Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Zealand is my kind of place?
Quote | Reply
"New Zealand Is ‘the Future,’ Peter Thiel Said in His Push for Citizenship

That was pretty much Peter Thiel’s feeling a few years ago, when the tech investor and future adviser to Donald J. Trump decided he loved the South Pacific island nation so much he wanted to become a citizen there.

“I am happy to say categorically that I have found no other country that aligns more with my view of the future than New Zealand,” Mr. Thiel wrote in his application. The 49-year-old investor, who was born in Germany, was granted New Zealand citizenship in 2011 but kept his American citizenship."

Isn't it grand when you have found the Utopia you've always been looking for? Yes Peter, now that you found it, get the hell out of the USA you whiny bitch. Hey, maybe he and Lebron are related?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand is my kind of place? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck.

Have you seen NZ's immigration policy?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand is my kind of place? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too many earthquakes, but they do have some kick ass outdoors and of course the Lord of the Rings, Middle earth tours.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“I am happy to say categorically that I have found no other country that aligns more with my view of the future than New Zealand,” Mr. Thiel wrote in his application. The 49-year-old investor, who was born in Germany, was granted New Zealand citizenship in 2011 but kept his American citizenship."

There are lots of American citizens living in other countries around the world while keeping their American citizenship. I've met lots who prefer living overseas to living in the U.S but they keep their citizenship.

Is that a problem?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
work with a guy from New Zeland, he says there are a lot of sheep fuckers there.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand is my kind of place? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

There are lots of American citizens living in other countries around the world while keeping their American citizenship. I've met lots who prefer living overseas to living in the U.S but they keep their citizenship.

Is that a problem?

Yes. The problem is all those people that find nirvana somewhere else, or promise to move because some political figure wins an election, they NEVER move. It's just pure unadulterated BS. I am calling every one of them on their BS because as far as I can tell almost 2 months after the election they are all sitting on their lazy asses:

• Bryan Cranston said he’d move to Canada, the most popular destination—and also far above the United States in the latest economic-freedom rankings.
  • Raven-Symoné—whom I only knew as a Cosby kid but apparently now is some sort of impresario—said she’d move to Canada, indeed already had a ticket, “if any Republican gets nominated [did she mean elected?].”
  • Neve Campbell, who’s already Canadian, would return to her (and my) home province of Ontario.
  • ChloĂ« Sevigny likewise had a particular Canadian province in mind, Nova Scotia.
  • Lena Dunham was even more specific, pointing to Vancouver as her choice. “I know a lot of people have been threatening to do this, but I really will.” I can’t confirm reports that Dunham is being sued for not doing so by the not-insignificant number of people who voted for Trump on this basis alone.
  • Barbra Streisand was picking between Canada and Australia (which is also freer than America).
  • Chelsea Handler has a house in Spain already, and threatened to move there permanently.
  • Amy Schumer also promised to move to Spain “or somewhere.”
  • George Lopez said he’d go back to Mexico.
  • Samuel L. Jackson had perhaps the most original choice: South Africa.

And I forgot the Queen of BS:

Last edited by: jkca1: Feb 1, 17 8:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don't understand your problem. People immigrate to other countries all the time. Why would it be any different for Americans. For some, now might seem like a good time to go. I have a friend with dual American/Canadian citizenship who has lived in the USA for twenty years but now feels this is a good time to move back to Canada. He's moving back in May. Interest by Americans in New Zealand is up 600% since Trump. 300% for Canada.

http://www.bbc.com/...aving-trumps-america
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand is my kind of place? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
I really don't understand your problem. People immigrate to other countries all the time. Why would it be any different for Americans. For some, now might seem like a good time to go. I have a friend with dual American/Canadian citizenship who has lived in the USA for twenty years but now feels this is a good time to move back to Canada. He's moving back in May. Interest by Americans in New Zealand is up 600% since Trump. 300% for Canada.

http://www.bbc.com/...aving-trumps-america

I have no problem if you really leave. Just go, make sure the lights are turned out. Have a nice trip.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. The problem is all those people that find nirvana somewhere else, or promise to move because some political figure wins an election, they NEVER move.

Oh, I didn't realize your post was about someone saying they would leave.

We hear that all the time here in Canada, During the Iraq war we were told a lot of Americans were going to flood the borders and we heard it again during the Trump campaign, particularly from celebrities. This website was created during the campaign and had a lot of response but I don't think any Americans responded. If they did, it certainly wasn't because of Trump.

http://cbiftrumpwins.com/#intro
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand is my kind of place? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Yes. The problem is all those people that find nirvana somewhere else, or promise to move because some political figure wins an election, they NEVER move.

Oh, I didn't realize your post was about someone saying they would leave.

We hear that all the time here in Canada, During the Iraq war we were told a lot of Americans were going to flood the borders and we heard it again during the Trump campaign, particularly from celebrities. This website was created during the campaign and had a lot of response but I don't think any Americans responded. If they did, it certainly wasn't because of Trump.

http://cbiftrumpwins.com/#intro

Np. I have been waiting for Rosie O'Donnell to move so I can purchase some waterfront property:

"Rosie O'Donnell asking $6.05 million for 1.02-acre waterfront spread in Florida."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you find the perfect place don't do there because you will likely spoil it.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you seen NZ's immigration policy?

Politics aside - New Zealand is an amazing place. If not so far away and isolated, and could make it work financially, I would move there in a heart-beat.

I spent 2 months there back in the mid 1990's travelling extensively around both the North and South Islands. In two small islands they jam in, all the geography of North America!

The whole country seems to be into some form of outdoor sports recreation. They love their rugby, obviously, but also have a massive passion for endurance sports. I was out for a ride on a super windy day (it's always super windy there) and an old guy, in a car, passes me, then slows down and allows me to draft off of him for about 5km!

My family is from the UK and in Canada, we've distanced ourselves from many things British, were as in NZ they have maintained, some of those behaviors and traditions. I like that - even though I am a passionate Canadian.

. . . but it's a long way from everywhere!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand is my kind of place? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking into moving there.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking into moving there.

I know you surf. Some of the most amazing beaches I've been on in the world, were in NZ.

When we were on the west coast of the South Island, I saw some of the biggest surf I've ever seen in my life (massive but un-rideable) on this completely abandoned beach that went on forever!

I have to imagine that with so much ocean exposure, there has to be good surf somewhere in NZ.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand is my kind of place? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
If you find the perfect place don't do there because you will likely spoil it.

Gotcha. Goes with my family motto "Never join a group that would have you as a member".

Quote Reply