Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cheap running shoes
Quote | Reply
What are recommendations for good, cheap running shoes? there are plenty of outlets selling nikes and new balance in the $65 range. Are any of those shoes good? My favorite shoe is a good, big expensive shoe like the Brooks Beast, but the prices are getting stupid for a shoe that lasts one season.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap running shoes [aloys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must not ride a bike if you think shoes are expensive. Lol. I wish I liked running as much as riding, I'd have a lot more money in the bank. That said I've scored new hoka cliftons on eBay and on Left Lane Sports cheap, you just have to deal with an ugly color or last version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aloys wrote:
What are recommendations for good, cheap running shoes? there are plenty of outlets selling nikes and new balance in the $65 range. Are any of those shoes good? My favorite shoe is a good, big expensive shoe like the Brooks Beast, but the prices are getting stupid for a shoe that lasts one season.

Have a look for Pearl Izumi running shoes, I believe they're no longer selling running shoes so some bargains out there.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you're running as much as you want to run, and you're staying healthy, don't switch shoes.

i mean, i hear you on the shoe prices. the ones i run in (glycerin, nimbus, cascadia) can be insane. but just look for deals and *maybe* for a different kind of shoe to mix it up for an occasional run, but don't just go jumping into some new kind of shoe to save a few bucks. dance with the one that brung ya.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I worked in a running store for a good while.

The difference is between "active running shoes" and "technical running shoes," with technical running shoes being those designed for people running a fair amount (we'll call it 15-20mpw or greater). When you think of a running shoe, you probably think of a technical runner - Brooks Beast, Glycerin, Asics Nimbus, etc. Active runners would be something like Saucony Cohesion or similar.

The quality difference between the two is fairly significant. One is made to run, the other is made to look like a running shoe and function as one until you realize its shortcomings (materials, cushioning systems, durability).

My recommendation - get last year's model of your favorite trainers..and buy 2-3 pairs at a time when you find a good deal. A $120 shoe will discount to $80-90 after a few months, then down to $60 in whatever sizes are left. Figure if a shoe comes down to 80, you can get 3 for the price of 2, if it's down to 60, you get 4 for the price of 2.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay with the shoe that works for you; expensive running shoes are a lot less than cheap knee surgery. The main function of a training shoe is to keep you uninjured. To save some $$, look for last year's model on eBay. I got my $100 Nike Lunartempo 2 shoes there brand new for $45 (shipped)...just in an ugly print. Leftlane and Backcountry are good options too, if they have your shoe in stock.

Disclaimer: I work at eBay.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing to do is pick up new shoes after the next model comes out. Often times you can get them at pretty steep discounts and stock up for a year or so. I go through around 5-6 pairs of shoes a year (nearly 2200 miles in 2016), and really don't want to pay $120+ for every pair. I've managed to get a lot of my shoes at 40-50% off MSRP by simply buying them after the newest edition comes out. Running Warehouse has a 15% off code that is taken off sale items, which makes even expensive shoes quite reasonable.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap running shoes [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
You must not ride a bike if you think shoes are expensive. Lol. I wish I liked running as much as riding, I'd have a lot more money in the bank. That said I've scored new hoka cliftons on eBay and on Left Lane Sports cheap, you just have to deal with an ugly color or last version.

Except bike shoes last a lot longer so they are cheaper in the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aloys wrote:

Here's my nomination, the Skechers GOrun 400:
https://www.skechers.com/...echers-gorun-400/bkw

I currently use them on the treadmill only for my Canadian winter months... they are pretty much all lightweight foam, not much of a tread to be found, so I can imagine they get pretty shredded on the road. If you're looking for something super light, flexible and cheap, this can hit that. I've hit the 2+ hour mark with this type with no issues, but again I can't speak much on outside performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap running shoes [armyrunguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like the NB Fresh Foam Zante at the moment, and can pick them up here for about $50 to $60 for the v2. Nice and light, plenty of cushioning for long training runs and responsive enough for speed work. I'm pretty light (60kgs) though, so I'm not sure how the cushioning would be for larger runners.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Set up a Camel Camel Camel notification to let you know when the price dips to a point your willing to buy and then stock up. I run in Kinvaras and I typically just by the version from a year or two ago. Its a lot cheaper than buying the newest shoe on the shelf.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap running shoes [layaway tay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
layaway tay wrote:
Set up a Camel Camel Camel notification to let you know when the price dips to a point your willing to buy and then stock up. I run in Kinvaras and I typically just by the version from a year or two ago. Its a lot cheaper than buying the newest shoe on the shelf.

