Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are there any truly remote isolated places in the U.S.? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I found some quick stats that state only 11% of all of cattle in the USA are in large feedlots in right now. http://www.beefusa.org/...ustrystatistics.aspx

I also found that there are over 4000 cattle ranches with an average size of 1000 acres and only 40 feed lots in the entire province of BC.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there any truly remote isolated places in the U.S.? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beef production is as globalized and industrialized as every other form of industry. Different industrial processes, in different areas and different countries.

But:
1) The best way to make a million in ranching and farming is to start with several million.
2) "Riding the range for days," "sleeping under the stars" these things ended at the same time most Americans learned what a cowboy was.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there any truly remote isolated places in the U.S.? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Yup, I found some quick stats that state only 11% of all of cattle in the USA are in large feedlots in right now. http://www.beefusa.org/...ustrystatistics.aspx

I also found that there are over 4000 cattle ranches with an average size of 1000 acres and only 40 feed lots in the entire province of BC.

Like I said.

Fantasies about cowboys, farmers, explorers, trappers, hermits, and "wilderness" is very important to people.
(Me included)

You can believe in this stuff if you want!

Your ability to discover and misuse statistics on the internet.....
Is your strong outdoors skill.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there any truly remote isolated places in the U.S.? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
this issue was already burned beyond recognition:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...=remoteness#p6168612

That was similar but not really the same thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there any truly remote isolated places in the U.S.? [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
owen. wrote:

Like I said.

Fantasies about cowboys, farmers, explorers, trappers, hermits, and "wilderness" is very important to people.
(Me included)

Your argument was that cows are raised on industrial size feedlots not on ranches. I provided statistics to the contrary and yet you blither on about your ranching fantasies so alright then BarryP. Carry on.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there any truly remote isolated places in the U.S.? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
this issue was already burned beyond recognition:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...=remoteness#p6168612

That was similar but not really the same thing.

That post went like this.
Dude: There is nowhere that is more than 10 miles from a road
Duffy: I went camping in Yosemite. I am a rugged outdoorsman, with awesome internet skills. I can prove without a doubt, that their might be "super remote areas" that are as much ad 12 miles from a road.
Here is a selfie of me roughing it. Gee I an ruggedly handsome.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there any truly remote isolated places in the U.S.? [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it isn't. There are a lot of protections against beef imports into the US. So much so, that the Japanese were buying up ranches in the 80's so that they could better control the exports to Japan. They love their beef but have not land to do it.

With that said, there have been easements on production from Mexico and Canada.

Roughly 8 to 10 percent of beef consumed in the U.S. is imported from other countries, while 11 to 14 percent of the beef raised in the U.S. is sent elsewhere. The global beef trade is a complex web of supply and demand, based largely on the differences in what each society values from their cattle.

But fresh beef from other countries isn't very common at all. With 10% of all beef consumed in the US coming from foreign countries, how much of that is what ends up on your plate at Outback or on your backyard grill?

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/...-trade/#.WIt-d3KQxkc

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Re: Are there any truly remote isolated places in the U.S.? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
dirtymangos wrote:
owen. wrote:

Like I said.

(Me included)

Your argument was that cows are raised on industrial size feedlots not on ranches. I provided statistics to the contrary and yet you blither on about your ranching fantasies so alright then BarryP. Carry on.

Well what are we talking about?
Sure not all cows, in all countries are on feed lots all the time.
You proved that!

What is important is that you want to be a cowboy!

Me too. I want to be a farmerer.

But working on farms and studying agricultural and ag econ wasn't going to get me there!! I needed money and lots of it!!

Once I retire from my job in Financial Services maybe I will give it a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
owen. wrote:
dirtymangos wrote:
owen. wrote:

Like I said.

(Me included)

Well what are we talking about?
Sure not all cows, in all countries are on feed lots all the time.
You proved that!

What is important is that you want to be a cowboy!

Me too. I want to be a farmerer.

But working on farms and studying agricultural and ag econ wasn't going to get me there!! I needed money and lots of it!!

