Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Retul Bike fit- $250?? [outdoormaniacs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Dave Luscan at All3Sports got me setup! How's it look?
Quote Reply
Re: Retul Bike fit- $250?? [TeamTarrant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave does good work. just, dave! because i know you're reading this. we have new fit sheets, much better. ping me and i'll send you the file.

the ONLY thing i'd say is you could have a slightly longer cockpit, but it could only be because you are momentarily sitting a little forward on the saddle. i would trust dave's fits. you have a pretty good position right there.

dave luscan and matt cole are probably the two best fitters in georgia i'd venture to guess, tho i might be forgetting some right now. you went to a very good fitter in whom i have a lot of confidence.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Retul Bike fit- $250?? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan. Happy Birthday.

I wasn't a big fan of the new fit sheet when I first saw it, but since you're adamant I'll take another look.

Michael, thanks for coming in and putting your trust in me. We did good work I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right on! Thanks for the feedback. Felt good being there with him.

And Happy birthday good sir! Appreciate all your guidance. You're a good man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Birthday, Dan.
"Pretty good"...not good?
Quote Reply
Re: Retul Bike fit- $250?? [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here's a lorez of it.

it's got fields for hx and hy, per trial, so that a prior trial can easily be rediscovered. we don't take fit coordinates until the fit is over. also fields for pad y and pad x center and pad x rear. then at the bottom fields for complete bike solutions.

works pretty well. we're in the middle of a fit workshop now. plus a little bike riding!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't charge for fittings, but I would suggest moving the pads forward a bit (maybe a longer stem).
Quote Reply
Re: Retul Bike fit- $250?? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will give a one time reply here and copy it to the other thread. Not interested in a long debate regarding the outcome.

First, if I was internet fitting, I would certainly agree that the cockpit was a bit short, and I would speculate that if I got my hands on this rider, I could get him stretched out a bit. I would not however think that this result was incorrect nor outside the realm of possible positions that a proper fit could produce. hence the danger if internet fitting.

However, I was doing an actual fit on modern equipment, and using years of experience to elicit excellent feedback from the rider. As per the FIST protocol, you pretty much get what you want in regards to cockpit distance. That is not to say we didn't spend a good bit of time on that cockpit distance. In fact, we started out quite long (again, rider choice) and gradually brought it closer and closer. I went back to cockpit distance while changing the drop, after changing the setback, after angling the extensions, and even after shortening the crank. Each trial yielded a tighter cockpit.

After everything else was finalized, we went back one more time to see if a slightly longer reach was more comfortable. It was not, so we were done. This is not a masterpiece, I didn't create a work of art. I did give this athlete a solid fit. We definitely tuned in to a good bit of his bike fit DNA. Will he choose a longer cockpit on the future? Maybe, but he didn't yesterday.

Finally, I always take into consideration how a fit might change in the future when recommending bikes or simply discussing the results. In this case, I am almost certain the rider will never choose to be tighter, and pretty sure we squeezed about all the drop out of him that we can achieve without a loss in pedaling ability.

As far as Slowman assessing my fit as "pretty good", I'll take it. Maybe he has more to say, maybe not. One time he did a similar pretty good fit on a certain pro triathlete.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
if you decide i'm an asshole, abrasive, and all sorts of nasty things, that's a defensible position. i guess you might say i'm the andy coggan of bike fit.

Thank you for that gratuitous insult.
Quote Reply
Re: Retul Bike fit- $250?? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, you are an asshole, and i mean that in love. i am too. jobst brandt, may he rest in peace, was too. we are all beloved assholes and we worked goddam hard to earn our reputations.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally found the bike and had a local guy use the Fit Sheet from Dave to dial it in!

Feels great.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Underwear strikes me as superfluous.

Also looks like a road bike position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't critic your position but this is a different view than you on the fit bike. It looks like you are further back on the saddle and more stretched out then compared to your position on the fit bike. Also get some extensions that are easier on the wrist. It doesn't look like a bend that is really comfy.

Enjoy your season!

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply

Prev Next