Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're lazy. I would love to spend all day, but I have a crazy workday (really). Here is some:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/09/undocumented-immigrants-and-taxes/499604/
http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/20/news/economy/immigration-myths/
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/17/magazine/do-illegal-immigrants-actually-hurt-the-us-economy.html

There are literally hundreds of others, all across the spectrum (the conservative Heritage Foundation calculates ~7B/year). If you quibble with this one article, (or completely disagree), give me one that most nearly matches your viewpoint. Fair is fair.

The best way to collect more (if that is what you want) is to have immigration reform which creates a larger scale guest worker program and some viable pathway to citizenship.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Why don't you start by telling me how a government publishes an accurate WEEKLY list of criminal actions that have been committed by illegal immigrants without making any assumptions about what actions took place, who took them and whether they were criminal.

What's hard about it?

ICE finds out that NY has arrested a non-citizen for shoplifting. (Just an example. I'm assuming shoplifting isn't on NY's list of 170 crimes. If it is, pick one that isn't.) ICE submits written request for NY to detain that non-citizen for immigration proceedings. NY refuses. NY gets added to the list, entry is listed under "shoplifting," because that's what the non-citizen was arrested for.

There's no due process issue there. At all.

Which would all be true if the EO said "make public a comprehensive list of jurisdictions that ignored or failed to honor any detainers with respect to aliens that it arrested on suspicion of committing a criminal act and the criminal act that such alien was suspected of committing (noting that such alien has not been tried or afforded due process so, y'know, take it for what it's worth)"

However, as you know because you posted it, that's not what the EO said at all. The EO says "make public a comprehensive list of criminal actions committed by aliens and any jurisdiction that ignored or otherwise failed to honor any detainers with respect to such aliens."

The wording requires someone to make a pre-trial judgement about whether a crime has been committed for the list to have any value. That violates due process.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The wording requires someone to make a pre-trial judgement about whether a crime has been committed for the list to have any value. That violates due process.

No, it doesn't. It doesn't even list the name of the offender.

NY arrests a guy for shoplifting, refuses to hold the guy for 2 days so ICE can get hold of him. ICE publishes list, says NY refused to detain a non-citizen arrested for shoplifting. There's no due process issue there. Zippo.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

NY arrests a guy for shoplifting, refuses to hold the guy for 2 days so ICE can get hold of him. ICE publishes list, says NY refused to detain a non-citizen arrested for shoplifting. There's no due process issue there. Zippo.

Hmmm, underlining didn't work.

The EO says "******make public a comprehensive list of criminal actions committed by aliens****** AND any jurisdiction that ignored or otherwise failed to honor any detainers with respect to such aliens."

Whether names are included doesn't matter.

Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
I dont understand it either. Why would anyone want these kind of people in their cities?

Because they vote Team Donkey.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The EO says "******make public a comprehensive list of criminal actions committed by aliens****** AND any jurisdiction that ignored or otherwise failed to honor any detainers with respect to such aliens."

OK. And still, so what? There remains absolutely no due process issue anywhere near this.

NYPD arrests 100 aliens this week, ICE requests that they detain all 100 aliens. NYPD detains 97 of them because the crimes they were arrested for are on your list. NYPD refuses to detain the other 3.

ICE publishes a list of all the crimes those 100 aliens were arrested for, and also points out that NYPD refused to detain 3 of them for immigration enforcement.

Zero due process involved in any of that.

I *think* what you're objecting to is publicizing the crimes that aliens are arrested for. I don't think I'm going to join your concern there- it sounds like you just want to suppress information.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
orphious wrote:
I dont understand it either. Why would anyone want these kind of people in their cities?

Is that you Don?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

OK. And still, so what? There remains absolutely no due process issue anywhere near this.

NYPD arrests 100 aliens this week, ICE requests that they detain all 100 aliens. NYPD detains 97 of them because the crimes they were arrested for are on your list. NYPD refuses to detain the other 3.

ICE publishes a list of all the crimes those 100 aliens were arrested for, and also points out that NYPD refused to detain 3 of them for immigration enforcement.

Zero due process involved in any of that.

I *think* what you're objecting to is publicizing the crimes that aliens are arrested for. I don't think I'm going to join your concern there- it sounds like you just want to suppress information.

