Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

John Lynch and the Niners
Quote | Reply
Damn. I had as much experience as Lynch did as a GM. They gave him a 6 year contract???? Looks like Jed is determined to destroy the franchise. Even if they get Shanny they still don't have a QB.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: John Lynch and the Niners [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On one hand, I would expect GMs to be given a bit longer leash just because it takes time to bring in your own players.

On the other hand, I don't know what sort of experience Lynch would have post-career that would lead me to give him a 6 year contract. I think this is going to blow up spectacularly, unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Re: John Lynch and the Niners [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they're a mess. they've fired 3 coaches in 3 years. ballard, the new colts GM, turned it down. i'm sure york needed to commit to a full rebuild and lynch will need to bring in some good scouts and front office people to help. lynch goes from the booth to the front office with nothing in between. also bringing in a first time HC but at least he can call his dad for advice.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Immediately, I thought "Matt Millen".

As I've had a few hours to process this, I am still thinking "Matt Millen".

Lynch was a great player, solid in the booth....and zero skills in terms of front office management of a football team. Maybe he has an eye for talent, maybe not. Maybe Paraag Marathe (ugh) will be the structural organizational guy and continue with the contract negotiations and stay out of all other meetings as they relate to football, and Lynch and Shanahan will be the talent evaluators---offensive and defensive minds.

It could work.

My hopes, however, are low.
Quote Reply
Re: John Lynch and the Niners [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as a Seahawks fan I just have to say, great hire.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
York is an idiot, but he's our idiot. There's nothing about Lynch that indicates 'talent evaluator' other than he prepares really hard, whatever that means.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, they hired an ex-player, current announcer, with no front office experience. What could possibly go wrong???

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: John Lynch and the Niners [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as a Seahawks fan I just have to say, great hire.

As someone who is becoming less and less interested in the NFL, I am kinda looking forward to the train wreck.
Quote Reply
Re: John Lynch and the Niners [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
On one hand, I would expect GMs to be given a bit longer leash just because it takes time to bring in your own players.

On the other hand, I don't know what sort of experience Lynch would have post-career that would lead me to give him a 6 year contract. I think this is going to blow up spectacularly, unfortunately.

Exactly! The 49'ers are the Browns of the west. They have to pay Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly for three more years, plus whatever they're going to pay Shanahan.
Quote Reply
Re: John Lynch and the Niners [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
So, they hired an ex-player, current announcer, with no front office experience. What could possibly go wrong???

Different sport but The Leafs hired Brendan Shanahan with no front office experience to be their President and it's working out great so far.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: John Lynch and the Niners [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new Browns started out with the 49ers front office from the 80s/90s.

That worked out for us.
Quote Reply
Re: John Lynch and the Niners [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
JSA wrote:

Different sport but The Leafs hired Brendan Shanahan with no front office experience to be their President and it's working out great so far.

How'd that work out for Gretzky and PHX? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike C wrote:
Immediately, I thought "Matt Millen".

As I've had a few hours to process this, I am still thinking "Matt Millen".

Lynch was a great player, solid in the booth....and zero skills in terms of front office management of a football team. Maybe he has an eye for talent, maybe not. Maybe Paraag Marathe (ugh) will be the structural organizational guy and continue with the contract negotiations and stay out of all other meetings as they relate to football, and Lynch and Shanahan will be the talent evaluators---offensive and defensive minds.

It could work.

My hopes, however, are low.

Yeah man. As a Lion's fan I immediately thought of Matt. He was going to be the Lion's savior....

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved into the Raiders camp 2 years ago.

Had followed the Niners since '81.