Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The democrats strike back [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:

I have said on this forum before and will say again; if a real solution was ever proposed and implemented I would expect at a minimum the results to me would be:
1) wages taxed for full amounts of SS and Medicaid up to last dollar of wages
2) means tested completely out of SS benefits.

If you could provide me with a guarantee of a fix I would sign on to that.

Just in case you think we are in disagreement about what it means for the country as a whole to get serious about the problem.

BINGO! My thoughts exactly. I don't know why it's such a big deal to everyone. This is literally how my retirement plan is set up currently. ALL of my wages are still subject to FICA taxes though I'm close to finally getting some of my bonuses beyond the cutoff. At the same time, my relative youth has me pretty much completely discounting the eventual SS payments I may receive. If I do...great...but my plan is not to need them. I don't even make that much money - obviously if all of it is subject to FICA - and I can easily save enough not to need them. Folks who are way past my income level should have no issues whatsoever...if they plan right.
Quote Reply
Re: The democrats strike back [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
If only he could find some appropriate position for Sarah Palin where she could be on TV almost everyday?

He missed an opportunity: Trump could have killed off several generations of Democrats by nominating her to the Supreme Court or Secretary State.
Quote Reply
Re: The democrats strike back [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:

I have said on this forum before and will say again; if a real solution was ever proposed and implemented I would expect at a minimum the results to me would be:
1) wages taxed for full amounts of SS and Medicaid up to last dollar of wages
2) means tested completely out of SS benefits.

If you could provide me with a guarantee of a fix I would sign on to that.

Just in case you think we are in disagreement about what it means for the country as a whole to get serious about the problem.

It doesn't even have to be that Draconian. You do the following:

Means test (ALMOST everyone is for this) by extending the earned income offset through age 70.
Increase by the wages subject to SS by 100% over the next 4 years.
Subject dividend income to SS tax.
Increase retirement age by 5 years.

It is baffling to me that they cannot get this done. Everyone loses, so everyone wins.

I really feel that this is the one good thing Trump can do.
Last edited by: ajthomas: Feb 1, 17 14:49
Quote Reply
Re: The democrats strike back [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
this is as far as I am going to shill for him.

Thank you. I had a quick skim through. I've heard that the U.S. tax code is extraordinarily ponderous - and that simplification would be good.

and the rest of your post and my response?

As to how to REALLY tackle a bad deficit/debt cycle - obviously the quickest way, is to reduce spending and increase revenue - that worked in Canada. But when I say "quick" it was 10+ years to get it really under control. We also had a bit of a windfall and help from mineral extraction and international sales/taxes - Oil/gas from the Alberta Oil Sands and Potash from Saskatchewan.

just following up on our discussion; I thought this article was interesting when combined with our discussion of Trump's tax plan, including the repatriation of cash part.

http://www.usatoday.com/...rows-again/80451180/
Quote Reply
Re: The democrats strike back [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just following up on our discussion; I thought this article was interesting when combined with our discussion of Trump's tax plan, including the repatriation of cash part.

I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to the higher level of economics and financing - why with so much cash does Apple need to still borrow money? And why the mountain of cash in the first place? What is the point of that?

As to the repatriation of U.S. cash - are you talking about US cash that is abroad? If that's the case, I have often wondered how big that amount was. I spent a year traveling around the world in the mid 1990's - everyone and everywhere back then even in the most remote places in far away places like Vietnam or Cambodia would be working in U.S. cash. It was like the local currency was irrelevant. What is the total number of US dollars under mattresses and in other more legit and secure places around the world? That has to be a substantial number

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The democrats strike back [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to the higher level of economics and financing - why with so much cash does Apple need to still borrow money? And why the mountain of cash in the first place? What is the point of that?

As to the repatriation of U.S. cash - are you talking about US cash that is abroad? If that's the case, I have often wondered how big that amount was. I spent a year traveling around the world in the mid 1990's - everyone and everywhere back then even in the most remote places in far away places like Vietnam or Cambodia would be working in U.S. cash. It was like the local currency was irrelevant. What is the total number of US dollars under mattresses and in other more legit and secure places around the world? That has to be a substantial number

No expert either I will tell you what I think
Apple has ton of cash because the have made tons of profit in us and internationally. Many of their shareholders believe if they are not going to use to investthey should return to shareholders via dividend (as a long time shareholder I agree; I have had almost my entire original investment returned via dividends on a stock that is wildly higher than when I bought it: win win). All of this is a good problem to have and why apple is a good company
My understanding from a street.com article is $10b in cash resides in US and $200+b resides overseas. I don't know whether it was earned overseas and kept overseas or some was transferred there
Either way Apple is choosing to take on debt in the form of bonds at historically low interest rates to pay out dividends. I assume because the tax rate and/or what they believe is investment return on this cash is higher than using the cash. Kind of like the decisions individuals make to prepay a mortgage or not but in reverse.
Assuming you have to pay 25-35% tax rate on this "cash" (don't know why/if that's true) before it can be used to pay div. better to issue debt at 5% (interest which is deductible) and keep the cash for other investment.
Trumps tax plan we discussed earlier said approx $2.5T in cash from us companies lies overseas. If true that means almost 10% of that is apple cash. Trump proposes that his tax relief would be paid for in part by raising tax on very rich and part by 10% tax on this overseas cash. If you leave overseas you still pay 10%. But a reduced 10% rate (again I don't know what rate is/how it works currently) allows companies to bring back and use in us for expansion, payment of dividends etc etc. 10% tax vs. issuing bonds at 5% may change the thinking above

Not building a case for anything. I have just enjoyed our discussion and wanted to forward a second article which I think relates to the first so we could both continue our education

Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next