Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trump sucks up to union thugs...
Quote | Reply
This can't be good...

http://www.zerohedge.com/...-president-incredibl

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Trump sucks up to union thugs... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What pound 'a test is he using?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  When is the left going to start giving him some love?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump sucks up to union thugs... [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
What pound 'a test is he using?

Dynamite.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Teamsters? The same guys that force you when you are setting up your booth at an Expo in Las Vegas to carry your boxes 20 feet from the front door of the Expo Hall and insist that they do all the "electrical work", (plugging simple plug into an outlet) in your booth and then charge you an insane amount for that?

I'm not sure how more of that, is going to Make America Great Again.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Trump sucks up to union thugs... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
The Teamsters? The same guys that force you when you are setting up your booth at an Expo in Las Vegas to carry your boxes 20 feet from the front door of the Expo Hall and insist that they do all the "electrical work", (plugging simple plug into an outlet) in your booth and then charge you an insane amount for that?

I agree. Hence my post. This can't be good.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The unions have a direct benefit to the pipelines being built. This was a clear wedge between dems and a loyal constituency under Obama. He kicked them to the curb to satisfy the green constituency. Trump is simply exploiting this wedge and gaining some good optics out of it. Trust me, they will hate him when it comes to plain ol fashioned management vs labor arguments and collective bargaining.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Trump sucks up to union thugs... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

you should try negotiating a 4 year contract with them. Fortunately I don't have to anymore that was a previous life. All I know is if they would use the term "incredible" after a meeting with me (which is what sounds like here) I would be looking for my wallet with both hands.......
Quote Reply
Re: Trump sucks up to union thugs... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
The unions have a direct benefit to the pipelines being built. This was a clear wedge between dems and a loyal constituency under Obama. He kicked them to the curb to satisfy the green constituency. Trump is simply exploiting this wedge and gaining some good optics out of it. Trust me, they will hate him when it comes to plain ol fashioned management vs labor arguments and collective bargaining.

boom. that's the move. the guys that run wire, cut iron, weld, pipe, etc. they think of themselves as union. they don't think of the NEA or the SEIU as union. so there's a chance to peel them off the Dem ticket. Trans Continental pipelines yes, Trans Gender bathrooms, no.

Barry did prop up the UAW in the Chrysler deal, so its not a sure win.

$0.02

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
This can't be good...

I can't decide if Trump is an idiot or a genius. Let's roll with the genius theory for a moment.

Since the early 1900s, the Democratic party claimed to be the party of labor. In the long-run, from a political "currency" standpoint, it's a good idea to have labor in your pocket. For the last... eh, ~35 years the Democratic party has only paid lip service to labor while stabbing it in the back. During this past election, the Democrats had a chance to run either a guy who walked the walk or a woman who was notoriously well connected to large, multinational corporations. They went with the latter. Trump saw an opportunity (I think) to pry labor away from the Democrats and totally rewrite the rules for future elections. If he actually follows through on his promises to protect American labor (sort of the point of Nationalism) he/the GOP can hold that up as an example of an impotent and duplicitous Democratic party.

Look, I grew up in Chicago. I've seen how unions "work." I'm not a fan (caveat: I fully understand their importance in balancing the power of capital in theory). However, if Trump has to cozy up to them to turn a bunch of blue states red I'm fine with that.

Personally, if I were advising Trump I'd have him set up shop in Flint MI and torture the Democrats into a standalone emergency appropriation bill to fix their water system (even though there are 1,400+ municipalities with higher lead levels in their water). Do it for the optics alone. Show that you actually care about the state (even if you don't) and they'll love you for at least the next three elections after decades of being abused by the Democratic Party. I'd then tell him to go to Pittsburgh and do the same thing to request the necessary authority from Congress to renegotiate NAFTA. Hold rallies in the area, tell them how China abuses the country of origin rules to smuggle in steel and aluminum duty-free and how corrupt Mexican politicians are complicit in fucking them (the steelworkers and their families).
Quote Reply
Re: Trump sucks up to union thugs... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Duffy wrote:
This can't be good...

I can't decide if Trump is an idiot or a genius. Let's roll with the genius theory for a moment.

Since the early 1900s, the Democratic party claimed to be the party of labor. In the long-run, from a political "currency" standpoint, it's a good idea to have labor in your pocket. For the last... eh, ~35 years the Democratic party has only paid lip service to labor while stabbing it in the back. During this past election, the Democrats had a chance to run either a guy who walked the walk or a woman who was notoriously well connected to large, multinational corporations. They went with the latter. Trump saw an opportunity (I think) to pry labor away from the Democrats and totally rewrite the rules for future elections. If he actually follows through on his promises to protect American labor (sort of the point of Nationalism) he/the GOP can hold that up as an example of an impotent and duplicitous Democratic party.

