Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If it gets sweaty, wash it
Quote | Reply
Or at least rinse it off from time to time.

Your handlebars/tape, your helmet, your shoes, heart rate monitor strap, helmet, watch, sunglasses, saddle.

And gloves. Wash your gloves.

These need not be after every use, and might only be a few times a year for some things like shoes. But wash or rinse stuff that gets sweaty.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Jan 24, 17 2:08
Re: If it gets sweaty, wash it [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
Oh damn you, now I want to know if my sunglasses smell :-D

Yeah. Perhaps the stuff that is non-absorbent -- like sunglasses and some watch straps -- don't matter. They'll just have dried sweat on them. But the stuff that can hold moisture? Please at least rinse them off!

Quote Reply
Re: If it gets sweaty, wash it [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who doesn't wash gloves?
That would be akin to not washing your shorts, jersey or socks. Maybe worse in some respects, since you touch your food, face, and water bottles with your gloves!

Bar tape doesn't wash so effectively, although it probably depends on type.
Saddle - unnecessary. Most saddles are non-absorbent with either slick or rubbery surface finishes. Sweat doesn't impregnate them, or if it does, a wash won't help much.
Helmet pads - yep, (only occasionally or they don't tend to last long)
HR strap - yep
Sunglasses - yep, as needed
Handlebars - along with the rest of the bike. Mostly needed if you use the bike on a trainer as excess sweat on the cockpit and elsewhere will accelerate corrosion of bolts etc. For outdoor riding I don't think any special attention for sweat is normally necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:

I do ride in the rain occasionally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This probably goes double for things that might get peed in during a race... like your shoes :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will just add that my favorite helmet cleaning method is to shampoo up in the shower, then put helmet on and slide it around a bit, then rinse. Follicle-challenged might need another technique.

Bonus: head protection if you slip on the soap.
Quote Reply
Re: If it gets sweaty, wash it [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
This probably goes double for things that might get peed in during a race... like your shoes :)
People are peeing in my shoes while I'm busy swimming? Bastards!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone wash aerobar pads?

Lot's of zwifting has resulted in quite smelly ceegees.
Quote Reply
Re: If it gets sweaty, wash it [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I haven't tried throw that in the washing machine and let it air dry. One of these days I should wash mine...but I also cover my pads with plastic wrap for trainer use. Lay a towel on top and wash that periodically (I also plastic wrap my stem bolts and front brake caliper too to protect those from sweat).

I use a special pouch that the wife has to clean her under garments. It's basically a special mesh pouch with a zipper to protect delicate clothes in the wash. Used that to wash my HRM strap before and my running hats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So now you're telling me I have to shower?! ST has gone too far now!

jt10000 wrote:

Your handlebars/tape, your helmet, your shoes, heart rate monitor strap, helmet, watch, sunglasses, saddle.

And gloves. Wash your gloves.

These need not be after every use, and might only be a few times a year for some things like shoes. But wash or rinse stuff that gets sweaty.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean I should wash my underarms?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cycle commute to work every day. It's not far (just 13km) but far enough that in summer I get sweaty. In winter I get rained on. I wash my cycle gear every day. Rain jackets get washed every weekend. Helmets get washed and rinsed (dunked in a bucket of soapy water, then rinsed in clean water) every month or so. Gloves get washed every 2 days. I commute in MTB shoes and they get washed about every month or so.
I have 5 pairs of cycle shoes so use the newest dry ones available on any given day.
I have a dresser for life clothes and a complete separate dresser for cycling and running gear. I have a complete drawer just for cycle shorts (long tights, knee warmers etc go in a 3rd dresser in the spare room :-)

Oh I should mention that when I say I wash stuff every day, I mean the "laundry fairy" aka TriSpouse, does the laundry. With us both working out during the day, commuting clothes for me, work clothes and of course casual clothes too, we do 1-2 loads of laundry for the 2 of us.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends where you live. I'm in the UK, for large chunks of the year I'm not getting that sweaty, and it rains a lot. Clothing that's next to my skin absolutely gets washed (nearly) every ride. The rest of it, not so much. Outer layers and gloves get washed when they start to smell, but that can sometimes take a while, and washing does reduce their longevity, particularly for waterproof or windproof fabrics. Shoes get washed very rarely but are sprayed regularly with Scholl to keep them smelling nice. Helmet and bar tape have never been washed, but get rinsed with rain regularly and don't smell. HR strap has never been washed but doesn't smell. Saddle gets a wipe down when I clean the bike. Sunglasses and watch get a rinse to keep them looking clean.

I imagine if I lived somewhere where it didn't rain much and was regularly warmer than 25C/80F then I might have a different view.
Quote Reply
Re: If it gets sweaty, wash it [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gloves, for most people at least, are next to the skin. Waiting till my nose notices a problem would be nasty. YMMV.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you get some of that stuff into the wash machine? Doesn't in clank around a lot?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: If it gets sweaty, wash it [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Depends where you live. I'm in the UK, for large chunks of the year I'm not getting that sweaty, and it rains a lot. Clothing that's next to my skin absolutely gets washed (nearly) every ride. The rest of it, not so much. Outer layers and gloves get washed when they start to smell, but that can sometimes take a while, and washing does reduce their longevity, particularly for waterproof or windproof fabrics. Shoes get washed very rarely but are sprayed regularly with Scholl to keep them smelling nice. Helmet and bar tape have never been washed, but get rinsed with rain regularly and don't smell. HR strap has never been washed but doesn't smell. Saddle gets a wipe down when I clean the bike. Sunglasses and watch get a rinse to keep them looking clean.

I imagine if I lived somewhere where it didn't rain much and was regularly warmer than 25C/80F then I might have a different view.
I'm in the east of Ireland, so the weather is probably better than Scotland, worse than southern England and similar to most other parts of the UK.
It doesn't matter if it's cold, I still sweat. It doesn't matter if my gloves don't smell, they're still dirty.
What I do agree with is that sweat may not migrate as far from your skin so out layers might be okay for another use the next day, but socks, shorts/tights, base layers and gloves and are not negotiable. I generally wash all clothing between rides (except non-absorbent rainjackets) but on occassion, when stuck, I've re-used a soft-shell jacket.

My priorities would be both shorts/tights and gloves, by quite a distance.
Quote Reply
Re: If it gets sweaty, wash it [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm unusual but for a lot of the year my hands just don't noticeably sweat. Unless it's raining my gloves are bone dry when I take them off. I bought a new pair of winter gloves in November and have been using them pretty much daily on commutes and weekend rides ever since, and they look basically as good as new with not even a hint of smell. When temperatures get over 20C that changes a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: If it gets sweaty, wash it [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
How do you get some of that stuff into the wash machine? Doesn't in clank around a lot?
Get an old-school washboard.

Last edited by: jt10000: Jan 25, 17 3:31
Quote Reply