Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Integrating new pup into household
Quote | Reply
Hey,

I picked up Riley, 11mo black lab, about 10 days ago from the Southern California Labrador Retreiver Rescue. My main dude, Sonny, 6yo yellow, is also an SCLRR pup. Riley put up a 30-35 mile run week his first week in the house, no issues at all, so he's a stud and is fitting very well with the fitness lifestyle. However, he's a bit of a puppy still, not many dog manners, and Sonny has to thump him a few times per day.

Question: do I let them work this out between themselves, dog on dog, or do I need to assert myself as the Alpha Daddy in some way? The sense I get is that Sonny is about 35yo, Riley is 8yo, and sometimes he just needs to pound Riley to teach him some manners, respect, etc.

Rich Strauss
Endurance Nation Ironman 2013 and 2014 World Champion TriClub, Div I
Create a FREE 7-day trial membership
Quote Reply
Re: Integrating new pup into household [Rich Strauss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as the thump is getting out of control (dogs fighting etc.) I think it is important to let them work it out on their own. Most behaviorists say you should support the structure your dogs workout and support the dominance of the dog that is dominant, which may or may not be the older dog.

You may want to read http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/dog-intros.pdf and they have some other helpful info here: http://www.ddfl.org/tips.htm

Congrats on the new puppy and the adoption! Why was he at lab rescue?
Quote Reply
Re: Integrating new pup into household [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's just it. I can't really tell who is more dominant.

Sonny: appears to have a routine, way of doing things, etc and gets pissed that Riley has broken up that routine. For example, right now, post 6 mile run with both of them, Riley is trying to get Sonny to play tug of war. Sonny is going along with it for now, but he take his 6hr siesta at 10am and will soon get grumpy. Riley will push and push him, whine because he won't play with him, Sonny will thump him. So I'm betting on a thumping at 10:20am PST :-)

Riley: I think he has an alpha personality, either that or he's just stubborn. Almost provokes/challeges Sonny quite a bit. But when Sonny snaps he gets ass his kicked, but then comes back for more :-)

R was picked up at a local park by a couple in Northridge. Obviously very well taken care of so they put flyers out, no response. Looks like he was too much to handle so the family just dumped him? This was in June so they think he was a Christmas dog. They kept him but decided they didn't have the right lifestyle for him: small yard, sedentary, etc. They listed him with SCLLR but were very picky, wanting to give him a good life.

He's a beautiful dude, great coat, teeth, stupid fit, etc. I kid you not, his first week in the house he did 7 consecutive runs for 30-35 miles and wasn't fazed one bit. He's just a little rough around the edges: jumps up, steps all over me on the bed, gets in the way in the kitchen, etc. But he's trainable and will be a good boy. Sonny was a train wreck when I got him from the rescue and he's a terrific dog now.

Rich Strauss
Last edited by: Rich Strauss: Nov 17, 05 9:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't really tell who is more dominant.

It sounds like they're still in the process of figuring it out themselves. Let 'em be, it'll sort itself out in time.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well he is a lab and only a year old so you have some of that left. I don't think our labs chilled until they were older than 2:)

It sounds like they are working it out pretty well. The fact the puppy comes back says he is still having fun to me. The last dog we introduced (not a puppy) took a few weeks before they settled it, hopefully the pup will figure it out quicker:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rich! WE NEED PICS!! :D Also, Careful with all that running, he's still a puppy and developing!! As I'm sure you're aware labs are prone to hip injuries. My yellow is close to 7 and I won't run him over 40 minutes now, although I know he'd do it! no signs of hip problems, but I don't want to create any either!! Congrats! Labs are the greatest!!
Quote Reply
Re: Integrating new pup into household [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll see if I can get him to sit still long enough. He truly is a hottie :-) The peeps at the puppy park comment on how "he has to be a purebred, very expensive dog." I'm a rescue pup dad all the way, I'm just glad he's healthy. Right now he's just very athletic, well muscled, fast as hell too. Like agility pup fast.

Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the "let them work it out on their own" so long as they remain within acceptabe limits (as you define what's acceptable). There are certain behaviors that are never acceptable, such as aggressiveness or protectiveness over food. You should be ready to assert yourself as the Alpha whenever they exceed these limits. Frankly, I think its a good idea to assert yourself as the Alpha now and then anyway just to keep things in check and remind them who's the boss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pics or it didn't happen. :)

Congrats on your new dog!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rich-

Congrats on taking on a rescue Lab.

Have a 4 yr old Yellow myself. 102 lb Male Mean Machine.
I live in the countryside, so my Sam gets lots of swim/run workouts.

From my experience(used to have 2 dogs.Lost the other last year) let the older of the 2 assert his standing in the "pack". If that means the daily thumping.....so be it.

Just make sure you let Sonny know that he's your main dog, praise him away from the newbie, give him treats w/o Riley present. This gives him the confidence and assurance that he is not being " replaced" .He'll be more accepting of Riley.

But no matter what. Assert yourself as THE main Alpha dog if the bickering gets out of hand.

They'll work it out. Labs always do. They'll eventually realize they need each other.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply