Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

di2 modification - JC41 & EW90-B
Quote | Reply
In lieu of hiding the whole EW90-B junction box in the stem (few options) I'm thinking I could do the following:

both sets of shifters to one JC41 each (hidden in each extension bar), then one wire from each into the bike where the EW-90B is hidden. rest of system remains as 'standard' installation. Basically i'm just removing/consolidating the number of inputs into the EW90-B junction box. This would then give me only two wires to bundle (say w/ shrink tubing) with the rear brake cable back into the frame which is way better than the 5 cables and 5 port box i've got hanging out around my stem now....

Got the idea here

http://forumdev.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Di2_Junction_Box_question_5_port_same_as_3_port%3F_P5759477/

Possible? Tested? Total shit idea?

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: di2 modification - JC41 & EW90-B [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be fine do it
Then hook up to E-tube and check connections and firmware updates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what I did on my Plasma 3 TT. Each brake and aero bar shifters went to a B junction in each extension, then another wire from one extension to the other. From there I ran a wore from one of the extension mounted B junctions to another B junction in the stem. A junction is under the saddle and only uses one wire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is how my setup is now, if you look all wires go back inside the basebar and only have 1 wire coming from the basebar and one from the frame into the bento box... both extention wires are taped down into the basebar as well for the "wiresless" look

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: di2 modification - JC41 & EW90-B [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Your install looks slick. Though, the 1 wire in/out of the extensions seem to be from the outside shifters. Are the smaller JC41's elsewhere in the cockpit rather than in the extensions?

Thanks again!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 2 junction B boxes inside the vuka stealth (it's hollow) 1 B box holds the left side shifters and the other B box holds the right shifters, briging both boxes by a small 150mm wire and in one of the open slots i have another (500mm) wire coming out to meet the A box inside the bento box.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, ok. Thanks that makes sense. Appreciate the images, really helpful.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Zipp Vuka Stealth setup like playaero has done, plus a D-Fly. My junction A is setup down by the front derailleur. It can go anywhere it will fit.

The new DA Di2 parts are trickling out and will offer some more options. There are 2 into 1 e-tube wires and the handlebar end plug Junction A. Both of these might work to for you to put everything you need in the cockpit. Of course it depends on the bars/extensions you're using.

The current XTR external mount for the Di2 internal battery also offers a small 6 port Junction B.
Quote Reply
Re: di2 modification - JC41 & EW90-B [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
The new DA Di2 parts are trickling out and will offer some more options. There are 2 into 1 e-tube wires and the handlebar end plug Junction A. Both of these might work to for you to put everything you need in the cockpit. Of course it depends on the bars/extensions you're using.

I have the TriRig aerobar with the junction box buried inside. It's a hassle to charge it, so I wanted to take one (or maybe two) of those bar plug junction boxes and put them in either aerobar extension (at the back, obviously). Anyone know if something like this might work?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: di2 modification - JC41 & EW90-B [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should work fine. Only one Junction A can be used in the system. I have heard that earlier firmware allowed more than one. That would be convenient for charging from a derailleur wire with primary Junction A hidden:(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure the new battery is needed in order to use the handlebar junction A as well as the other new attachments but i cant cofirm that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. Nothing is completely certain until they are released. But anything without a chip is going to work. So the e-tube 2 into 1 wire harnesses will work with anything.

My understanding is that the new battery was necessary for the Bluetooth capable accessories. So D-Fly and select Junction A / Displays? Standard functions may work without the new battery. Just depends on Shimano and what they allow under the upgraded firmware.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will work according to the latest shimano compatibility doc. This is a great reference for these questions.

http://productinfo.shimano.com/...mp;acid=C-473[/font]

Last edited by: goodboyr: Jan 30, 17 8:31
Quote Reply
Re: di2 modification - JC41 & EW90-B [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I found that update last night too. The chart continues expanding and the footnotes are getting more extensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone is interested this is how I ended up running my install. I'm sure not the cleanest thing but my first foray into this type of modification. I think i'm getting the most out of the Aeria T4 bars with this sort of setup, I could probably clean up a bit more by rethinking some cable lengths and then really taping/binding the wires down in some other fashion.

Hid JC-41's in the extension bars and then ran one wire back to the 5 port box stashed in the bike (totally inaccessible during a race).

Given I added a BTA setup at the same time it does seem all little funny but I think i'm going to like not having the di2 box below the stem exposed as well as keep it from getting totally gunked up from liquids/food. Give it a few races, maybe I'll rethink and try something else after I've had a bit of experience with this installation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize you were setting up a Dimond. Stashing the Junction A in the beam isn't too bad. My wife's is set up that way because we still haven't finalized her bar set up.
Quote Reply