Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dressing for winter rides: gloves
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

After spending a few winters on the bike with cheap gloves, sometimes combining several pairs, which would result in a massive loss in finger dexterity and not even keep my hands the slightest bit warmer, I've finally pulled the plug to get some decent biking gloves.

I went for the Gore Universal Windstopper Thermo gloves as they felt really nice and warm when trying them on in the shop and offered me the most dexterity at the same time. I just couldn't justify the extra cash for gore-text gloves.

So after spending 60euros on gloves I actually looked forward to dress up and conquer the belgian winter temperatures to test these babies out.. however.. 20minutes later my fingers were about as frozen as with any other glove. The only difference was that I couldn't feel the wind cutting in my skin.

I realized that windproof and insulated gloves might need a little extra in deep winter temperatures, so the next ride (a 20min commute to the pool) I added a silk liner glove, hoping my hands would stay nice and toasty. Close, but no cigar..
Hell, even on my long run my hands got cold when using them..

At this point I'm not sure if it is me, am I expecting to much, can no glove keep your hands warm on the bike?.. or if the gloves are rubbish? And if so, any tips and/or tricks? Or recommend me a deep winter glove? I've been looking at rapha thinking the price should match quality, but hey apparently that's not a guarantee anymore these days!

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Dressing for winter rides: gloves [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bar Mitts. Now if something could keep my feet from freezing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Neoprene Bar Mitts are on my road bike and fat bike and they are amazing -- even at -20f we rode with thin gloves on. However, a cheap pair of windproof mittens are often way more warm than the most expensive finger gloves, Hope this helps

Graham

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have these and rarely use the liners. Biggest problem with them is that if it isn't cold enough my hands sweat too much.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's worth paying attention to the fact that finger warmth can be as much a result of core temperature and circulation as it is finger insulation.
Blood is a heat source for your extremities.
If your core is cold, your body will reduce circulation to your extremities to minimise heat loss. It'll protect your core first and foremost and sacrifice your fingers and toes to do it. Your fingers may be freezing because your core is just a little chilly but in this case adding protection to your fingers won't really fix the problem. Whereas an extra layer on your legs or torso might make a massive difference. Another issue can be if you pack more and more layers onto your hands or feet and end up making shoes or gloves excessively restrictive. You can reduce circulation and inadvertently make the problem worse while trying to solve it.
When I started cycling 6 years ago I used to suffer a lot with painfully cold fingers and toes. I tried layering gloves, I tried combining 2 layers of socks with overshoes, I was still too cold. However, I'm one of those guys who is never really bothered by the cold in normal day to day life. When everyone else is complaining that its cold in the house or office, I'm blissfully unaware. My theory is that while I felt comfortable enough except for my extremities, my core was probably still cold enough to trigger circulation restrictions leading to my finger and toe problems. I started wearing loser, not warmer gloves and actually wore cooler/thinner socks (my shoes were feeling tight with the big woolly ones. However I started wearing a neck buff and extra base layer beyond what I had thought was necessary. Ever since, I have very few problems with painfully cold fingers and toes. I often find that my fingers get cold for the first 10mins of cold weather rides but then start to warm up again and are good for the remainder of the ride. I assume this is the result of my core temperature rising as I get under way. My guess is the initial cold air triggers reduced circulation to extremities and my fingers start cooling, but as my core temperature rises and stabilises due to the riding effort, circulation returns to normal and carries this heat to the extremities to be dissipated. Whether my theory is correct or not, it works. The extra core layer doesn't usually cause me to be uncomfortably warm but if needed on a climb or whatever, I can easily unzip my collar.

