Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking back: Obama voters rate foreign policy
Quote | Reply
I only want to hear from Obama voters. What was the good and bad of Obama's 8 years as President and foreign policy leader?
Please just rate Obama's actions, and not other President's actions.

(Anti-Obama people try to stay out. Otherwise, this thing gets defensive and we get zingers aimed at each side more than we get assessments.)
Quote Reply
Re: Looking back: Obama voters rate foreign policy [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paris accord, bin laden, iran nuclear deal were all pretty good.

im not a fan of all the drine strikes, getting gitmo closed would have been nice. im unsure how i feel about tpp.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking back: Obama voters rate foreign policy [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
getting gitmo closed would have been nice

Gitmo closed didn't happen, but it wasn't for lack of Obama effort IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Quote:

i realize the president cant just do whatever they want, especially with obstructionists blocking him just to be childish. im ignorant if an executive order would have gotten it done. either way, i feel it would have made us look better as a nation if it were closed.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
SH wrote:
Quote:

i realize the president cant just do whatever they want, especially with obstructionists blocking him just to be childish. im ignorant if an executive order would have gotten it done. either way, i feel it would have made us look better as a nation if it were closed.

I think there was an EO. There's never a lack of childish obstructionists, but I think the closing effort foundered because there was no where else to put some of the existing prisoners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He got the Nobel Peace Prize and stopped the seas from rising.

What more do we need to know?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:

im not a fan of all the drine strikes, getting gitmo closed would have been nice. im unsure how i feel about tpp.

Both of which may not exist in 6 months.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His most notable accomplishment was pushing a fooking video as the cause for Benghazi mess.

Of course smart people knew it was because he was too busy to be bothered. Same with Satan's spawn HRC
Quote Reply
Re: Looking back: Obama voters rate foreign policy [wrmattil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He managed to avoid invading the wrong country.

May not seem like much of an accomplishment, but these days I have pretty low standards for my presidents.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, paris accord, bin laden, iran nuclear deal were all pretty good.

Syria and Libya were pretty bad. But I also have a hard time grading any president in the Middle East, even Bush (Hussein was clearly our enemy, only question is whether that was the best way, and the misleading on WMD's was much less than good). The ME has been a cluster for 1500+ years, generally we do best when we stay as far away as possible.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking back: Obama voters rate foreign policy [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

May not seem like much of an accomplishment, but these days I have pretty low standards for my presidents.

We may not have invaded, but Libya has turned into as a big a cluster as Iraq due to our "regime change" efforts there.

Quote | Reply
Yeah. It's hard to look at the big picture and decide that 1) the problem areas of the world are better off now than previously, and 2) that the United States didn't suffer from his Presidency, relative to it's historical place as a leader and peace keeper in these matters. I'm ambivalent on what, precisely, our role should be, but there's no denying that we continued down the steep slope of weakening moral or practical authority on that matter.

President Bush unleashed a foreign policy nightmare with Iraq, and later Afghanistan. President Obama, in my opinion, made matters far worse by forfeiting whatever we, and the region, had gained with his indifference or objection to a continued status of forces agreement. It's easy for him to poke at Republicans and Trumpkins for their opposition to mass refugee accommodation, but it's a lot harder to accept responsibility for not doing anything meaningful to mitigate the disaster that spawned that refugee problem. The unwillingness for his diehard supporters to even acknowledge the American President's ownership of that role and actions, or inactions, on that point can be maddening.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Jan 27, 17 8:37
Quote Reply
Re: Looking back: Obama voters rate foreign policy [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and ISIS is bad, but again, ME. The ME is always bad. We need something like a wall. Take their oil and make them pay for it.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

It's time to move on. Just let it go, Barry. You'll be a much happier person.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Looking back: Obama voters rate foreign policy [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We may not have invaded, but Libya has turned into as a big a cluster as Iraq due to our "regime change" efforts there.

