Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

REAL DESIGN wheels legit?
Quote | Reply
Hi all- this is my first post! Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum. Curious what y'all think about this Craigslist deal. He's asking $2900 for the following. I can't find anything about "REAL DESIGN wheels". Are they the real deal, does anyone own these?

Appreciate the insight!

Here's the post and pic

"2012 large frame 10-speed Quintana Roo Tri bike ready to go!! D-railer,Tri bars, and main tube has small scratch see pics. Bike needs nothing clip in and race. All chargers for power meter and Di2 will be included,tires are decent. local pick up.
Dura ace components
Real Design race rims
Richey stem
Di2 electronic shift
Power Meter "
Quote Reply
Re: REAL DESIGN wheels legit? [TeamTarrant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeamTarrant wrote:
Hi all- this is my first post! Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum. Curious what y'all think about this Craigslist deal. He's asking $2900 for the following. I can't find anything about "REAL DESIGN wheels". Are they the real deal, does anyone own these?

Appreciate the insight!

Here's the post and pic

"2012 large frame 10-speed Quintana Roo Tri bike ready to go!! D-railer,Tri bars, and main tube has small scratch see pics. Bike needs nothing clip in and race. All chargers for power meter and Di2 will be included,tires are decent. local pick up.
Dura ace components
Real Design race rims
Richey stem
Di2 electronic shift
Power Meter "

Cons:

1) Price (too high)
2) There is no such thing as a charger for a powermeter
3) 7970 Di2 is not worth spending money on, as support for it has vanished (Shimano doesn't make parts for it anymore)
4) Real Design wheels are sort of copies/similar to SRAM S60 wheels, nothing special.

Pros:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I think that Real Design wheels are either Quintana Roo brand or Litespeed brand. Or both as QR is owned by Litespeed.

What brand/model of power meter is it? Also what model of QR is it?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: REAL DESIGN wheels legit? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are great. Thanks for the quick hits.

It's a 2012 QR CDO.1

Not sure on the power meter. Interesting not on older Di2. Didn't realize that was even an issue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 2012 QR CD0.1 Di2 was probably north of $7K. It looks like the cockpit is upgraded to PRO bars. I cannot tell from the pictures which PM it has. All of the components do seem age appropriate for a top-end bike.

Real Design was QR's house brand long ago, and they were designed with the help from Steve Hed. http://www.slowtwitch.com/...bikes/tribikeqr.html

$2,900 is a decent price for a decent bike with electronic shifting, a PM, and carbon race wheels. It may be a little high, but the alternative could also be nothing or new for $5,500 (Premier Tactical).

Edit for a couple more thoughts... If the bike was setup with a PM when new, there were not a lot of options back then. Judging from the picture, and that the owner may not have wanted to rebuild the wheels, it is probably not a Powertap hub. So, that leaves stuff like SRM, Power2Max, and Quarq. It does not look like an iBike PM. It looks like there is a massive head unit on the extensions, so maybe that is the dedicated PM head.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jan 24, 17 6:43
Quote Reply
Re: REAL DESIGN wheels legit? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just messaged him. More pics and such coming later but see the pic text thread. He did say that he had a Swift Carbon Frame and switched all his components over to the QR. The wheels were also not stock.

Is that typically cause for concern? Knowing so much his flip flopped around?

Appreciate all the help.
Last edited by: TeamTarrant: Jan 24, 17 6:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$2900 is a lot of money for a 5 year old franken-bike with outdated no longer supported 10 speed components, no-name wheels.

Edit to add - You will never get anywhere near your money back should you decide to resell. Off-label wheels, and 10 speed to boot, will literally be worthless, no one will buy. Also will get next to nothing for an old power meter, regardless of brand, due to the fact that PM's don't tend to last forever, and new ones have dropped in price so much. And old QR frames fetch next to nothing in the classifieds/ebay.
I wouldn't pay 1k for that bike, too many unknowns and worthless once 'driven off the lot'......

You can get a brand new Giant Trinity Advanced for MSRP 1850. Use the remaining 1k to purchase a power meter and a rear wheel cover, etc.
Di2 is nice, but not required, and can be upgraded to easily down the road.
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Jan 24, 17 7:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could not find the "pic text thread," but I did find the listing in Nashville CL.

No worries at all about switching components. That is very easy work, and anyone passionate about racing would probably have done regular upgrades to their bikes during their time of ownership. My IA 16 is less than a year old, and I have already upgraded the saddle, cassette, wheels, brakes, and brake levers. The stem and handlebars will be replaced within the next month. I am thinking about a interim upgrade to an Ultegra RD and RD to hold me until I eventually do an electronic shifting upgrade. So, by 2 years of ownership, I will probably have changed out nearly everything on my bike except for the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeamTarrant wrote:
Just messaged him. More pics and such coming later but see the pic text thread. He did say that he had a Swift Carbon Frame and switched all his components over to the QR. The wheels were also not stock.

Is that typically cause for concern? Knowing so much his flip flopped around?

Appreciate all the help.

Pass, at this point in the game you don't want 10-speed, and you definitely don't want 10-speed electronic with lack of parts and/or availability.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: REAL DESIGN wheels legit? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are crazy helpful. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: REAL DESIGN wheels legit? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:

With USB charged PMs, like the Power2Max NG, that's no longer the case.

Last edited by: rijndael: Jan 24, 17 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: REAL DESIGN wheels legit? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just discovered mybikeshop.com.

Lots of love on this forum. Might be the place to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first TT bike was a 2008 QR Lucero and came with Real Design wheels. They were the old, low-end Zipp Flashpoints under a different badge. My rims had the Real Design logos but the hubs were stamped "Flashpoint". When SRAM bought Zipp, the Flashpoint 60s became the SRAM 60s. I doubt anyone will remember that evolution, but the bottomline is that they are good (not great) wheels, but not worth a lot given the subsequent evolution and the end of the torroidal patent (which Flashpoints did not benefit from). What I'm not sure about is whether by 2012 QR was still using the Flashpoint mold for the rims or had made further upgrades.
Quote Reply
Re: REAL DESIGN wheels legit? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

With USB charged PMs, like the Power2Max NG, that's no longer the case.

Yes, I have an NG on the way (got the email that it would be delayed til next month) and also have the Rotor 2Inpower, which also has a USB magnetic charger, like a Macbook. No more coin batteries for me!

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since it seems you most likely won't be pursuing this bike can we get a link to what you are looking at?

I'd like to check it out to see what is on there. (picture wise).

Also, I think that asking price is way too much. Maybe $1500 max is what that bike is worth without knowing what kind of PM is on there. If the PM is newer then maybe a few hundred more might be justifiable.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Jan 24, 17 14:34
Quote Reply
Re: REAL DESIGN wheels legit? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got it. http://nashville.craigslist.org/bik/5941246443.html

He didn't post any pictures there but I'm sure he could text you a few.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting that.

It doesn't look like that bike has an Powertap hub or a Stages PM (looks like Dura Ace cranks). Looks like there is an SRM on there (I think I spy a SRM Power Control (PC) head unit on the aero bars). And, yes, that does have a charging cable but for the head unit only. Can't 100% tell if this is a wireless or wired SRM though. Looks like there are some suspicious wires running from the SRM PC that looks like this might be a wired unit though.

I really use a lot of "looks like" now that I reread it.

Reminds me of the "Cat Game" (those who are fans will know what this is).
Last edited by: loxx0050: Jan 24, 17 14:47
Quote Reply