Summary:
To heat your fingers put an extra layer on your torso/legs and/or wear warmer tights. Also make sure you don't restrict circulation with tight gloves.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jan 24, 17 8:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gloves and hands in winter are way personal. I don't get cold, but my hands do. Once the temps dip below 0C, I can't ride without them getting cold. Part of this isn't the wind (as you found out) but holding onto the cold surface of your bars. My hands get far colder on my commuter bike (MTB with metal handles) than my road bike (better thicker wrapping). Personally I ended up with battery powered heated gloves, which I can use comfortably (temp is adjustable) from Zero to -20 or less (C). Mittens are great but leave you with little dexterity and a cold thumb. Sadly, for those of us with cold hands, the price of finding something warm, that we also feel comfy cycling with is rarely cheap.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do a lot of winter cycling up here in Ottawa. I'll echo what the other poster said about making sure your core is warm as your extremities are heavily influenced by this. Make sure you have good insulation on your body and wind protection - you want to be dressed in such a way that your core can overheat - if you start overheating, that's when you open some zippers and regulate.

As far as the hands go specifically, I start all my cold weather rides with warm finger gloves, BUT always have a wind proof over mitt on in the beginning 15min. or so of the ride. I find once I warm up, I can take the over mitt off and then I'm fine. If I happen to get cold again due to stopping or a falling temperature, then I'll put the over mitts back on and repeat the process.

When it gets cold I use a Castelli winter glove (not available any more, maybe an older version of the CW 3.1).
For really cold rides I use the Rapha Overmitt as an outer layer. If you've got money to burn the whole Rapha glove "system" is really nice, but the overmitt on top of a regular winter glove should be good for any temperatures you're liable to see in Belgium. They'll stand up to wet weather too.

The trick with layering gloves is to make sure that none of the layers are too tight - that ruins most of the benefit.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Re: Dressing for winter rides: gloves [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

Summary:
To heat your fingers put an extra layer on your torso/legs and/or wear warmer tights. Also make sure you don't restrict circulation with tight gloves.

This.

I've done a dozen years of riding in cold weather and cold hands (and feet) have so much to do with being generally warm and not losing warmth on your arms. If my core is warm and my arms are covered and windproof, these planet bike gloves with some liners will keep my hands warm close to 0C. If the rest of me is cold, my hands will never be warm.
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/9005.html

As a side rant, knee warmers and winter booties is the dumbest look to me. If your feet are cold, cover up your shins and stop losing heat to your feet.
Quote Reply
Re: Dressing for winter rides: gloves [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

Summary:

x3 (or whatever we're up to).

Warm long-sleeve baselayers also go a long way.

With that said, sometimes hands are just cold. In that case something like our lobster gloves can really help.
http://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Shop/Ride/Road/Unisex/Essentials/Gloves/P.R.O._AmFIB_Lobster_Glove/p/14341508136

Personally, mittens that leave the index finger separate just make my index finger cold. Your mileage may vary.

When I need extra warmth in a fingered glove, I wear a pair that is purposefully larger than my typical size. This allows me to get a light liner inside without compressing the insulation or impacting my circulation.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dressing for winter rides: gloves [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second the pi lobster claws, they work for me to about -5 to -8 C then bar mitts take me to about -15C, below that I use chemical hand warmers ( toe warmest too ). If you put them in a zip loc bag and squeeze/sucks the air out after the commute in to work they will still rewarmore up for the ride home.

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a pita when it comes to freezing fingers, my medicine taking its toll on this one to top it.
Anyhow..my wife presented me the assos (100€), did work til 5C but when your hands get a little sweaty you will pull all the inside layers out which means you don't get em on again fitting smoothly, even after washing I still looking for a solution to have the inside layers as they were new- highly not recommend those.
I'm riding with snowboard gloves a friend of mine gave me, works well but never checked below 0 cause my shoes don't work then.
Why don't you check out some stuff from planetx, they have a sale on some and the lobster style once looking solid at a reasonable price.
Good luck

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cold hands are my winter cycling Achilles heel. I have yet to find a glove,mitt etc...that keeps my hands warm. Currently I have Craft Siberian gloves and the lobster claw glove. Neither are cheap and neither keeps my fingers from going numb at about 30 minutes when its below 0C.
Ive had many different gloves over the years and they all sucked.
I guess you can go with those barmitt things but Ive yet to fork out the $ for them.
I just ride on the trainer if its too cold. :)
Quote Reply