Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What's in YOUR bug out bag [wild hare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I carry one of these:

Quote Reply
Re: What's in YOUR bug out bag [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have holes in the bag so she can breathe?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: What's in YOUR bug out bag [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
If it makes you feel better to say such things, by all means.

Lighten up Forge. Your list is a great survivalist shit hits the fan plan. The hat was not for you but for the op's situation with an irrational omg trump is the end of the world mentality.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: What's in YOUR bug out bag [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why wouldn't everyone have a bag like mine. Especially in the desert.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weirdest post ever on ST. I'm thinking the Mrs. is spoofing you. Or she's afraid of all the snowflakes throwing their daily fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Why wouldn't everyone have a bag like mine. Especially in the desert.

Just because the bag is appropriate does not mean the hat isn't. :)

But in my truck I have a box with change of clothes, first aid kit, couple bottles of water, a lighter, a towel, knife, tool box with basic tools, flashlight and flares. And that is just things I might need on an odd day out working, so not that far from what you are saying.

I have a stash of cash hidden because you never know when you'll need to pay someone to bury the random dead hooker and around my house there are always rice, noodles, canned food, etc. just because that it would take 17 seconds to load up.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Jan 27, 17 13:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

usually it's tailored to the place. i'm in sierra leone these days, and if there was some sort of violence my main priority would be getting either to the airport, an embassy, or a land border. so my bag is mostly cash and papers, with a few energy bars, water, tablets, a leatherman, and a light jacket. it's quite small.

when i'm in my place in switzerland (or canada), the worry is much more about something boring like a house fire, or a burst pipe. in that case the bag's got stuff in it that would be really difficult to replace: marriage license and other important papers, research data, stuff like that.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
I carry one of these:

Does every hot woman wear Hanky Pankys?
Quote Reply
Re: What's in YOUR bug out bag [Sully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sully wrote:
Swedish Fish.[/quote

godammit

DO NOT BROADCAST THE BUGOUT CODE IN CLEAR.

Fuck. Now where did I leave the keys to the bunker. ??

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
I carry one of these:

How the fuck is a half-naked chick going be of any help ??

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wild hare wrote:
The Mrs. has always been a slightly to the center Republican until Trump. She's freaked out and actually said we need an exit strategy last night. So, what's in your bug out bag, where you going, and how are you going to get there? Mexico doesn't seem isolated enough. Maybe after the wall. Lots of articles recently about how the rich techies and hedge fund managers have New Zealand tied up.

Just keep in mind when planning your bug out destination, that, unlike the US, you just can't go to these other countries and stay as long as you would like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Mrs. has always been a slightly to the center Republican until Trump. She's freaked out and actually said we need an exit strategy last night.

Quote Reply
Re: What's in YOUR bug out bag [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
champy wrote:
Money is useless if the grid goes down!

Salt then, it will be invaluable once we're living in a Middle Ages type of situation again :)

I've been reading the book "Dreamland" about the opiod epidemic and the author talks about Oxycontin being used to buy just about anything in this one region of Ohio. Better than money! If it gets too bad you can just OD and check out.
Quote Reply
Re: What's in YOUR bug out bag [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the author talks about Oxycontin being used to buy just about anything in this one region of Ohio. Better than money! If it gets too bad you can just OD and check out.

I took 12 Oxycontin pills a day for 2 months after a bike accident a few years ago. I should have sucked it up and sold the pills, could have made a lot of money.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wild hare wrote:
The Mrs. has always been a slightly to the center Republican until Trump. She's freaked out and actually said we need an exit strategy last night. So, what's in your bug out bag, where you going, and how are you going to get there? Mexico doesn't seem isolated enough. Maybe after the wall. Lots of articles recently about how the rich techies and hedge fund managers have New Zealand tied up.

