Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is There 'A Right Way To Fall'? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
Cycle falls usually happen themselves. If you get enough advance warning to prepare for a fall, that's about the same time you have to prevent the fall.

If you're hit by something, you have no choice. You will rag doll until you come to a complete stop.

If you're in control and then lose control, you will rag doll until you come to a complete stop

I've had several road bike crashes as an adult. They have usually ended badly.

Crash 1. Buddy cut me off thanks to silly riding. Knocked unconscious, broke skull (even wearing a helmet) and pelvis (buddy landed of top of me), lotsa road rash and broken but rideable bike.
Crash 2. Car pulled out in front of me and I 'endo'd' into the front of the car. Knocked unconscious and broke 4 ribs, no road rash (winter) but broken bike
Crash 3. New bike, hadn't loosened pedal so fell when trying to unclip at a stoplight. Hit a roadside bollard and broke 2 ribs. minor scratches on the bike.
Crash 4. rounded a roundabout and hit a patch of diesel in the rain. Unhurt but broke the carbon seat stay on the bike.

During those crashes, I had absolutely NO chance of falling gracefully. Down before I even knew there was an issue (except the endo, where according to the security video, I flapped my arms once :-)

you dont see me getting back on a bike with this resume!
Quote Reply
Re: Is There 'A Right Way To Fall'? [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree if you have the time to think about it however my most recent big crash this past August I had no time.
Was in an aero tuck at about 22-23mph when a car turned right in front of me. I felt that the second from when I realized I was about to get hit until I came into contact with the car took FOREVER but from that point until I was flat out on the ground took no time at all with no time to think or do anything but be along for the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Is There 'A Right Way To Fall'? [Butlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i disagree, i think that it is normal reaction to stick your hands out on a fall (and a bad decision to do so) that can be corrected if you constantly think about it... i had a mild motorcycle accident where i broke my collar bone and 2nd degree sprained my wrist and i promised that wasn't my only accident but it surely was the last time i did sprained my wrist and the last broken collar bone lol (i've had a total of 3 accident) so i think it is something that can be "trained" for i think!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Is There 'A Right Way To Fall'? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Our cycling coaches had us practice judo rolls (tuck the chin in and roll across one shoulder) so that it was a reflex reaction during crashes.

I took Judo for a couple of years in my youth. I have crashed multiple times on my bike without a single broken bone. I credit Judo with learning to never stick out my arm and to absorb the impact across my body.
Quote Reply
Re: Is There 'A Right Way To Fall'? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I started mountain biking as a teenager, a local gentleman who helped my friends and I learn the skills and trails showed us how to practice falling.

We would pick a soft grassy area. Ride up to a log, crash, flip over, learn to tuck and roll until it was reflex. The same with learning to tuck elbows and hands in when falling in a power slide. In college, I literally saw two teammates on the road team slide out in front of me during an icy winter. They stuck their hands out to brace themselves and broke their wrists. So, I believe there is a right way of falling and you can practice it.

Unfortunately, it didn't help me much in my own crashes. My worst crash happened when a drawbridge service hatch latched onto my front wheel. Tuck and roll didn't help much when you are thrown from 25mph to 0 into spiky metal bits designed to latch onto car tires.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jan 25, 17 14:15
Quote Reply
Re: Is There 'A Right Way To Fall'? [J.S+11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J.S+11 wrote:
Do your best to not reach out to break the fall. Hold onto your bars, try to counter steer, save it, whatever. Holding your bars presents multiple points of impact, a natural curve on your body for rolling to dissipate the energy and helps to not break bones; specifically, a collar bone. Best of luck and keep the rubber side down.

This is so important.
Quote Reply

Prev Next