Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If you don't like it here, leave
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: If you don't like it here, leave [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The Dutch felt increasingly uncomfortable with people who abused the very freedom they came in search of, Mr Rutte argued."

I'd be genuinely interested to know what percentage of modern immigrants travel to a foreign land seeking to generally assimilate, versus seeking to live according to their own ideals in a more-palatable, and benevolent environment.

Naturally, the two predominantly-vocal opinions would have you believe that it's essentially 100% on either end of the spectrum. They all want to assimilate, or none of them want to assimilate.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: If you don't like it here, leave [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be genuinely interested to know what percentage of modern immigrants travel to a foreign land seeking to generally assimilate, versus seeking to live according to their own ideals in a more-palatable, and benevolent environment.

My guess is that the overwhelming majority are mostly concerned with finding a job and supporting their families. The same would want to fit into their new country but feel more comfortable around people they know and have something in common with so keep a lot of their traditions.

The problems often occur with the second generation who often don't feel a part of either.

Quote Reply
Re: If you don't like it here, leave [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
"The Dutch felt increasingly uncomfortable with people who abused the very freedom they came in search of, Mr Rutte argued."

Naturally, the two predominantly-vocal opinions would have you believe that it's essentially 100% on either end of the spectrum. They all want to assimilate, or none of them want to assimilate.

What would also be interesting to know is how many want to assimilate, but find they are not welcome. We literally had a HS principal post anti-Muslim rhetoric and memes on his FB page, get suspended and reinstated all within the same week. By the incredible amount of comments backing him, it's pretty clear not all areas are willing to offer a chance at assimilation. It's easy to see how some get dis-allusioned.
Quote Reply
Re: If you don't like it here, leave [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll admit to a personal bias, given a familial relationship with Rutte. But he's a good guy. Reasonable, centrist, smart, and ethical.
Quote Reply
Re: If you don't like it here, leave [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

My guess is that the overwhelming majority are mostly concerned with finding a job and supporting their families. The same would want to fit into their new country but feel more comfortable around people they know and have something in common with so keep a lot of their traditions.

The problems often occur with the second generation who often don't feel a part of either.

I would disagree with you. Majority, perhaps, but not overwhelming majority. Over time, the "network" learns how to work the system, taking advantage of every possible loophole and benefit. This is communicated to others coming to the "foreign land". So while, yes, there are those that are "mostly concerned with finding a job and supporting their families", many, many are concerned with taking as much as they can while maximizing their own benefits, i.e. bringing over elderly parents, grandparents, etc...

The reason that the 2nd generation don't feel a part of it has much to do with the parents that keep those traditions, and fail to recognize the imperative to integrate their children into the "new" society, to make them "part of" it...
Quote Reply
Re: If you don't like it here, leave [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

They don't want to assimilate, they want to conquer.

They couldn't make their shitty countries work for them, so they want to go somewhere else, where they can slowly turn it into a shithole too. I say GTFO to all of them who can't behave themselves and conform.
Quote Reply
Re: If you don't like it here, leave [RZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RZ wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

They couldn't make their shitty countries work for them, so they want to go somewhere else, where they can slowly turn it into a shithole too. I say GTFO to all of them who can't behave themselves and conform.

We're talking about the pilgrims?
Quote Reply
Re: If you don't like it here, leave [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he meant puritans in general. And maybe the Jews like this refuge

Quote Reply
Re: If you don't like it here, leave [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
I think he meant puritans in general. And maybe the Jews like this refuge

That dude had already done his best work long before he came to the U.S.; in fact you could say he was trading on his reputation at that point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RZ wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Righties of the LR. Remember when you questioned whether Trump voters actually believed his xenophobic rhetoric? Can I present this as an exhibit? It's baffling how many people think like this, but for some reason no one likes to admit it.
Quote Reply
Re: If you don't like it here, leave [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
RZ wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

We're talking about the pilgrims?

Only if "we're" are the Mohicans and Iroquois. Are we're?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RZ wrote:

I agree, but the PC police will come and get you for saying so.
Quote Reply
Re: If you don't like it here, leave [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
RZ wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Righties of the LR. Remember when you questioned whether Trump voters actually believed his xenophobic rhetoric? Can I present this as an exhibit? It's baffling how many people think like this, but for some reason no one likes to admit it.

Okay, moron. I was speaking in the context of the article posted in this thread about the Netherlands. Do you even understand the serious problems that Scandinavian countries are having with immigrants right now? These people are not trying to assimilate at all. They are coming in and trying to transform their host countries into their own new islamic states. They are committing all kinds of violent crimes against citizens of their host countries. If that's how they are going to be, then yes, they should get the fuck out. Just like the USA deports illegals who commit felonies. Would you rather they stay and continue to victimize the citizens? There's a big difference between being benevolent and being a sucker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RZ wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
RZ wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Okay, moron. I was speaking in the context of the article posted in this thread about the Netherlands. Do you even understand the serious problems that Scandinavian countries are having with immigrants right now? These people are not trying to assimilate at all. They are coming in and trying to transform their host countries into their own new islamic states. They are committing all kinds of violent crimes against citizens of their host countries. If that's how they are going to be, then yes, they should get the fuck out. Just like the USA deports illegals who commit felonies. Would you rather they stay and continue to victimize the citizens? There's a big difference between being benevolent and being a sucker.

see post #13
Quote Reply
Re: If you don't like it here, leave [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt. The irony is that I didn't even vote for Trump. I'm a social liberal, fiscal conservative, but I draw the line at absurdity.

This is how the problem should be addressed:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RZ wrote:
No doubt. The irony is that I didn't even vote for Trump. I'm a social liberal, fiscal conservative, but I draw the line at absurdity.

Nope. Sorry. Going by your initial post to this thread... you are a deplorable. Embrace it. Live Free or Die!
Quote Reply