Get rid of bad guy, replace with worse guy. Seems to be our history with the ME. I won't count Libya as a success.

But yes, doing it without an invasion is less of a screw up, IMO.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can beat a hornet's nest with a stick, or you can hit it with a brick from a safe distance. You end up with largely the same result, but with fewer immediate casualties.

Or you can leave it be and pull out the can of Raid when one gets too close to the house. I prefer the latter approach, personally.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lifting sanctions on Cuba was long overdue.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking back: Obama voters rate foreign policy [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What part of "I only want to hear from Obama voters." was difficult to understand?
Quote Reply
Re: Looking back: Obama voters rate foreign policy [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
What part of "I only want to hear from Obama voters." was difficult to understand?

Keeping the U.S. out of another significant war seems like a decent accomplishment, would have been nice if he got us out of Iraq and Afghanistan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:

I know!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:

He's running for office again? Which office is it this time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:

Sorry. I forgot that you own this forum and get to set the rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
I only want to hear from Obama voters. What was the good and bad of Obama's 8 years as President and foreign policy leader?
Please just rate Obama's actions, and not other President's actions.

(Anti-Obama people try to stay out. Otherwise, this thing gets defensive and we get zingers aimed at each side more than we get assessments.)

I voted for Obama twice, but ended up being fiercely opposed to his policies at the end of his tenure.

He was an idealist and approached the Arab Spring from a naĂ¯ve perspective, thinking that somehow democracy would cure all of the Middle East's complex ailments. Instead, we ended up with a destabilized Libya, Egypt, and Syria, which created a power vacuum that ISIS happily occupied.

He also failed to challenge China when they claimed they owned the entire South China Sea, or when they began construction in the Spratly's. Now China is itching for a confrontation (their strategy is based almost completely on countering U.S. Doctrine).

He also failed to live up to his word regarding the Syrian red-line, which made other World leaders believe that the United States would not back it's allies.

He also focused the Military in to a huge social engineering experiment. In my time in, I have spent more time training on anti-sexual harassment programs, anti racism programs, and transgender training than I have on my war fighting skills. There is a priority on making us appear more PC rather than getting us ready for combat. I'm conducting missions with 20 year old HMMWVs with bald tires that endanger my Soldiers' lives while the DOD sets aside millions of dollars for transgender surgery.

In short, he's appeased our enemies and ostracized our allies. The result is that we went from a Unilateral Superpower to a Multilateral world during his tenure. Expect Russia and China to increase their influence in the globe in the coming years.
Last edited by: KChen086: Jan 27, 17 12:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest job of the president is to manage the fuckjob we did on the rest of the Arab middle east we created in Isreal 1948. Obama did a bad job of keeping up the illusion that it wasn't a fuckjob but perhaps that is because he knows the only solution is to get both sides to accept a 2 state solution? So I'll give him a D overall on this: knowing that a two state solution is the only answer is like getting credit for attendance.

Did he manage Russia well? What the fuck does that even mean? Russia sucks because they have their wealth in the hands of too few people and these pricks are hardwired to believe that they can get richer by taking over more of the region. Basically they think about their neighbors the way the US felt about Natives and the west in 1800. I guess you could shoot Putin and promise to kill one a day until they quit being assholes, but that seems a little impractical. In the end there is no way to manage Russia. It is like when you have to take a giant crap and you are stuck on the highway. How much shit is getting on your cloths? Is "just a little" really that great?

The only long-term solution to peace with China is with economic partnerships. When you create economic partnerships you have to balance your own interest with your partners. If you give away too much you won't get re-elected and you will be wildly unpopular. If you are strident and one-sided you will create wars. Recently people have been upset with us because we are trading "promises" to give China money in the future for actual fucking IPhones. China owns a trillion or so in US debt. If you think this is bad then you are a fucking moron. A grade here. Trump is going to get an F on China. Hey asshole, I am using their money to buy the phone they made for me. Don't fuck this up.

What were you asking?
Quote Reply