The Oregon coast looks the most promising...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
If you are serious, get a 72 hour pack, pack a couple changes of clothes, first aid kit (IFAK), canned goods, waterproof matches, a lighter (yes both), a compass, a towel, some extra rounds for whatever gun you intend to carry, a can opener, knife (fixed blade or pocket) utensils, flashlight and water (as much as your remaining room will allow). If you can get a purifier, great. Also if weight is an issue for you substitute canned goods for nasty MREs they provide more calories per square inch than most regular food.

If you can fit a crowbar of some type, those are first on my bonus list. They have a lot of uses (weapon, grappling hook, master key, etc).

It's common sense, and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with some apocalyptic scenario. It's just being prepared for an emergency, whether it be a house fire, earthquake, or even being laid off.

I keep a kit in my car at all times. Doesn't take up space, but it's in case something happens, car breaks down, etc., and I have to spend the night in a hotel. It's actually come in handy when that's happened after a late night meeting with a client, only to find out that the road has been closed so I have to stay the night.
Quote Reply
Re: What's in YOUR bug out bag [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
wild hare wrote:

Lots of ammo and diesel. I'm not going to run, but take a stand instead.

Bud, you live in the middle of nowhere. There will be no one to take a stand against!

Most likely, our bug out scenario will be a large earthquake. We always have canned goods in the house, so as an emergency kit, we just keep batteries ,flashlight, some cash, and a few gallons of water on hand. We live a block from a grocery store, gas station and mall. If shit ever really does hit the fan, I'll be one of the first ones there ;).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep my bug out bag light. Toilet paper, because wiping with leave sucks. Condoms, just in case the SHTF and I have to repopulate the earth.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: What's in YOUR bug out bag [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I keep my bug out bag light. Toilet paper, because wiping with leave sucks. Condoms, just in case the SHTF and I have to repopulate the earth.

You are going to use condoms to repopulate the Earth?
Quote Reply
Re: What's in YOUR bug out bag [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
JSA wrote:

You are going to use condoms to repopulate the Earth?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started carrying a bug out bag of sorts tailored to all the driving I do, worse case scenarios I may be photographing in (think not-so nice areas), and the hurricanes we have in the Carolinas. My bag is a Camelbak mil spec mole with standard change of clothes, survival tools, energy bars, first aid and extra medicine. On the clothes, I use old running clothes for base clothing or keep cool. Top layer is standard grey man - not flashy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wild hare wrote:

If you are planning for a major disaster you will need more than a bug out bag.

That said, I carry a 2400 cubic inch pack in my trunk, loaded with an improved first aid kit for trauma, splints for broken bones, and tourniquets. Additional water and 3x MREs (approx. 8,000 calories) plus a pry bar and space blankets. Also carry a magnified rifle and ammunition to create stand off between myself and whatever threat I'm facing. Consider external battery packs and solar chargers to keep your cell phone charged.

The more likely scenario is that I'll have a car break down in the middle of nowhere, so that's the scenario I plan around. If you need to evacuate populated areas you may want to consider utilizing two wheels or other local routes of egress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wild hare wrote:
She's thinking serious societal upheaval which would involve speed and distance. But the question was general - any disaster such as societal, terrorist, environmental...

Just wondering what people keep together for a quick exit.

You are getting way ahead of yourself. You first have to consider what to wear when it all falls apart. There is no reason to hold on the past with the same ol' same ol' that you would wear to the office or a trip to Home Depot on the weekend. The get-up below has proved very popular during apocalypses. It provides a decent amount of protection while projecting that its wearer has accepted the situation and is ready to move on with the next phase of his life. As a side benefit, if your wife should fall prey to the mutants, this ensemble is a definite chick magnet in forbidden zones.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep my passports, family passports and bank details - other than that I do not need anything that can not be obtained somewhere else :)

If immediate access to cash was a requirement I'd take watches with me......

I'm assuming that even if there were serious societal upheaval, it would not involve major banks shutting down so I need nothing other than access to cash

in the event something happened where I am, I'd send wife and kids to london on france

all that though is a pipe dream given I'm not allowed out of the country without permission, so its a bit academic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raid, Decon, wasp spray, deep woods off and a flame thrower
Quote Reply

Prev Next