Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Regulations Bad. 1 for 2 EO [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
Burhed wrote:
I hear it in the abstract all the time that regulations are killing business. But I seldom hear specifically which regulations are bad. I'm sure there is overlap between agencies etc. I'd be curious to hear any specifics ST LR members may have.

It seems President Trumps EO is just playing to he base. It would seem 'just get rid of regulations' is far more complicated.

One that comes to mind is regulations demanding efficiency out of refrigerators. I believe the intent is to lower carbon emission, more green per se. While they may be able to look at electrical costs as being lower with the new hi tech refrigerators I doubt they are when you look into how long a refrigerator lasts now compared to the old ones, how much fuel is spent on service calls, how much more carbon is produced building more to replace the short life ones, the cost for parts and the fact that it just pisses me off that I have an almost 20 year old fridge that's never had a problem in my garage and I'm on my second side by side in the last 12 years with 3 service calls between those two. But hey, its fucking energy efficient, unless you add all the actual energy costs.

Not to mention the additional landfill necessary.

That's not due to regulations that's due to planned obsolescence. How cheaply and crappily can we make these refrigerators but we have to balance that with not making them so crappily that consumers won't buy our product again.

Take away the regulations, you'll still see the same issues.

Maybe we need more regulations to require better quality refrigerators.
Quote Reply
Re: Regulations Bad. 1 for 2 EO [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you are being sarcastic...

However, don't get me wrong, I am not pro uber regulations. I just don't blame regulations for companies doing their utmost to pad the bottom line at every turn.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Regulations Bad. 1 for 2 EO [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
This is near and dear to my heart because I see directly the 'hidden costs' of over-regulation, at least in one industry. I work in R&D for a financial software company, I could tick off a dozen of the largest banks and insurance companies that use our software.

90% of what I've worked on the past few years is regulatory, either US GAAP/TAX regulations or IFRS regs. We bill either our parent company--one of the biggest banks in the world--or one of the companies partnering with us to get the regs in the system in time, and we bill them millions. Nearly every meeting, every design session, every minute spent in dev or test is related to regulations, either those newly imposed or those being modified and adjusted, which happens all the time.

Who do you think ultimately 'pays for' the millions that we charge to our parent company, to our clients? And this is the tippity-top of the iceberg, these companies have to implement and upgrade and convert to get their financial data ready for processing, they need to adjust in-bound and out-bound streams to handle the new data, they need additional calculations and reports to deal with the regs, they spend more time with auditors to learn the regs, to show they're in compliance, etc etc.

And one simple example of a useless regulation is Expected Credit Losses, something IFRS has adopted and US GAAP has talked about adopting. It's fucking useless bullshit and will take millions for these bigger financial institutions to show compliance. Think about how long politicians debated the regs, how many hours auditors have spent analyzing the impact, how much time my single company has spent and will continue to spend updating our software, our clients spending money on upgrading, on learning the regs, etc....this one regulation will cost tens of billions world-wide, and it's not the financial institutions that'll be 'paying for it', that's for damn sure.

These are fun points but both FASB and IASB are private organizations. These are examples of industries self-regulating. Not the big bad gubment squashing the private sector and their profits. Now if you used SEC regs as an example it'd be a different story.
Quote Reply

Prev Next