My last response, I can't help you read. However much you want ti to, it doesn't say "crimes they were arrested for" or "crimes they were suspected of having committed" it says "criminal actions committed."

p.s. when people ask me if it's melodramatic to call these times Orwellian, I'll remember this thread.

Last edited by: Bretom: Jan 26, 17 11:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
However much you want ti to, it doesn't say "crimes they were arrested for" or "crimes they were suspected of having committed" it says "criminal actions committed."

How do you think they're going to compile the list otherwise? Serious question. You think Homeland Security is just going to make up numbers out of thin air, unconnected to any reality whatsoever?

Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
orphious wrote:

Is that you Don?

Well, they do ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
windywave wrote:

Due process doesn't mean what you think it does.

I'm assure you I have a pretty good handle on it.

Really then how is it a violation of due process?[/quote]
Why don't you start by telling me how a government publishes an accurate WEEKLY list of criminal actions that have been committed by illegal immigrants without making any assumptions about what actions took place, who took them and whether they were criminal. Of course, they can't. So this list will either be meaningless drivel, will be a constantly updated list of crimes that have now been established as occurring some time in the distant past or will clearly violate almost every element of procedural due process.[/quote]
I asked you first. How, with specificity, is due process violated?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
orphious wrote:

Is that you Don?

Well, they do ...

Are we still talking illegal immigrants voting illegally? If so, no. Unless you have unearthed new evidence you would like to provide.

If we are talking about legal immigrants and their families, sure.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

Hmmm, underlining didn't work.

Whether names are included doesn't matter.

Again how is due process violated? Is it a due process violation to state a murder was gang related? What about Chicago's murders that are released?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But how do you know a murder was committed? How do you know a gang member committed it? Just because you arrested someone for murder, and found that they were in a gang? What is this, 1984?

It's ridiculous. It's not that hard to compile a reasonably accurate list, and even if it was, it has absolutely nothing to do with due process.

Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
orphious wrote:

Is that you Don?

Well, they do ...

Are we still talking illegal immigrants voting illegally? If so, no. Unless you have unearthed new evidence you would like to provide.

Please. We prefer illegal alien.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
You have it all wrong. Ken didn't say "educate" people in critical thinking skills, see, he said teach them critical thinking skills. Ken hates it when you misrepresent his posts like that.

Yep. I'll get scolded for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
orphious wrote:

Is that you Don?

Well, they do ...

Please. We prefer illegal alien.

Sorry, it's no fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_61hzuGGJX0

Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

If Arizona is ok entering an agreement with the feds to turn all its police officers into immigration officials, as the EO anticipates, then they should go ahead. If New York doesn't, they shouldn't. Here you go, a liberal arguing for states' rights.

Yup, pretty much. I don't understand why folks in states with almost no undocumented residents care at all, or if they do care, they are overwhelmingly anti-immigration. These workers are funding their Social Securi.

They're concerned about it because they don't interact with Central American immigrants very often, if at all.

All they hear is "illegal" and all they see is brown faces speaking Spanish.

People like me who interact daily with immigrants and their families, etc. on a daily basis (and have an open mind) generally see this issue very differently.
-
I have a problem with it, though not for the reasons you suggest. My problem is that there is an excess of workers competing at the bottom rungs, and native blacks and Hispanics are getting fucked hard by our happy "system" of, at best, turning a blind eye to the illegal person taking jobs that otherwise would be up for grabs. There's no helping most of these folks up the ladder if they can't get on the ladder to begin with, there's a hell of a lot less hope, forget expectation, of getting up and out of poverty for whole swaths of US born kids, higher unemployment rates in these groups, more malaise, anger, crime, etc. Yeah, I have a problem with illegal immigration.
-
I read so much of Ken's stuff, that I was ready to posit the question of he and others here of what is the "right" amount of illegal immigration? Given what he generally writes. I could not tell if he had any problem at al with illegal immigration, so it was nice to see that he at least sees a problem that should be addressed. BTW, plenty of libertarians are no borders types, and don't think there should be a such thing as an "illegal" immigrant.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
There's not? How did the millions who have gone through the process do that?