Look, I grew up in Chicago. I've seen how unions "work." I'm not a fan (caveat: I fully understand their importance in balancing the power of capital in theory). However, if Trump has to cozy up to them to turn a bunch of blue states red I'm fine with that.

Personally, if I were advising Trump I'd have him set up shop in Flint MI and torture the Democrats into a standalone emergency appropriation bill to fix their water system (even though there are 1,400+ municipalities with higher lead levels in their water). Do it for the optics alone. Show that you actually care about the state (even if you don't) and they'll love you for at least the next three elections after decades of being abused by the Democratic Party. I'd then tell him to go to Pittsburgh and do the same thing to request the necessary authority from Congress to renegotiate NAFTA. Hold rallies in the area, tell them how China abuses the country of origin rules to smuggle in steel and aluminum duty-free and how corrupt Mexican politicians are complicit in fucking them (the steelworkers and their families).

See. It's really not that tough of a job when you chose the right people for the job.

Now, if you want a big ass riot or militant protest then Barrack Obama should be your first call.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump sucks up to union thugs... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Duffy wrote:
This can't be good...

In my opinion, Trump is neither. What happened today was a meeting that would most likely happen anyway. The timing with what he signed makes sense. It allows labor to fire this shot across the D bow.

When actually money is spent (when dues are used to push a R agenda or candidate) I will look again

Trump met with a bunch of silicon valley execs in NY after the election. Good meeting for both sides. I am not holding my breath that all these execs "convert" anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump sucks up to union thugs... [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So he makes promises to the Unions he's going to "bring back jobs", and getting the unions in his pocket makes complete sense. Good luck. My question is how is he going to force corporations to start manufacturing items here? Sure he can institute massive importing taxes for stuff from China and outside, but those countries are going to do the same thing to our exports.

By now, most companies have crunched the numbers and off-shored because it made financial sense. American labor is expensive. What remains to be seen is how this gets off the ground, what kind of jobs / pay are the Unions going to have to concede on, etc.

Anyone can have a photo op with a bunch of Union guys and say its going to be great! Shit, he's been saying that for 2 years. He's just buttering them up for the slaughter. I'll believe it when I see it succeed. When it doesn't mark, my words, he's going to blame the unions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/nyregion/donald-trump-atlantic-city.html?_r=0

Quote Reply
Re: Trump sucks up to union thugs... [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
So he makes promises to the Unions he's going to "bring back jobs", and getting the unions in his pocket makes complete sense. Good luck. My question is how is he going to force corporations to start manufacturing items here? Sure he can institute massive importing taxes for stuff from China and outside, but those countries are going to do the same thing to our exports.

By now, most companies have crunched the numbers and off-shored because it made financial sense. American labor is expensive. What remains to be seen is how this gets off the ground, what kind of jobs / pay are the Unions going to have to concede on, etc.

Anyone can have a photo op with a bunch of Union guys and say its going to be great! Shit, he's been saying that for 2 years. He's just buttering them up for the slaughter. I'll believe it when I see it succeed. When it doesn't mark, my words, he's going to blame the unions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/nyregion/donald-trump-atlantic-city.html?_r=0

what if he spends $1T on infrastructure and builds 2 pipelines to start? just askin.......

my suspicions about who is suckering who here run the opposite of yours.
Last edited by: ironmayb: Jan 24, 17 13:53
Quote Reply
Re: Trump sucks up to union thugs... [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:

what if he spends $1T on infrastructure and builds 2 pipelines to start? just askin.......

What are the chances that an R congress is going to write a $1T check for infrastructure improvements? Just asking...
Quote Reply
Re: Trump sucks up to union thugs... [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
ironmayb wrote:

What are the chances that an R congress is going to write a $1T check for infrastructure improvements? Just asking...

50/50. Maybe better. But I could be wrong and I certainly understand your point.

we just grew our debt by 10 times that and never addressed infrastructure.

its also one of the few things I could see getting some Dem support for.
Last edited by: ironmayb: Jan 24, 17 14:14
Quote Reply
Re: Trump sucks up to union thugs... [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:

I'm amazed when people say stuff like "those countries are going to do the same thing to our exports." We import more than we export. If you normalize employment across the value chain, a trade war should bring back more jobs than it sheds.

Offshoring is old-news. Labor isn't expensive anymore because so much of production either is automated or it can be automated in a very cost-effective manner. Increasingly, companies are looking to locate manufacturing closer to demand, near cheap electricity, and in countries where they believe, when push comes to shove, their capital and intellectual property will be protected at the end of the day. Relative to its piers, the U.S. looks pretty good on all three fronts.
Quote Reply