Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Executive Orders: Good or Bad?
Quote | Reply
https://www.facebook.com/...os/1428481073850045/

Well which is it? Are they good or are they bad?

OR, are they good when its your guy but bad when its their guy?

And if that's the case, who's Fox News' guy? Should a news station have a guy?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Orders: Good or Bad? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

When it's your guy, he's doing what's best for the country, when it's not, he's trying to screw the country. Look at Congress, they have about a 14% approval rating but continually the same people are elected. It's the other guy who sucks.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My view is that anything that concentrates power into the hands of one person is a dangerous thing, and should be avoided as much as possible.

BarryP wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear a lot of people say that Trump's E.O's are okay because they just reverse Obama's E.O's. It seems that this will be the start of an escalation in their use (well, the other guy did it too).
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Orders: Good or Bad? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I hear a lot of people say that Trump's E.O's are okay because they just reverse Obama's E.O's. It seems that this will be the start of an escalation in their use (well, the other guy did it too).

What I don't understand is, since he has a Republican led Congress, why not run the legislative actions through Congress, signed off by Trump, and lead by example?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When they are exercised in a manner intended to circumvent either or both other branches of Government, they are bad, regardless of who issues them or their contents.

When they are properly restrained within the power of the Executive Branch, then it depends on the scope of the order. I tend to agree with Hokie on this one -- too much power in the hands of single person is not a good thing. But, there are a lot of functions that fall squarely within the power of the Executive Branch and the EO is needed to carry out some of the office's required duties.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Jan 27, 17 11:53
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Orders: Good or Bad? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know enough about your countries messed up laws and regulations. Are the things that Trump is using EOs for stuff that should go through Congress?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Orders: Good or Bad? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And specifically, is FOX being consistent with this thought process, or are they doing their usual 180 on positions depending on which politician they are talking about?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We know the answer to that one already. I don't care about that so much, just is what he doing something that he should be doing or is it something congress should be asked to do?

If it's what congress should be asked to do, then why is he doing it?

This is when the but, but, but Obama idiots chime in.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Executive Orders: Good or Bad? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to see how often Trump takes advantage of EOs in the long run and what the GOP has to say about it compared to Obama, who actually had fewer EOs than any two-term President in 100+ years. Trump's personality seems to lend itself to one that won't wait or compromise to get his way, but it's still early in the administration and there's a good chance that this initial onslaught of EOs was just that -- an initial and quick move to reverse Obama's EOs with things slowing down in the future. Only time will tell, as Trump's personality is far too unpredictable to bet on.

Sanuk wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont see a problem if there just orders to enforce laws or legialation ie illegal immigration or the boarder wall, that are already in place .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
When they are exercised in a manner intended to circumvent either or both other branches of Government, they are bad, regardless of who issues them or their contents.

When they are properly restrained within the power of the Executive Branch, then it depends on the scope of the order. I tend to agree with Hokie on this one -- too much power in the hands of single person is not a good thing. But, there are a lot of functions that fall squarely within the power of the Executive Branch and the EO is needed to carry out some of the office's required duties.

agreed and even then they should be used sparingly and in a manner that is open to the public and presented in a manner anyone can understand them.

Even in the case where they fall squarely within Ex branch, if the issue is one in which we have time for and room for debate and opinion (within the house for example) time and latitude should be given to do so.

It is not efficient to run a country by committee all the time. That said, whoever has this power (of one person) should use it with respect and humility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Yes. There needs to be a better method of checks and balances. I remember wanting Boehner to squash Obama's overreaching EOs and he did nothing. I blamed Boehner but I really didn't know what he could have done. The SCOTUS did overturn a few but months or years later.

Right now, there is a lot of low hanging fruit.
Quote Reply