Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please advise on my fitting, new bike
Quote | Reply
Please critique my position

I have taken two pictures: one with the leg down, and another one with leg up.
I think I did not place hip sticker right, it has moved to the top. I did measurement on average hip marker position
Another marker on the shoulder was all the way on the front

The saddle JOF55 can move upfront another 4-5mm, leveled. I am sitting on the wide part more to the back than on front.

It is comfortable, at least 2 min on trainer. The bike is not put together completely, I would like to get the right position first, then install the cables and cut housings to the size

In general, is there anything in looks bad?
What to improve?

Should I remove a spacer to get lower? I am considering myself flexible, I have no problem to bend a little more

Should I get a longer steam? It has 90mm, I am thinking to get 110 mm or 100mm

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Please advise on my fitting, new bike [potomuchto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would try sitting more forward on the saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: Please advise on my fitting, new bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Thanks, can you explain why
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
potomuchto wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

Thanks, can you explain why

It wasn't my comment, but I think the point is that the back of the saddle, where you are now, is not going to be where you wind up while actually riding on the road. So it makes sense when taking pics and analyzing position to sit where you're going to wind up on the seat. This is a common mistake in "posed" pics like this.

Also, if you're using a split-nose saddle and sitting on the back of it, you're kind of defeating the purpose. Were you to sit up on the prongs as it's designed for, you'd probably be able to rotate your pelvis forward. Of course, this would change the entire fit, which is the point of the comment.

Unrelated: I would advise you to lower the top of your head.
Last edited by: vjohn: Feb 1, 17 13:14
Quote Reply
Re: Please advise on my fitting, new bike [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't that arm position result in you triceps getting very tired and can you run after that closing your hips that much?

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to cover that electrical outlet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
You need to cover that electrical outlet.
I uncovered great source of power, lets leave it open
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
... it makes sense when taking pics and analyzing position to sit where you're going to wind up on the seat.
Also, if you're using a split-nose saddle and sitting on the back of it, you're kind of defeating the purpose. Were you to sit up on the prongs as it's designed for, you'd probably be able to rotate your pelvis forward. Of course, this would change the entire fit, which is the point of the comment.

Ok, I will move forward once I get longer steam
But I am not sure I can seat on tip of the prongs all half or full distance, maybe some time but not all the time
Quote Reply
Re: Please advise on my fitting, new bike [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teinvall wrote:
Wouldn't that arm position result in you triceps getting very tired and can you run after that closing your hips that much?

What would you do to fix it?
I have ordered longer stem, do you think it will help with the arms position?

i did not run off this bike yet, will have to try
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you need a longer stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
potomuchto wrote:
vjohn wrote:
... it makes sense when taking pics and analyzing position to sit where you're going to wind up on the seat.

Ok, I will move forward once I get longer steam
But I am not sure I can seat on tip of the prongs all half or full distance, maybe some time but not all the time

1. You'll probably need to slide the seat back a good bit in order for it to be in the right place when you're sitting on it properly. As a rough guess, you probably need your hips a few cm forward of where they are now, and the seat needs to be a few cm back from where it is now. It's like your sit bones and the seat will meet somewhere in the middle, if that makes sense.

2. If you can't sit on the seat where it's designed to be sat upon for the duration of your event, then it's not the right seat for you. There are lots of options in split-nose saddles though, as well as "conventional" saddles suitable for multisport. Check the various seat articles here at slowtwitch.

3. Get the seat in the right place first, height, then setback, before worrying about stem length.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe you should come forward. Don't know where you should sit on that saddle but it looks like your seat and how you sit on it looks more like a road bike not a tt bike

If you move forward you can move your elbow closer to the arm pad at the same time you open the hip angle

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No expert here, but first thing I saw was that you looked far back. Slide forward on the saddle. It takes a little while to get used to, but you should get there after a few weeks. If you just flat out don't like sitting up forward, get rid of a split nosed saddle. You may get forward enough with just changing position on this saddle and not having to move it.

Then once you figure out the hip angle you can see if your arms are extended too much or not enough. In the current "back" position, it appears your arms would get very tired. But if you were rotate forward with the same arm extension/angle, it may not be that uncomfortable.
Quote Reply