Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NHL Top 100
Quote | Reply
Anyone else watch this last night? Pretty cool seeing that amount of history and skill on the stage one time. Players I grew up watching, and remember my dad and grandpa talk about watching when they were growing up, all walking around in awe of each other.

As Gretzky said, there are 264 players already in the hall of fame, and a lot of guaranteed hall of famers recently retired or still in the game. There are some extremely good players left off that list. Is anyone upset by specific names left off?

Side note, I can now say that I have scored an actual hockey goal assisted by one of the 100 greatest players to ever play the game. Thats pretty awesome.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Top 100 [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought Neely would have made it, prototype power forward in the 80s/early 90s before Ulf Samuelsson's cheap-shot. Also on a very short list of players who scored 50 goals in 50 games, and did it basically on one leg. I'd take him over Adam Oates on the list.

Very cool to see the joint press conference between Orr, Lemiuex and Gretzky. Surprisingly enough, the first time the three of them have ever met together as a group.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2001/02 Wings had 9 of those top 100 players.

I was outside the Joe the night they clinched the Cup with $950 in my pocket, a fortune for a self-paid college student. The plan was to find a ticket and get in. Found one for $700, held off hoping to find a better seat. Didn't find any and not spending that $700 to get in is the single most regrettable moment of my life. I probably blew the $700 on some random, forgettable crap instead. I made sure to get tickets to the banner raising game, but it just wasn't the same.

And now, they're awful.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL Top 100 [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I thought Neely would have made it, prototype power forward in the 80s/early 90s before Ulf Samuelsson's cheap-shot. Also on a very short list of players who scored 50 goals in 50 games, and did it basically on one leg. I'd take him over Adam Oates on the list.

Very cool to see the joint press conference between Orr, Lemiuex and Gretzky. Surprisingly enough, the first time the three of them have ever met together as a group.

Neely was good, but I wouldn't consider him in the top 100. Maybe if he could have played his entire career healthy, but unfortunately he couldn't.

I just read Neely's and Oates' stats. I remember Oates being good, but read the wiki page about him. He is the only player in NHL history to centre three different 50 goal scorers. Fifteenth fastest to 1000 points. Six 5-point games. The Dale Hunter link is kind of odd though. Oates replaced Hunter as captain of the Caps, and later replaced Hunter as coach of the Caps.

There sure didn't seem to be many on the list that hadn't won at least one Cup, and / or Hart trophies, Norris, Conn Smythe, Vezina, etc. I was kind of surprised that Drew Doughty wasn't named, having 2 Cups and a Norris. Malkin wasn't on the list, with 2 Cups, 2 Art Ross, 1 Hart, 1 Calder, 1 Conn Smythe, and 1 Ted Lyndsay (MVP as voted by the players).

The debates to create this list would have been fascinating to watch.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garbage list...I love the idea but the execution was horrible. I'm not a Pens fan but how the hell is Malkin not on a top-100 list? Currently 14th in the history of the NHL in points per game. The fact that Toews and Keith are both on there over him is insane.

As far as Neely, I AM a Bruins fan and I'd be 50/50 on him being on a top-100 all-time list. He had an insane peak (50 in 50 season was incredible to watch) but unfortunately his body couldn't hold up. I think the longevity is what would keep him off the list, but I think he's at least in the discussion for top-100, if not actually deserving of making the cut.
Quote Reply