Prev Next
Re: Nobody has a sense of humor anymore [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am offended. Keep it up!
Quote Reply
Re: Nobody has a sense of humor anymore [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
It's not that no one has a sense of humor anymore. It's that the same people who never had one to begin with, and the people cynical enough to target innocent people for political gains, have access to social media, and now larger media outlets are giving unwarranted and disproportionate attention to those people.

You've nailed it. I've called it the Revenge of the Wallflowers. People who were never fun have formed a tribe and found a voice.
Quote Reply
Re: Nobody has a sense of humor anymore [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Why can't anyone just be joking anymore?

Take it right from the top. Trump regularly uses dark, sinister words and phrases. "carnage", "terrible", "horrible, "worst ever" Compares Chicago to Afghanistan . . etc . .

It's been noted that past presidents coming out of times and eras that truly were bad ( WW1, WW2, The Great Depression), did not use words and language so dark and sinister sounding.

You've filled in nicely for cerveloguy this week. Is he paying you?
Quote Reply
Re: Nobody has a sense of humor anymore [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've filled in nicely for cerveloguy this week. Is he paying you?

Oh yes - big dollars have changed hands, for trolling the Lav Room this week!

The best trolling. So much trolling. Smart! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Nobody has a sense of humor anymore [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Revenge of the Wallflowers

New album?
Quote Reply
Re: Nobody has a sense of humor anymore [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
It's not that no one has a sense of humor anymore. It's that the same people who never had one to begin with, and the people cynical enough to target innocent people for political gains, have access to social media, and now larger media outlets are giving unwarranted and disproportionate attention to those people.

So what your saying is that the pc police and the uber left (think "check your privilege" crowd have made trying to be funny almost impossible? I did read where comedians in general, especially the big names have stopped going to college campuses because you aren't allowed to be funny any longer. It would seem this article proves that to be true.

Oh, and to Fleck. How the heck does this story have anything to do with Donald Trump? That's a serious stretch. In fact, I would venture to guess Trump would be seen as the Hitler to almost everyone offended by Seinfield's tweet.

From the story:

Beyond the general groan it elicited, the tweet struck the wrong nerve in critics, particularly given Seinfeld's lack of vocal support for the Black Lives Matter movement itself.

Indeed, the last time Seinfeld found himself in hot water, it was 2015 and he was declaring, "I have no interest in gender or race or anything like that."
At the time, Seinfeld argued against all of the rampant and "creepy" political correctness, and it's safe to say the objections to his tweet won't have him changing his tune.
Quote Reply
Re: Nobody has a sense of humor anymore [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Why can't anyone just be joking anymore?

Take it right from the top. Trump regularly uses dark, sinister words and phrases. "carnage", "terrible", "horrible, "worst ever" Compares Chicago to Afghanistan . . etc . .

It's been noted that past presidents coming out of times and eras that truly were bad ( WW1, WW2, The Great Depression), did not use words and language so dark and sinister sounding.

I hope the old version of you returns. It will be ok.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Nobody has a sense of humor anymore [waytooslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly his intent is to make a joke, not to offend people. We have too many cry babies who think they have a right to never be offended.
Quote Reply
Re: Nobody has a sense of humor anymore [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
Clearly his intent is to make a joke, not to offend people. We have too many cry babies who think they have a right to never be offended.

Cry bullies. They are cry bullies.

And I say the only way to deal with them is exactly the way Trump did. If you "offend" them and they call you out? Double down and offend them again.

Never say sorry. If you say anything in response it should be, "fuck off".

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not surprised.... he's a known anti-dentite from way back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lunchbox wrote:

Hear how the polak broke his leg??

Any chance he tripped out of the submarine screen door?
Last edited by: redfox29: Jan 30, 17 13:05
Quote Reply
Re: Nobody has a sense of humor anymore [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Edit: But on the topic of the original article, probably the most offensive thing about Seinfeld is that he's going to become a freaking billionaire over the Seinfeld franchise. A billionaire?!?!? I mean, Seinfeld still is great but to create a billionaire out of it. Wowsers.

So you're offended that 10 seasons of creativity that millions found funny (and many others didn't) can make someone extremely rich? I'm more offended that the developer of a somewhat simplistic app, made in a short period of time, can do likewise.

Would you not agree that it's taken him years to develop hundreds of ideas into material that enough people deem worthy to watch. There are richer people who have seemingly done less work for such success.
Quote Reply
Re: Nobody has a sense of humor anymore [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps I should have put that in pink. What I was saying in a roundabout, tongue in cheek way is that Seinfeld is so inoffensive as comedy that the closest thing to being offensive about it is the obscene amount of money he made off of such a simple, but brilliantly executed concept. There's literally nothing offensive about his brand of humor, so I don't know how anyone could take offense with it.

But you're right -- making heaps of cash from something like Flappy Bird is more offensive, for sure. At least Seinfeld is so iconic that its humor remains relevant and just as hilarious today as it did when it went off the air 18 years ago & first aired 28 years ago. Holy shit, Seinfeld first aired 28 years ago!

mv2005 wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Edit: But on the topic of the original article, probably the most offensive thing about Seinfeld is that he's going to become a freaking billionaire over the Seinfeld franchise. A billionaire?!?!? I mean, Seinfeld still is great but to create a billionaire out of it. Wowsers.

So you're offended that 10 seasons of creativity that millions found funny (and many others didn't) can make someone extremely rich? I'm more offended that the developer of a somewhat simplistic app, made in a short period of time, can do likewise.

Would you not agree that it's taken him years to develop hundreds of ideas into material that enough people deem worthy to watch. There are richer people who have seemingly done less work for such success.
Quote Reply

Prev Next