Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to Make F'N Baked Beans...
Quote | Reply
Use a pressure cooker, it's the bomb! 3 hours start to finish for the best damned 'baked' beans ever.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Make F'N Baked Beans... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aren't they just beans? At least finish then in the oven.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Make F'N Baked Beans... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just beans? You jest good sir! Putting them in the oven for 3 hours after being in a pressure cooker for an hour (start to finish) is pretty much redundant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Use a pressure cooker, it's the bomb! 3 hours start to finish for the best damned 'baked' beans ever.

Why the micro-aggressions bro? You know my guts cant handle beans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Just beans? You jest good sir! Putting them in the oven for 3 hours after being in a pressure cooker for an hour (start to finish) is pretty much redundant.

Can you clarify your OP? Did you use the oven in addition to a pressure cooker? If not how do you get the crust and caramelization?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking your baked beans and my baked beans aren't the same thing. I suppose the ones I made are actually called Boston Brown Beans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
I'm thinking your baked beans and my baked beans aren't the same thing. I suppose the ones I made are actually called Boston Brown Beans.

so if you were to use the oven, they would be covered?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess so but why would I want to do that when I can go from dry navy beans to fully cooked beans in a little over 3 hours? 2 hours of that is soaking the beans using the "fast" method. If the beans were soaked overnight beforehand the recipe can be done in just over an hour.

Today's version had Valentina's yellow label & chipotle peppers added for a nice smokey flavour and mild zing to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A recipe or it doesn't count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

I use a cast iron La Crueset Dutch oven for mine. With the pressure cooker do you still have to soak the beans first?

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Last edited by: Brian in MA: Jan 28, 17 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: How to Make F'N Baked Beans... [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still have to soak the beans, but that's a quick job. 2 cups of beans, salt & water, put in the PC and bring to pressure for 2 minutes, take off the heat and do a quick release. I'm using a std stove top PC so I put it in a water bath to cool the cooker down and then let the beans soak for another 1-2 hours. I soak them for the full 2 hours but I'm not sure that's necessary.

While the beans are soaking I get the few things I need to prep ready.

The recipe is pretty simple and out of the Presto instruction booklet with a few modifications.

• 2 cups navy beans
  • 3 cups water
  • ¼ cup Valentina's hot sauce
  • ¼ cup molasses
  • 2 chipotle peppers sliced
  • dash of worchestershire sauce. Could possibly use fresh sweet tamarinds, but I'm not sure many I'd need.
  • 1 8-ounce slice uncooked ham, diced (ham? really? who the hell puts ham in beans? bacon people, bacon!)
  • 1 medium onion, minced
  • â…“ cup brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon dry mustard
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Throw a smoked ham hock in next time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Open can of Bush's, pour into pan and heat. Move onto something important.

Quote | Reply
I let mine soak overnight, here's my recipe (I generally make a double batch as they surprisingly freeze well in individual containers)

2 lbs. navy beans
8 oz uncooked bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 onions, chopped
2tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup ketchup
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp dry mustard
4 tbsp cider vinegar
10 cups water

Oven to 300 F, cook bacon in Dutch oven 5-7 minutes over medium heat; add onions, salt and pepper and cook 6-8 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil for 5 min, then cover and put in oven for 2.5 hrs. Uncover, stir one and back in oven for another 90 minutes.

I've tweaked the recipe a bit over the years but have it dialed in at this point.

Quote Reply
Re: How to Make F'N Baked Beans... [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Baked beans are an important thing in New England :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How to Make F'N Baked Beans... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just trying to figure out how big New England is, does it include Tennessee?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out how big New England is, does it include Tennessee?

NO.

ME, NH, VT, ... and we begrudgingly include MA.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If you have more time on your hands and want to really work for it...cook them outside
Ingredients
  • 2 pounds dried beans of your choice (soldier, pea, Jacob’s Cattle, great northern, yellow eye, etc.)
  • 3 onions, thinly sliced
  • ¾ cup molasses
  • ½ cup maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons dry mustard
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 pound salt pork, sliced into pieces about 2 inches by 1/2 inch

Preparation
  1. Soak beans overnight in water to cover or quick-soak: Put beans in a large pot, add water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse.
  2. If you don’t already have a bean hole, dig a hole about half again as large as whatever pot you plan to cook the beans in. (The key is that there be 6 inches between the top of the hole and the top of the pot.) Build a fire in the hole using about 10 pieces of cord wood. When the fire is burning well, add 10 softball-size rocks, then continue to burn until the wood is reduced to embers. You should have a bed of embers 2 to 3 inches deep.
  3. Meanwhile, drain and rinse the beans and put them into a 6-quart Dutch oven or other large, heavy pot along with all remaining ingredients except the salt pork. Stir well to combine. Lay the salt pork slices on top of the beans, then add water to cover by about an inch. Bring just to a simmer over medium-high heat.
  4. Carefully remove the rocks from the bean hole. Put the pot into the hole on top of the embers, cover it with a triple layer of heavy-duty foil, then put the rocks back into the hole around and on top of the pot. Fill in the hole with dirt, covering the pot. Come back 8 hours later, remove the pot from the hole and serve the beans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

Oh I get it. Pressure cooker and bomb.

Tasteless.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Make F'N Baked Beans... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

NO.

ME, NH, VT, ... and we begrudgingly include MA.

Hahaha, that's just like how we begrudgingly include Connecticut

Quote Reply
Re: How to Make F'N Baked Beans... [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:

Like making good beans...
Quote Reply