They went back to their country of origin and began the process.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This radical right winger disagrees with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3yesvvYEvs

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course he is, he is a republican. haha. Just wanted to get that out there before somebody else does.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
Duffy wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

If Arizona is ok entering an agreement with the feds to turn all its police officers into immigration officials, as the EO anticipates, then they should go ahead. If New York doesn't, they shouldn't. Here you go, a liberal arguing for states' rights.

Yup, pretty much. I don't understand why folks in states with almost no undocumented residents care at all, or if they do care, they are overwhelmingly anti-immigration. These workers are funding their Social Securi.

They're concerned about it because they don't interact with Central American immigrants very often, if at all.

All they hear is "illegal" and all they see is brown faces speaking Spanish.

People like me who interact daily with immigrants and their families, etc. on a daily basis (and have an open mind) generally see this issue very differently.

-
I have a problem with it, though not for the reasons you suggest. My problem is that there is an excess of workers competing at the bottom rungs, and native blacks and Hispanics are getting fucked hard by our happy "system" of, at best, turning a blind eye to the illegal person taking jobs that otherwise would be up for grabs. There's no helping most of these folks up the ladder if they can't get on the ladder to begin with, there's a hell of a lot less hope, forget expectation, of getting up and out of poverty for whole swaths of US born kids, higher unemployment rates in these groups, more malaise, anger, crime, etc. Yeah, I have a problem with illegal immigration.
-
I read so much of Ken's stuff, that I was ready to posit the question of he and others here of what is the "right" amount of illegal immigration? Given what he generally writes. I could not tell if he had any problem at al with illegal immigration, so it was nice to see that he at least sees a problem that should be addressed. BTW, plenty of libertarians are no borders types, and don't think there should be a such thing as an "illegal" immigrant.

You honestly think that blacks and Hispanics are banging down the door to get jobs that pay less than minimum wage and no benefits? Why do you think they are hiring illegal immigrants?

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump to Cut Federal Funding to Sanctuary Cities [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are hiring illegal immigrants because they can without repercussions.

Let me ask you. Do you support a minimum wage?

Don't get me wrong, illegal immigration isn't really an issue to me much anymore. But I laugh at people who argue illegals do jobs that americans won't do, but then argue for a minimum wage. Here is why?

Americans will do those jobs if they paid what the market absent illegal labor would do it for. When I lost my job a few years back, I was willing to clean bathrooms if that's what it took to feed my family. Absent illegal labor, the job market would have to appropriately pay wages the labor market believes is fair and just compensation. Certainly more than minimum wage, maybe even benefits.

I have referred to this in the past. But when I used to audit Marriott hotels this question often came up. A few years back, the meat processing and packing industry, another job "americans won't do" suffered some high profile ICE raids that sent a lot of illegal labor underground nation wide. Hotels in Florida and California suffered a housekeeping labor shortage. During my audit of HR I asked why? That was the explanation I was given. Funny considering we didn't hire illegal labor (another discussion), but I followed up with another question. Are our competitors running into the same issue? I was often told no. Hilton, Starwood, whoever was upping their hourly wage rate a buck or two (about 13 at the time) to attract American labor. I asked why we weren't. Budget didn't allow.

Do I have to explain this further? These specific Marriott hotels decided they would wait out the illegal labor shortage until prices returned to the levels they budgeted for. While our competitors upped the rate and got the available labor that was legal. Had Marriott upped the rate, don't you think we would have attracted some of that housekeeping labor? Had we offered more, certainly, maybe people doing other minimum wage work at say retail might have gone to housekeeping.

Back to the ICE raids on the beef processors and packers. Those ice raids shut down several plants for a few days. The result was to raise the wage by a couple of bucks and they had lines of locals, many unemployed applying for these jobs "americans wouldn't do".

So cut the crap. There aren't any jobs "americans won't do". There are jobs which americans won't do at the wages that companies with the assistance of gov't are willing to and can pay with the assistance of illegal labor.

Solution seems simple to me. Get rid of the minimum wage, and target employers who hire illegal labor with heavy fines. Allow work visa's for labor markets we truly are short in, like highly technical fields. There is no reason that HB1 visa's should be used for low skilled labor. All that means is it is cheaper for said company to not only pay for labor but the red tape cost of acquiring such visas.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply

Prev Next