Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump and the bike industry ? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just glad I don't live in the US and am staring down the barrel of higher bike prices just so Donald can collect more taxes/import tariffs

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Trump and the bike industry ? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a completely impartial (i.e. overseas) observer...

It's going to be interesting watching what goes on over there, and how it impacts on everyone else. TPP already canned it seems.

I'm curious to know why President T isn't going after all those companies that are hugely successful, and yet pay little tax due to the various loopholes, overseas bases, etc etc. But then he's pretty good at not paying tax too?

Hmmm.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump and the bike industry ? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
DBF wrote:
every economist agrees that protectionism does not work.

protectionism doesn't work for the overall economy, at least according to economists, who must know something.
but even if the cons outweigh the pros, it still has winners and losers.

besides, soon we'll be winning so much we'll be tired of winning. we'll all have carbon fiber American-made bikes and anyone who spells it 'fibre' will be deported.

There doesn't seem to be much of an acknowledgement of the effect of other countries reciprocating. I can image Boeing losing a multi-billion dollar order to Airbus over some stupid dispute over trade. These things make bike parts look pretty trivial. The funny thing is that US agriculture probably stands to lose the most and they overwhelmingly voted for the Donald. The Pacific rim is a huge potential export market for beef and pork, but you don't think they will feel like buying from the US if they are getting screwed.

What hasn't been acknowledged is that other countries already have protectionist policies and the U.S. has not reciprocated. Where is the reciprocation for China only allowing thirty-four foreign movies per year to open in Chinese theaters? Where is the reciprocation for our most successful internet companies being shut out of China? Where is the reciprocation for foreign companies being forced to partner with Chinese companies to do business in China? If there is going to be free trade then it has to cut both ways, otherwise we are China's bitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump and the bike industry ? [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quintana who wrote:
As a completely impartial (i.e. overseas) observer...

It's going to be interesting watching what goes on over there, and how it impacts on everyone else. TPP already canned it seems.

I'm curious to know why President T isn't going after all those companies that are hugely successful, and yet pay little tax due to the various loopholes, overseas bases, etc etc. But then he's pretty good at not paying tax too?

Hmmm.

Well, hyper-successful people and businesses are winners, especially if they tear up the planet to get there. Everybody else are losers. To the winners go the spoils and people that lose shouldn't just lose, but they should be punished. Gold doesn't shine as nicely unless everybody else is covered in dirty rags.

http://www.politifact.com/...-have-kept-Iraq-oil/

Since he is now signing orders to give away our public lands to oil companies, a mountain bike isn't going to be much use anyway. And now that Trump-inspired Montana is trying to pass a bill that outlaws riding bikes on roads in rural areas, you won't need a road bike either.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/...mp;utm_medium=Social

Listen, if you have to ride a bike to get places, then you're just poor and need to work harder so you can get a Bentley already and quit slumming around like your waitstaff. Your butler should be riding a bike, not you.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trump and the bike industry ? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
DBF wrote:

protectionism doesn't work for the overall economy, at least according to economists, who must know something.

besides, soon we'll be winning so much we'll be tired of winning. we'll all have carbon fiber American-made bikes and anyone who spells it 'fibre' will be deported.

There doesn't seem to be much of an acknowledgement of the effect of other countries reciprocating. I can image Boeing losing a multi-billion dollar order to Airbus over some stupid dispute over trade. These things make bike parts look pretty trivial. The funny thing is that US agriculture probably stands to lose the most and they overwhelmingly voted for the Donald. The Pacific rim is a huge potential export market for beef and pork, but you don't think they will feel like buying from the US if they are getting screwed.

What hasn't been acknowledged is that other countries already have protectionist policies and the U.S. has not reciprocated. Where is the reciprocation for China only allowing thirty-four foreign movies per year to open in Chinese theaters? Where is the reciprocation for our most successful internet companies being shut out of China? Where is the reciprocation for foreign companies being forced to partner with Chinese companies to do business in China? If there is going to be free trade then it has to cut both ways, otherwise we are China's bitch.

This hits it on the head. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it was funny when trump complained about german cars the other day.
from what i undestand trump ,in his buisness ,deals a lot with the german bank ...as most amercian banks would not deal with him anymore...

Arch Stanton wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
DBF wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:

I agree with this. I live in Taiwan and have seem much of this in personal experience in business. The problem for many crucial US exports to China is that they are agricultural products, cultural products and internet businesses. So on the pretext of consumer safety, Asian markets reduce access for US beef due to BSE. Limit pork imports because of US use of ractopamine. Firewall FB etc due to censorship issues. And behind these walls China builds WeChat (which totally destroys What'sApp in every aspect of functionality), taibao, etc etc. But the argument from them (incorrect) will always be these are domestic issues.

As for the bike industry under Trump...I agree it's technology not trade that is killing jobs. Bringing highly automated factories to the US (I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying 'back to the US' as the big players in manufacturing today are not and have never been American.) will not magically bring back the jobs that the president has promised. On the flip side, however, it could be a real boon to innovation and customization for bikes manufactured close to their customers. Change is never all good or all bad...it will be interesting to see what evolves out of this. If Trump can use this to rebalance trade, then I think it's good for all sides. The environmental destruction in many parts of China caused by the manufacture of cheap goods destined for the US market is appalling.

I'm in the camp that argues the US has a lot to lose in a trade war with China. Americans should consider how other countries will crush US exports just as America crushes theirs. Boeing has been mentioned and is a prime example of how this will cost a lot of well paid, highly skilled jobs that at best will be replaced by low wage, low skill jobs, but more than likely, simply replaced with automation. Sounds like a winning plan to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:

I can take a guess where the "reciprocation" is.

The US would not have agreed to the "bad" trade deals that we have with China unless we (the US) is/are already China's b*tch.

So, clearly, they already have us by the short hairs. How? Well, if you're an American, just take a look around your house (triathlon equipment included). If you're anything close to typical, 90% to 95% of the things in your house came from China.

Imagine if that pipeline all of a sudden stopped.
I think the US would, plain and simple, grind to a halt ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Trump and the bike industry ? [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:
The environmental destruction in many parts of China caused by the manufacture of cheap goods destined for the US market is appalling.

x1000

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess people will have to settle for Ultegra instead of Dura Ace on their next Trek purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Darren325 wrote:
The environmental destruction in many parts of China caused by the manufacture of cheap goods destined for the US market is appalling.

x1000

While absolutely true, it is worth noting that it is the US and Western companies which are largely driving change in this area, as well as in social areas such as working hours and conditions.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply

Prev Next