Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

damn phones and wireless companies!
Quote | Reply
I swear they have these damn phones programmed to start fucking up right after the contract expires to try and force you into upgrading to a new phone.

I have an iPhone 6, no problems whatsoever for 2 whole years until a few weeks back when my contract expired. Phones battery drains super fast now, it shuts down showing low battery symbol on the screen when the battery % shows 30%+ left.

I'm convinced that they are behind the scenes forcing people to think about buying a new phone.
Last edited by: SkipG: Jan 29, 17 15:54
Quote Reply
Re: damn phones and wireless companies! [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
I swear they have these damn phones programmed to start fucking up right after the contract expires to try and force you into upgrading to a new phone.

I have an iPhone 6, no problems whatsoever for 2 whole years until a few weeks back when my contract expired. Phones battery drains super fast now, it shuts down showing low battery symbol on the screen when the battery % shows 30%+ left.

I'm convinced that they are behind the scenes forcing people to think about buying a new phone.
If you believe in conspiracies, the key is to root your phone. Then you will know that their software isn't causing problems. (I doubt it is, but....)
Quote Reply
Re: damn phones and wireless companies! [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did that with my previous iPhone 5 and found out that my work email app (Good Mobile) was programmed to disable itself if the phone was jailbroken. It took me all of 24 hours to realize the necessity of work email on the phone and back to a factory-setting device.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:

Nope that's an issue with iOS 10.1 Apple barely acknowledges the issue as they tend to do when they have a fuck up that they can't seem to fix.

From what I've read 10.2.1 doesn't fix it either.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Jan 29, 17 17:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here you go.

http://www.express.co.uk/...tdown-Drain-Too-Fast

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: damn phones and wireless companies! [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have held off on the 10.2 update. Every new update seems to present a new problem after fixing old ones. Also each new update seems to try and force you towards buying more storage.
Quote Reply
Re: damn phones and wireless companies! [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ive had 10.1 for a while it's just strange how problems just started days after my contract was up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
still cell-less
here.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I replaced my battery on my apple 4s iphone once, it takes some time and voids any warranty but give it a try.

I was fed up for the same exact reason they make the phones to last the time of the contract.I held off for a whole year until I got a new phone. This fall I finally said screw it after 15 years with Verizon and switched to Sprint, wife and i got new phones via buy one get one free. We also saved about 10 bucks off our monthly bill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a bit pricey up front, but buy your phone outright then shop around for a better plan.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: damn phones and wireless companies! [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
It's a bit pricey up front, but buy your phone outright then shop around for a better plan.
yeah told my wife I'm buying the next phone outright. It will sting a little upfront for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seem to be okay. Of course, I have a 5S with 8.0.2...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other thing to realize is that most Lithium-Ion or Lithium-Polymer batteries have lifespans that are defined in charge cycles, not anything else. The average battery degrades after 500-600 charge cycles, so just shy of 2 years if you charge it daily. Some are better than others, but its definitely a technological issue moreso than a phone company scheme...
Quote Reply
Re: damn phones and wireless companies! [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about doing this with my wife's latest phone when her old one was dying, but the stupid thing is that going with Verizon's "Edge" plan where the retail price is broken down into 24 interest free payments and the trade in incentive they had going made it by far the cheapest option. She got a new phone, added the payment for that to our plan, and somehow the trade in incentive still made our bill decrease by ~$20/month. I still don't understand it.

BCtriguy1 wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Similar story but off topic. We had a customer in doing a FAT on a machine. He was telling us a story how they had a vendor in and the vendor said "I'll be going to Japan next month". He slips up and says something to the effect of "They'll be calling me for a service call". Turns out the guy programs the machines he works to fuck up at some point after the warranty date on some of his customers to get "Free" travel and make a few extra bucks. They promptly ushered him out of the building and invited him to never come back....so no it wouldn't surprise me if other companies did this sort of thing.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been doing OK with not doing updates after the first year of ownership. updates near the 2 year mark equal phone death.

To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Reach high, think big, work hard, have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
yeah told my wife I'm buying the next phone outright. It will sting a little upfront for sure.

Then don't buy an Iphone. Lots of better deals on unlocked Android phones. Better phones, too.
Quote Reply
Re: damn phones and wireless companies! [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I thought about doing this with my wife's latest phone when her old one was dying, but the stupid thing is that going with Verizon's "Edge" plan where the retail price is broken down into 24 interest free payments and the trade in incentive they had going made it by far the cheapest option. She got a new phone, added the payment for that to our plan, and somehow the trade in incentive still made our bill decrease by ~$20/month. I still don't understand it.

We ended up on a plan like that after my last upgrade (iPhone+AT&T). I figured it'd be cheaper to just buy outright and was prepared to do so, but they kept pricing it out cheaper for me to buy the phone on installments and then provide each line in the family with a credit on our shared data plan. It made no sense to me at first, but I figured out that's how they try to keep you instead of the old 2-yr service contract since other competing carriers started offering to pay your exit fees to break the old contracts; now it's tied to your phone, so they're willing to take a 'loss' (on paper, no doubt it's baked into the inflated list price so it just looks like a deal giving it back) in order to keep you as a customer until the next phone upgrade cycle...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I bought my LG V10 I thought AT&T's protection plan was a rip off so I didn't buy it. It cost $100 plus another $100 if you actually use it. My V10 died one month after the warranty ran out! Something good did come out of this. I decided to just buy an unlocked $200 phone with the money I didn't spend on the protection plan. I found some pretty nice $200 phones but my Best Buy salesperson talked me up to a $270 Moto X Pure. This phone is great. It has the same size and resolution main screen as the V10. Not quite as good a camera but pretty close. Considering that it cost less than half as much as a V10 it is a great phone. From here on out I think I'll just get a good inexpensive phone instead of insisting on the latest and greatest model. I had no idea that I could get 90% as good a phone for less than half the price.

For your iphone try doing a factory reset then restore it. Back when I used iPhones I had to do this from time to time to get the battery to last longer.
Quote Reply