Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heavy bag / punching bag question
Quote | Reply
I want to add a heavy bag to the basement gym, anyone have one / workout with one / know anything about them? 70, 80, 100lb? I see there are freestanding ones vs. hanging ones, and some people buy the racks for them. I had one when much younger, but there were no freestanding options then.

My gym is in the basement, exposed joists in the ceiling so no challenges in hanging it.

What say you?
Quote Reply
Re: Heavy bag / punching bag question [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snoots wrote:
I want to add a heavy bag to the basement gym, anyone have one / workout with one / know anything about them? 70, 80, 100lb? I see there are freestanding ones vs. hanging ones, and some people buy the racks for them. I had one when much younger, but there were no freestanding options then.

My gym is in the basement, exposed joists in the ceiling so no challenges in hanging it.

What say you?

I have had a couple of "heavy" weight bags for boxing which I've hung just like you are planning too do. If you are going to box get decent gloves and learn how to wrap your hands. As a wise man once said:

"You can develop carpal tunnel syndrome, tendinitis, arthritis, ligament damage, degenerative joint disease, develop ganglion cysts, bruising of the bones, besides sustain multiple type of fractures but it all can be prevented with proper hand wrapping, taping, wearing well padded gloves..."

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What that dude said above.

The "easiest" option for a home gym is to get a Bob.

I hit heavy bags where I train and they are the hanging type. Don't know what they way.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Had one in the basement of the family house when I was a teen. Beware of hanging it from exposed floor joists. I did that and every time I hit it I got yelled at from upstairs. It would shake the floor and the windows in the living room, apparently it was very loud and obnoxious as well.

I still have the bag but no way to hang it in my current house as my garage ceiling is too high and I lack motivation to hang it. Check Craigslist before you spend much on one. I would probably get rid of mine for $30 if it meant I didn't have to store it anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I boxed nearly half my life and had a 150 lbs back in my house in Florida. In my opinion, you need at least a 100, you should be hitting a bag that is 2/3 your weight. They are more durable, hold shape, and don't swing as much. Get a support spring to reduce shock to the hanging source. If you can, hang it with from the wall on an arm (pictured below) or if you can't, use the mount I also referenced below.

Hey, I happen to have both a bag and an arm that have sat idle since I moved to Arizona.

Bag - http://www.ringside.com/...bag-soft-filled.html

Wall Mount - https://www.everlast.com/...ty-wall-mount-hanger

Ceiling mount http://ecx.images-amazon.com/...RlL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

Bag Spring - http://www.ringside.com/...eavy-bag-spring.html

Using this will prevent any potential damage to your walls or ceiling for an adequately heavy bag.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you planning on kicking it or just striking? Primarily striking, I recommend BoB XL. I bought one about 2 months ago and love it. Not great for kicking, but great for striking b/c you actually have targets to hit. There are some great apps for workouts and call out what to throw.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Heavy bag / punching bag question [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theirs no reason why you can't kick a Bob.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many opinions on this one but I really like the feel of a water-filled bag, it has the most lifelike "give" when you hit it. I personally like a freestanding hanging bag - no noise or stress to beams / structure of the house. Second/third/fourth the absolute need for wraps and good bag gloves. Ringside as mentioned earlier is a good source for most of these things. You might look at a local sporting goods store for the bag stand (like Dick's) as the stands are big/heavy and would likely be expensive to ship.

Hitting a heavy bag is such a great workout and fun too! Enjoy it as an extra cross-training option.
Quote Reply
Re: Heavy bag / punching bag question [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easiest, but is it the best? I'm not sure about alot of kicking, but I may throw it in.

Do you hit the bags, or kick too?
Quote Reply
Re: Heavy bag / punching bag question [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, at 175lbs I wasn't sure how heavy to go. Why is the wall mount better? My house was built in the '60s, and so I have massive wooden beams in the basement, as opposed to steel. Is it a vibration thing? Or is there an advantage to the wall mount?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do most of my kicking at the gym on the various heavy bags. I have the BoB XL and primarily do striking on it. Again, I love the BoB XL because it gives you an actual "body" to hit.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Heavy bag / punching bag question [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mostly striking, I'd say for now, but who knows. Do you find that it moves or shifts at all? Or is it totally stable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I filled mine with 5 50 lb bags of sand. Very stable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snoots wrote:
Easiest, but is it the best? I'm not sure about alot of kicking, but I may throw it in.

Do you hit the bags, or kick too?

A lot of people like the Bob. I've never used one though.

Heavy bags get the full treatment from me, punches, kicks, elbows, knees, head butts.

I also hit Thai pads, focus mitts, etc. when training with a partner.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 100# Thai bag from these guys http://kofightgear.com/

It gets everything, punches, kicks, elbows and knees. It's an awesome bag, much better than an everlast (from a big box) I had previously. I weigh between 180-190 lbs typically. Bag weight is good -- plus you can always anchor the bottom if needed. Been up and used for about 2 years now and hasn't settled. It's ceiling mounted.

Looks like they're running free shipping at the moment.
Quote Reply