+1 on Kinvaras. Saucony in general I also use and love their Fastwhich as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seem to prefer the opposite from you since I like a lightweight shoe for training and a racing flat for tris. My last 3 shoes have been older models of Brooks PureFlow shoes and I actively shop online for them in my size/color and have found them for $50-$60. Saved eBay searches are your friend.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap running shoes [armyrunguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
armyrunguy wrote:
aloys wrote:

Here's my nomination, the Skechers GOrun 400:
https://www.skechers.com/...echers-gorun-400/bkw

I currently use them on the treadmill only for my Canadian winter months... they are pretty much all lightweight foam, not much of a tread to be found, so I can imagine they get pretty shredded on the road. If you're looking for something super light, flexible and cheap, this can hit that. I've hit the 2+ hour mark with this type with no issues, but again I can't speak much on outside performance.

+1 on the Skechers! I have a pair of Go Run and Go Trails love love love them both. Think one pair was $48 and the other $53 on Amazon

CC
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap running shoes [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run in the Zante v1 at 79kg and love them. They are a little light on cushion in the forefoot, so you have to engage your calf more than you would otherwise. The v2 never felt right to me; they changed the foam density and I didn't like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoekicker.com is pretty good for finding the lowest prices on a specific shoe (including previous models, you can narrow that down after the initial results return). It does sometimes omit results from some retailers though, for some reason.

As an example (I used size 11 as a guess), $89:

https://shoekicker.com/...brooks-beast?size=11
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Jan 24, 17 11:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aloys wrote:

i love Zoot shoes and normally get them from amazon for very little money! give that try

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didnt read everyones posts so sorry if this is repetitive. I wouldnt try new shoes. I did that this past year. I got a pair of pearl izumis, love them but not the same as my original nikes I usually buy. I use them now for gym work and small short runs but I had to go back to my nikes. Even though they retail for 120, I managed to find them for 65 using promo codes and discounts at the end of the year. Try that. I just got another pair as a spare because of how good the deal was. Look around and you will find some. Do not switch up what works.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap running shoes [sabotony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try runrepeat.com. You can sort by size and type (and other parameters) for deals. Pretty good resource to find discount shoes in the right size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runningwarehouse.com

check the sale shoes
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap running shoes [cbump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbump wrote:
runningwarehouse.com

check the sale shoes

Also, use the FB15D code for another 15% off most sale shoes at runningwarehouse.com

-

Larry Lahodny
Owner, Gizmo Socks
Henderson, NV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are several good places online to pick up good shoes at great sale prices. I just picked up a few pair of Hokas at runningwarehouse.com for less than half-price. Use a coupon code and save even more there. 6pm.com also is a good place to look. I never pay full price for new shoes. I simply search and find a now defunct model at great discount. Stay away from NIke running shoes, they're crap.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap running shoes [lahodny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lahodny wrote:
cbump wrote:
runningwarehouse.com

check the sale shoes

Also, use the FB15D code for another 15% off most sale shoes at runningwarehouse.com

+2. They've been great to me for years and with free return shipping you can't go wrong.

Another good one is jackrabbit.com. Every few months they run an extra 30%-40% off of sale shoes coupon code which makes it easy to get some under $50.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap running shoes [re-fresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackrabbit, they held onto my money for six weeks without shipping anything they said they had in stock. I kept getting the run-around on when they were going to ship. Finally complaining to my credit card company got my money back.

Jaret Johnson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you going to save? $50 max?

That's not much money over the life of a shoe. This is a utility issue. It's not some kind of superficial fashion statement thing.

I'm all for frugal, but pick your spots. That's the way I think. If you have found one that you like and that works, $50 is nothing in my opinion.

Heck, skip eating out twice and you are there.
Quote Reply