Quote Reply
Re: Where to put your money during a Trump Presidency? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
* McDonald's stock
* Stormy D.'s g-string?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CANADA! There is no telling what Trump will do.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Where to put your money during a Trump Presidency? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the healthcare system, that way when the Democrats get elected and turnover the US healthcare system to the FBI he'll lose everything.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to put your money during a Trump Presidency? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
SH wrote:
Torry wrote:
While trying to avoid any debates on the soundness of Trump policy, can we discuss his impact on investments assuming he is able to push his agenda?

Where do you figure the smart money will go (as most of you are smarter than I)? Do you put it in the market? Real Estate (buy before interest rates sky rocket)? Commodities?

SH wrote:
The asset class with the highest rate of return is equities. That's not changing.
Look, I'm not saying we should have a pollyannaish attitude about the Trump presidency. Lots can go wrong -- events happen. My points are to show that you should be very careful about letting other people's political biases and sour grapes cost you money.

For everyone that listened to me back in the day: You're welcome. =)

Dow Jones up 16.6% since I wrote this.

I feel like I should be getting more grateful PM's at this point. Currently, I'm at ZERO.

Probably because everyone understands basic math. Now when it pulls back 10% everyone is going to lose a lot more money than they would have before. Duh.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to put your money during a Trump Presidency? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
SH wrote:
SH wrote:
Torry wrote:
While trying to avoid any debates on the soundness of Trump policy, can we discuss his impact on investments assuming he is able to push his agenda?

Where do you figure the smart money will go (as most of you are smarter than I)? Do you put it in the market? Real Estate (buy before interest rates sky rocket)? Commodities?

SH wrote:
The asset class with the highest rate of return is equities. That's not changing.
Look, I'm not saying we should have a pollyannaish attitude about the Trump presidency. Lots can go wrong -- events happen. My points are to show that you should be very careful about letting other people's political biases and sour grapes cost you money.

I feel like I should be getting more grateful PM's at this point. Currently, I'm at ZERO.

Probably because everyone understands basic math. Now when it pulls back 10% everyone is going to lose a lot more money than they would have before. Duh.

Dow Jones up 21.7% since my last post. Hopefully tragic "basic math" arguments aren't keeping people out. Nevertheless grateful PM's are holding steady at zero.
I'm hoping it's more of a "we already knew this, duh" than nobody taking my advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
SH wrote:
SH wrote:
Torry wrote:

SH wrote:

Dow Jones up 21.7% since my last post. Hopefully tragic "basic math" arguments aren't keeping people out. Nevertheless grateful PM's are holding steady at zero.
I'm hoping it's more of a "we already knew this, duh" than nobody taking my advice.

congrats. You do know duh is used almost universally in the sarcastic sense, right?

every year we max both 401k's, my IRA, wife's SEP, and any left over into various Dimensional funds. We set it and forget it and are obviously doing quite well with those investments. That is playing not an iota above zero in who I will be voting for. Money is the most meaningless thing in our lives.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to put your money during a Trump Presidency? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know my tax money is being put into trump properties and trump golf trips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
SH wrote:
SH wrote:
Torry wrote:

SH wrote:

Was going to post when I started reading thru this thread that "SH was right". Kudos for you.

My net worth went up something like 800% under Bush. That had nothing to do with Bush. Until it didn't (thankfully saw that coming, somewhat). It did extremely well under Obama (almost 80% in equities & 20% real estate). It did well under Trump (30% equities, 20% real estate, rest emerging market calls).....I would have been better off had I stayed heavy in equities but that 2017 run-up made me a bit skittish (which I was right on till last 6 months....then again my Vanguard S&P fund is chugging along nicely).

After Greenspan basically shipwrecked the economy (and about 10 other factors), I give little weight to what POTUS effect has on my investment strategies, though the Fed's actions this past year are a serious ??? given the economy.

Now I'm basically at 30% equities, 20% real estate, and the rest in sub-debt at 10% in my company. The ride has to end sometime, and 10+ years of 16%+ average returns have to end. I'd rather miss out on upside, than be left holding the bag. Most of the smart $$ guys I know are long on cash & angel investments right now.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Where to put your money during a Trump Presidency? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wondering where Monty & Greenplease are putting their $$ this next year?

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Where to put your money during a Trump Presidency? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
I know are long on cash & angel investments right now.

So simultaneously the least risky and most risky "investments?" :)
Quote Reply
Re: Where to put your money during a Trump Presidency? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.

Keep in mind I'm talking about average mid 8s in net worth.

They aren't going to lose their standard of living, but they also are looking to the future.

Angel is fun $$ to them.

Cash (well lets just say really safe...or in some cases cash) is if the bottom falls out.

Then again most of these guys have family funds that are turning into the 21st century equivalent of PE.....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Investing in your own business is always a good idea. I started my business some time ago and don't have any regrets. Plus I found free EspoCRM solution to manage all my contacts and save time. So convy! Hope with its help I'll increase sales.
Last edited by: WilliG: Jan 31, 20 2:23
Quote Reply

Prev Next