Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cold water swimming - I need advice on cap, gloves, socks
Quote | Reply
Hello -

I just purchased my first wetsuit. I was able to try it out in a pool and buy it used from my swim coach. I plan to do a lot of open water swimming in preparation for a half in May.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a specific cap, gloves, or socks for open water swimming preferably sold on Amazon because of the easy returns process.

I found a huge selection but it is hard to tell what is good for pure swimmers as I realize the products are sometimes made for a variety of different activities.

Thank you for your time and advice.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Cold water swimming - I need advice on cap, gloves, socks [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueseventy thermal cap and booties worked well for me
Quote Reply
Re: Cold water swimming - I need advice on cap, gloves, socks [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of conditions do you plan to swim in?
How cold is the water? Air?
Ocean, bay or lake?
Quote Reply
Re: Cold water swimming - I need advice on cap, gloves, socks [mblocher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mblocher wrote:

Thanks. Do you use anything on your hands? I was wondering if fingers get cold as quickly as toes. Also bulky gloves might have a paddle effect?

Quote Reply
Re: Cold water swimming - I need advice on cap, gloves, socks [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:

Ocean, bay or lake?

I do not know how cold the water gets. It is a lake in Pennsylvania.

Historical weather data shows these air averages:

low-high

Dec 30-45
Jan 24-40
Feb 24-41
Mar 33-53
Apr 43-65
May 53-76
Jun 62-83
Jul 66-87
Aug 64-84
Sep 58-78
Oct 46-66
Nov 36-55

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure that USAT rules prohibit the use of gloves while swimming, so you might want to get used to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold water swimming - I need advice on cap, gloves, socks [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I am pretty sure that USAT rules prohibit the use of gloves while swimming, so you might want to get used to it.

Sure, understandable. I was just not sure if gloves in February might be a good idea even though they would not be used in race in May. As a beginner I just want to get in the open water as much as possible which will unfortunately be colder months.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You really dont neee to be swimming in a lake in the middle of winter to get used to open water. You'll spend more time staying warm than actually training and working on technique. 10k OW guys do mostly pool training.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam outside here on Long Island, NY at my beloved Wildwood Lake into December last year. A number of swims were in the thirties in the early morning. I used DeSoto Neoprene Cap with a silicone swim cap over it, 2mm gloves, patagonia booties, DeSoto T1 Bib and Top. The only thing that sucked was the first five minutes of face freeze. After that it was awesome being outside instead of staring at a black line.

Roar Lion Roar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Rumpled wrote:

Ocean, bay or lake?

I do not know how cold the water gets. It is a lake in Pennsylvania.

Do you plan to practice swimming in Pinchot? The race there isn't until the summer.

I can't offer suggestions on what to get, but I'm doing the Raystown olympic in May and plan on getting some inexpensive gloves and booties from Amazon. Others I've spoken to have said the water can be pretty cold and it would be better to have the gear just in case it does end up being colder. Wearing stuff is apparently allowed per the website as well.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest that you swim in a pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold water swimming - I need advice on cap, gloves, socks [Jimmw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimmw wrote:
Do you plan to practice swimming in Pinchot? The race there isn't until the summer.

I can't offer suggestions on what to get, but I'm doing the Raystown olympic in May and plan on getting some inexpensive gloves and booties from Amazon. Others I've spoken to have said the water can be pretty cold and it would be better to have the gear just in case it does end up being colder. Wearing stuff is apparently allowed per the website as well.

Good luck

I am doing Raystown in May as well. I just happen to live much closer to Pinchot which is why I want to get some open water experience there before May. I am doing the same on Amazon and I have the same mindset, I rather have the gear in my trunk ready to go rather than drive to Pinchot and have to leave right away after testing the temperatures.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait until the lake warms up and do a swim or two and you are good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry to be negative Nancy and directly contradict someone else's response, but Blue Seventy booties do next to nothing in terms of keeping me warm but do slow me down a good deal due to collecting water, about 5s/100yd (I swim in an unheated pool on occasion). I'm waiting on my HUUB booties to arrive, not sure if they will be much different. It's crazy how much water they collect:(

Blue Seventy neoprene cap keeps me warm when I wear a regular cap over it. I got the one with the chin strap and ended up cutting it off as it was annoying/restrictive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an Orca neoprene cap. Works well but I'm sure the similar offerings from BlueSeventy, AquaSphere and others all do pretty much the same thing. I'm in Ireland and the water here never gets what I'd call warm. However I don't think there's any good reason to start swimming in mid winter except because you like it. A few open water swims in the weeks before a race is sufficient to get used to the specifics of open water swimming. You will want to get used to your wetsuit, the temperature (different now and when you race), sighting when you have no markings or pool walls to guide you, water that isn't flat calm, etc. A handful of swims might not make you an expert but it's more than adequate. You'll have to get used to the other swimmers on the day but you'll get on fine. Best to train in the pool until the water starts to warm up a bit. Also, don't go swimming solo, especially when you're not used to it. It might be harder to find OW swimming buddies this time of year! If you insist, then maybe get one of the inflatable tow bouys in case of emergencies.

Finally, bear in mind that water temperature lags behind air temperature. Rivers may only lag a little and be dependent on their source and size. Lakes and the sea can lag substantially. So if air temperatures hit their lowest in January, water temperatures might be lowest in March and similarly if air temperatures are highest in June or July the water might be at it's warmest in September.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha, I misunderstood at first and thought you were saying the race was at Pinchot in May.

I'm not very experienced but agree with many of the other comments here saying to work out in the pool over winter then get in some lake swims for practice closer to the event. Thats my plan, for whatever that's worth, and I'll still get the gear to be prepared. You'll also find that the swim area at Pinchot is less than ideal for OW swimming, but there aren't many other options around.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold water swimming - I need advice on cap, gloves, socks [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
You really dont neee to be swimming in a lake in the middle of winter to get used to open water. You'll spend more time staying warm than actually training and working on technique. 10k OW guys do mostly pool training.

Haha. No joke!
I will second this bit of advice: don't swim in a lake in PA in the winter. The pool will meet your needs just fine. wtf?
Quote Reply
Re: Cold water swimming - I need advice on cap, gloves, socks [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, for racing you likely won't be allowed booties or gloves (you'll need to check). For cold swims e.g. Alcatraz, or a river in Canada a week after the ice is off, I've done silicone earplugs, neoprene cap (I don't like the chinstrap ones... I have one without), and then 2 silicone caps overtop. Keeping the cold water out of your ears is huge. In a non-race situation I'll wear neoprene scuba diving booties. I don't own gloves. I've heard some people pour warm water down their wetsuit before jumping in, I've never tried it but sounds nice. If you can, splash cold water on your face - there's a nerve that triggers a reflex when you hit cold water, and you can mitigate the effects by exposing your face before fully plunging in.

Edited to say - how the heck did this 6 yr old zombie post show up on page 2? Eek...
Last edited by: surroundhound: Mar 10, 23 17:12
Quote Reply
Re: Cold water swimming - I need advice on cap, gloves, socks [mblocher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mblocher wrote:

OP,
If I was doing an open water swim and it was really cold, I would buy 2 sets of booties and put hand warmers between the two layers to keep my feet from freezing.

Not sure how cold the temps will be for you, but that is something I would do for myself.
Quote Reply