Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spare 30 min ideas....?
Quote | Reply
I usually have around 90mins or so during the early mornings M-F , in which I usually do a bike combo of some sort...
60min bike followed by 30 min run
90min standalone bike

My runs are usually the 60min mark (limiting these to prevent injury) meaning I have 30 mins spare. Thinking of throwing in a quick 30min spin whilst the wife gets ready.

Question is, any benefit of doing this bike after my 60min run? (Usually a tempo or interval run) , i.e make it a reverse brick.
Or should I tag it at the beginning of the run to simulate (but not a true simulation) of a brick. So mixing up my bike and run focus days.

Any thoughts from the rest of the experts here?

I know...lucky me, with all this spare time!
....BTW, swimming is out the question as the pool is a 20min, busy road, drive.
....and the gym is also in the same place as the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Spare 30 min ideas....? [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More info please. What are you training for?

Anyway, My first thought is to simply lengthen your run to over 70 minutes. I typically tun a nine mile base run.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Spare 30 min ideas....? [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.

Just spending a lot of my time building up running mileage the BarryP way (Thanks BarryP! - its worked a charm!), currently at round the 40-43 mpw mark. Most of my runs are around a comfy 7:20-7:30 min/mile and get in around 8 miles easy with in 60mins. And around 12-13 miles on a Saturday.
Not after speed at the moment, just run durability.

And, the other focus is the FTP training on the bike. I want to get stronger on the bike, hence the thought of extra 30min 'here an there'. Currently doing 4 rides with one of those being a recovery. Weekly schedule is more or less, (m)Bike (tues)Run (wed)Bike (thr)Run etc.... etc....

No competitions or races, just staying focused on being at home with family at the moment, but want to get some improvements with the training i'm dong when I finally sign up for a race later this year. Consider this my offseason training to get stronger for later on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sleep in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[Any thoughts from the rest of the experts here?

I know...lucky me, with all this spare time!
....BTW, swimming is out the question as the pool is a 20min, busy road, drive.
....and the gym is also in the same place as the pool.[/quote]

Use CaptainCanada's training plan post #2

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2479432;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Re: Spare 30 min ideas....? [mooseknuckle69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Haha, Classic :)

@afrizzledfry i'm also lucky to have a good body clock that gets up without an alarm around the same time every morning. Rather not sleep in incase i disturb my inner zen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Question is, any benefit of doing this bike after my 60min run? (Usually a tempo or interval run) , i.e make it a reverse brick.

You'll probably (most likely) have a lower overall recovery cost running then biking vs biking then running.

There is evidence out there that volume is more important than intensity in endurance sports.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Spare 30 min ideas....? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks desertdude. Thats was what I was thinking, just throwing in 30mins here and there adds atleast another 60-90mins or so of cycling volume without even thinking about it.

Totally agree on the recovery cost, as I'll probably be doing these rides at HIM watts which is no strain what so ever over a 30min period, and especially if they're tagged at the end of a run. Unless you can suggest a better way of spending this 30mins (bearing in mins my bike focus days are quite intense)?

I follow your advice closely on these forums, and will most likely take this piece of nugget on board. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about 30 min on the foam roller, shoulder strengthing with bands, stretching, running drills and so on?
How is your food habits? Use the 30 min on better food planning/prepping?

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What other training are you doing?
If I had 30mins to spare a couple of times a week, I'd likely spend them doing some strength and flexibility work. A bit of pilates or similar would likely be beneficial unless you're already doing this at other times. If so, then why not just do some relatively easy spinning to recover after the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pull-ups and/or push-ups?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always matched my run days with core workouts to keep it a fairly even time-load across the week regardless if i was on the bike or running after work.

edit: an example is i typically did 2-2.5 hour bike rides during work week and my runs were usually 60-90 minutes. So i would then do 30-60 minutes of core or strength training on those run days.
Last edited by: racehd: Jan 24, 17 7:44
Quote Reply