Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gaslighting the US
Quote | Reply
I came across an article about the gaslighting of the US by our present administration.

Here is the article that attracted my attention:

http://www.cnn.com/...ting-america-ghitis/
the definition from the good old dictionary
verb (gaslights, gaslighting, gaslighted) [ withobj. ]mmanipulate (someone) by psychological means intoquestioning their own sanity: in the first episode, Karen Valentine is being gaslighted by her husband.[from the storyline of the movie Gaslight (1944), in which a man psychologically manipulates his wife into believing that she is going insane.]
and a little more from Wikepedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

How we adapt and can be manipulated by misdirection is explained by the interaction of our type I intuitive processes and our type II cognitive processes.

This book presents these processes:

Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman published in 2011

https://www.amazon.com/...ding=UTF8&btkr=1

Any thoughts about whether gaslighting applies to our present circumstances?

I was fascinated to see it actually has a name
Quote Reply
Re: Gaslighting the US [sametime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Gaslighting is a form of mental abuse. There is a difference between propaganda whichbis designed to pursued a desirable polical response or acceptance than gaslighting. . When a legitimate news site publishes garbage like this, they are hurting their credibility.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All they are really saying is that Trump is a bull shitter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about we have been "gaslighted" for at least the last 4 administrations? Maybe this "gaslighting" of the public these last 30+ years has taken us to the point where reintroducing some common sense for once seems evil.

I dunno...I gotta' go "gaslight" my two youngest into thinking that going to bed an hour earlier might not be so bad for their cold's.
Quote Reply
Re: Gaslighting the US [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, they are saying Trump is a shitty bullshitter; unlike many of the presidents that preceded him. Oh, that and he's a complete fucking moron.

330 million people to pick from and Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump made the short list. So much for the world's "greatest" democracy!
Quote Reply
Re: Gaslighting the US [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Gaslighting isnt bullshitting. It is a behavior that has very real emotional and even physical consequences in an abusive relationship. For the media to casually throw around such a serious term is offensive to people in abusive relationships and they american people. It is leftist propaganda and sensational. This is why CNN has lost a lot of credibility. They are singlehandedly stoking the flames of drama.

When something serious happens, nobody will listen.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Gaslighting the US [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
No, they are saying Trump is a shitty bullshitter; unlike many of the presidents that preceded him. Oh, that and he's a complete fucking moron.

330 million people to pick from and Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump made the short list. So much for the world's "greatest" democracy!

I won't disagree with this.

Quote Reply
Re: Gaslighting the US [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
How about we have been "gaslighted" for at least the last 4 administrations? Maybe this "gaslighting" of the public these last 30+ years has taken us to the point where reintroducing some common sense for once seems evil.

I dunno...I gotta' go "gaslight" my two youngest into thinking that going to bed an hour earlier might not be so bad for their cold's.

Damn, is that the sound of sanity entering our collective halls? We're damn lucky we're separated from Europe by an ocean otherwise there would be carnage in our streets weekly from the jihadists.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Gaslighting the US [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

This should be the quote that unites the left and the right.
Quote Reply
Re: Gaslighting the US [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
No. Gaslighting isnt bullshitting. It is a behavior that has very real emotional and even physical consequences in an abusive relationship. For the media to casually throw around such a serious term is offensive to people in abusive relationships and they american people.

Here here.

See also:

Racism
Misogyny
Oppression

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your last point is the one everyone should be concerned about

The rest is just noise..........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
No. Gaslighting is a form of mental abuse. There is a difference between propaganda whichbis designed to pursued a desirable polical response or acceptance than gaslighting. . When a legitimate news site publishes garbage like this, they are hurting their credibility.

My understanding of the term is that it's a tactic, a way of confusing it's target by making them question their understanding of events. You could say it's a form of psychological abuse, I suppose, but I think it comes down to whether or not you believe Trump is consciously employing this tactic to achieve that end, or if he's just conditioned to utter denials when no denials are plausible. Reference his pussy grabbing comments made in private and how he said it's not "who I am" (things said in confidence pretty much reflect exactly who you are at that point in time); his explicit attack on Senator Cruz' wife's appearance, and subsequent claim that it wasn't about her appearance; his relationship to Birtherism; his referring to the intel community as a Nazi state, then subsequent claim, in front of their Wall of Stars, that no one loves the intel community more than him. Etc., etc.

It's hard to say it isn't deliberate, and whether or not that meets the definition of Gaslighting is almost splitting hairs. The behavior is well established, predictable, and continuous. Attacking a news site in response, it seems to me, falls squarely in line with what a gaslighter would hope to accomplish.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Gaslighting the US [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call this gaslighting yet I am definitely questioning my sanity.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Gaslighting the US [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
TheForge wrote:

My understanding of the term is that it's a tactic, a way of confusing it's target by making them question their understanding of events. You could say it's a form of psychological abuse, I suppose, but I think it comes down to whether or not you believe Trump is consciously employing this tactic to achieve that end, or if he's just conditioned to utter denials when no denials are plausible. Reference his pussy grabbing comments made in private and how he said it's not "who I am" (things said in confidence pretty much reflect exactly who you are at that point in time); his explicit attack on Senator Cruz' wife's appearance, and subsequent claim that it wasn't about her appearance; his relationship to Birtherism; his referring to the intel community as a Nazi state, then subsequent claim, in front of their Wall of Stars, that no one loves the intel community more than him. Etc., etc.

It's hard to say it isn't deliberate, and whether or not that meets the definition of Gaslighting is almost splitting hairs. The behavior is well established, predictable, and continuous. Attacking a news site in response, it seems to me, falls squarely in line with what a gaslighter would hope to accomplish.

So what you are saying is the American media are "gas lighting"? Just for the fun of it I listed to the press briefing live last week. An hour later I went to CNN's website. Pretty much all their stories were inaccurate and designed to twist the words spoke by Trumps' Press Sec. If things get violent among the left, mostly millennial protestors I expect the media, especially the CNN's of the world will have blood on their hands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karen Valentine was my first love. Room 222.

Quote Reply
Re: Gaslighting the US [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why the term in innapropriate. The subject of a gaslight isn't open to interpretation. It is is when a person lies about something the other person knows to be true for the specific purpose of not convincing them they are wrong but to make them question their sanity and break down their sense of what is real and what isn't.

Let's take the crowds at the inauguration. That would seem like the most obvious example of gaslighting. But that isn't the case. Trump may well be delusional enough to believe what he is saying? The purpose may be designed to damage the credibility of the media in the mind of his followers who already don't trust the media. Or it may well be a matte of interpretation. All would fall under propaganda at best.

Gasligting is when the gaslighter intentionally questions something the somebody knows to be true. The victim then is left not believing what the gaslighter says but questioning their sanity and falling by under the control of the gaslighter. To say the trump admin is gaslighting the American people would be to say that every person in the administration is intentionally trying to breakdown the sanity of the American people so they can control them. Gaslighting is also a psychopthic behavior. So it would by definition men calling the president and his admininstrion psychopathic. Remember the shit I got when I called Obama one? So much I felt compelled to admit I was wrong and takenit back. I completely expect a consistent response from the people who were offended when I said that. But I won't hold my breath.

Quote Reply