Once I retire from my job in Financial Services maybe I will give it a try.

The reading between non-existent lines is strong with this one today. You obviously aren't smart enough to be a farmer so I'd stick with your banking gig, at least you can bullshit your way through it.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there any truly remote isolated places in the U.S.? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lasttri83-
I must be insane....

The crazier the person
The more demented
Worse triathlete
Worse Business owner
Employee
Family member.....

The more often you are liable to post in the Lavender room.

So yes, something must be wrong with me.

What drugs should I be on.
Last edited by: dirtymangos: Jan 27, 17 9:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who is talking about cowboying up and living on a ranch under the stars? I'm not.

You are mocking people who actually enjoy getting away, who could live off the grid if necessary and might even enjoy it more than the moral decay we see today. I don't know where you live, but once you go west of the Mississippi, 80% of the land is controlled by the feds and undeveloped. A lot of it cannot be developed. It would be very easy to move to a remote place in the southwest if that was your desire. And not only in barren desert. Some of us would love to live the jeremiah Johnson life with no interent, no cars, no familial commitments, etc. But don't confuse desire, know how and ability to do it with the inability to do it if necessary. I think you envision the average person here who could do it with the buffoons that voluntarily go on Doomsday Preppers who have no clue what they are doing and think they can store enough food to thrive in a disaster that extends beyond 30 days and cant hike more than a mile with a backpack before getting winded.

1. I do know how to procure disinfected water.
2. I do know how to forage plants for food.
3. I do know build a shelter or construct one with what is available.
4. I do know how to hunt, kill, process and cook an animal or fish.
5. I also know how to start fire in the absence of matches or a lighter.
6. I can also easily hike out 10 miles with a 100 lbs pack. I've done that in the last 6 years and have only gotten fitter since then.

I have done all these things at some point in my life (no I haven't hunted deer).

Would I rather live in an air conditioned home with cable TV, Internet, and my family? Yes.

But don't think for a minute that if a natural disaster happened or some sort of issue where all bets were off (anarchy), some of us wouldn't thrive just because you obviously couldn't.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Owen...
Fair enough.
Definitely reading between the lines in regards to you.

But your statistics don't work.
And I don't really care enough to explain why.

Banking/Finance IS largely bullshit.
I an really sick of it.

Which is why people like Forge and Duffy.
People who are 100% bullshit.
Drive me crazy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It is entirely possible you are already on too many.

Re: Are there any truly remote isolated places in the U.S.? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:

It is entirely possible you are already on too many.

Caffeine might be to blame.
Quote Reply
Re: Are there any truly remote isolated places in the U.S.? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
veganerd wrote:
yes. that maine hermit did it for decades.

you just have to go way off the path.

That Maine hermit wasn't that far off the beaten path. He was actually more or less in the middle of the state relatively close to major population centers and he didn't run into other people much because he hid from them. He lived so much among people that he subsisted by stealing their food, etc. Mostly from "camps" I think.

His whole subsistence strategy relied on being near people or at least their stuff.

i know he stole a lot. but he was only seen once or twice.

ive been in some pretty remote places where ivd seen no evidence of anyone being there. far into the desert for example. south oregon is also incredibly sparse.

Yeah I was thinking the desert southwest in places but then you have the problem of feeding yourself, which would seem to require going into a town somewhat regularly.

If I had to drop out and try to make a run for it, I'd go to far northern CA in the Klamath mts near the OR border. I've been to a lot of 'remote' places, including several that are less-densely populated on paper (typically deserts or nearly so) ~ yet this area is comparatively lush and bountiful, and not THAT far from elements of civilization, yet still rugged enough to make even small distances very hard & disorienting to cover. And while it's not impossible that you might run into a few other stray folks from time to time, chances are far greater it'll be some other survivalist dropout nutcase (aka, anti-Gov't ally) and not a bunch of kids from the nearest outdoor school in matched REI gear.
Quote Reply

Prev Next