Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tell me why I shouldn't dump my Cervelo P5 [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
ridenfish39 wrote:
I will never get why the P4 is supposedly so fast with 2 brakes and cables hanging out in the wind. So, if Cervelo made a hidden brake and cable version of the P4 it should be the fastest TT bike of all time........

The cynics would say: I don't know what the P4 has hanging there in the wind, but "braking" wasn't part of the job description.

hahahah....thanks for this tessar...I LOL'd! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I shouldn't dump my Cervelo P5 [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
I thought that Q-factor had to do with the cranks and not the frame. What have I missed?

It's both really + the bottom bracket. As far as I know there are no cranks that bend inward toward the frame. The best you can do is dead flat (like the Rotor ones). So the frame sets a floor for the q-factor.

If I got adapters and tried to put my old campy BB into the P5, the tapers wouldn't stick out enough because the P5 hole is 79mm wide (rather than 68).

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I shouldn't dump my Cervelo P5 [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
ridenfish39 wrote:
I will never get why the P4 is supposedly so fast with 2 brakes and cables hanging out in the wind. So, if Cervelo made a hidden brake and cable version of the P4 it should be the fastest TT bike of all time........

The cynics would say: I don't know what the P4 has hanging there in the wind, but "braking" wasn't part of the job description.

Braking workedish sorta. For most tris the braking was fine. If I was doing boulder Peak on it I would probably be a bit sketched out on it considering I went off roading once and can easily hit 50 coming down old stage. Also I was using the original Ventus which were basically razor blades for brake levers.

But it was a great bike. I cut a hole in the side of the waterbottle and used it for spare tire and flat repair storage.

The big problem with that bike was the release right in the middle of the introduction to wide wheels. It was very hard to get anything besides a flat disk to not rub in the back. But over all loved the bike.

And the first year had the cracking issues behind the seat post. But that was fixed in the newer version.

To the OP: do the 5-3's have the hydraulic brakes? If so I'm not sure how you don't like those. I've been on DA, SRAM, Tririg and these are by far the best brakes I've had. I would put them on my road bike if I could.

I love the p5-6, but it is a highend race bike. You have to expect it's going to be a bit more work to maintain then a p3 from 2006.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I shouldn't dump my Cervelo P5 [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
To the OP: do the 5-3's have the hydraulic brakes? If so I'm not sure how you don't like those. I've been on DA, SRAM, Tririg and these are by far the best brakes I've had. I would put them on my road bike if I could.

You can! SRAM makes hydro rim brakes, not only hydro discs. Rotor's new Uno groupset uses essentially the same Magura brakes that the Cervelo P-series has.

Here's the SRAM HRR group: https://www.bike24.com/...pgc%5B14319%5D=14321

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I shouldn't dump my Cervelo P5 [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting post. I'm in a similar situation and don't disagree with what you wrote but here's the other side you might consider:

Older P3 has a 38mm chainstay and this produces an very poor chain line and adds to the friction loss as well.

Older P3 has a very small width for the rear wheel meaning that you can't take advantage of the modern wider wheels and lower rolling resistance of a wider tire

Older P3 is going to fit differently in most cases (this is a neutral but I thought I'd point it out).

Older P3 has more exposed cables

There's probably more but I'm at work and I don't have much time to post. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I shouldn't dump my Cervelo P5 [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's right....

Sell I and get a speed concept instead... Everyone wins!
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I shouldn't dump my Cervelo P5 [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
...So, if Cervelo made a hidden brake and cable version of the P4 it should be the fastest TT bike of all time...

I don't see anyone arguing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NYSLIM wrote:
Interesting post. I'm in a similar situation and don't disagree with what you wrote but here's the other side you might consider:

Older P3 has a 38mm chainstay and this produces an very poor chain line and adds to the friction loss as well. i don't really notice that

Older P3 has a very small width for the rear wheel meaning that you can't take advantage of the modern wider wheels and lower rolling resistance of a wider tire. i am running zipp firecrest tubulars with 25mm comp's...no problems at all...

Older P3 is going to fit differently in most cases (this is a neutral but I thought I'd point it out). i actually prefer long/low

Older P3 has more exposed cables can be true...but I have eTap on mine...with omega x brakes...it's pretty clean

There's probably more but I'm at work and I don't have much time to post. :)

i have had/ridden both...and just have come to the conclusion I really don't lose/gain much either way...but prefer the seatpost storage option on the older P3 better...prefer the ability to choose/change the front end set-up...and just don't see anyone ever doing anything for the P5 area at the down/seat tubes...then one other added benefit is my 2012 P3 is right at 2 lbs lighter...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Here's my salvage plan for the P5:

1) Replace crappy aura Pro bars with either Morf, USE Tula, or Aero-or-die

2) Replace front brake with Tri-rig Omega (what should I use for rear?)

3) Get 150mm 3D+ powermax crank with BBInfinite bottom bracket (http://www.bbinfinite.com/...m?variant=9864593283) This should give me a 149 Q-factor

4) Switch to speedplay zero pedals with Ti spindles (brings feet 2X3mm closer in)

Any thoughts on this plan?

tia, jens

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
morf is now uci legal?

no zero aero? see other posts on drag savings :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me why I shouldn't dump my Cervelo P5 [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
morf is now uci legal?

no zero aero? see other posts on drag savings :)

Yup. I am using the zero aero. Morf bars are not officially legal. They're not officially illegal either and I don't see anything in the guidelines that would prohibit them. I haven't decided yet whether to take the risk. If the advantage is more than 5 watts, I might.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, they are not available yet either, so.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Any thoughts about the rest of the setup? What kind of rear brake?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im not sure exactly which one it is...but I believe there is a TRP brake that works on the P5...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano has a narrower Q factor than 149 and will fit on BBRight. Same with SRAM. Neither make 150mm cranks though if that's what you're after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pretty sure you can use an omega on the bottom if you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's necessary to go to the Ti speedplays to get the shorter spindles. If I remember correctly you can get the stainless steel spindles in a range of lengths. 53mm is standard and 50, 56, 59 and 65mm are also available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NYSLIM wrote:
Older P3 has more exposed cables

Where?

(cheated slightly by getting out the drill)

;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
pretty sure you can use an omega on the bottom if you want.

I have mounted one, but I don't think it's a good solution - at least you would need to tinker with it more than the ~4 hours I used. You need to stack it pretty far from the frame and the cable routing becomes somewhat convoluted. I've bought a TRP T925.1R that I intend to use if I keep the mechanical brake - I might just switch back to the hydraulic Maguras, which I actually find pretty nice performance-wise.

I think a nice middle-of-the-road solution would be Omega X up front and Magura in the back, but it's really not pretty having two different brake levers! If just somebody made a nice and small mechanical to hydraulic converter that could fit inside the frame, but I haven't been able to find one for sale.
Quote Reply

Prev Next