, how many minutes would I win on the bike if I would have a one-piece suit ? Especially taken into consideration that the Castelli T1 Stealth is generally considered fast. Maybe you can give me some thoughts.

I am not saying you have to wear a sleeved suit, you can wear a sleeveless one-piece. But if you are wearing a sleeved swimskin isn't it already affecting you mobility as-is in the water? Just any fyi, I have a Kiwami medium that I am testing and it is a little restrictive in the shoulder IMHO and this comes from someone who swam in two different LG sleeved suits last year, a Kiwami sleeved suit, Champ Sys Apex sleeve suit, and Cuore sleeved suit. IMHO the Kiwami, LG, and Coure are not restrictive even squeezing into an XS but they are all two piece one pieces, ie, they aren't connected at the front near the waist. The Champ Sys Apex was a little restrictive. The jury is out on sleeved kits on the bike IMO and unless you test them they could actually be slower. Even if you test them in the tunnel, are they faster on race day all rolled up, out of place, stretched out from water, salt build-up??? Without significant testing, my suggestion to people right now is to buy the tightest fitting, sleeveless one-piece they can find.

In regards to porta stops, if you are really talking about an Ironman, honestly, if you spend a few extra seconds on the run taking it down it is probably going to help you if anything. The number one problem with Ironman for the marathon is people think the fastest way to run the marathon is to run it continuously. It is not. Frodeno gets this by walking 5-10 seconds in the aid stations.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: New sleeved swim skin (Kiwami) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your thoughts.
Regarding marathon pauses, I always use the Galloway method: 10 minutes run, 30 seconds walk. Psychologically nice too, these little rests. After 30 km no breaks anymore, because it is difficult to "get going" again then.
Quote Reply

Prev Next