Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rim tape width for Flo Carbon Clinchers?
Quote | Reply
I am planning to run latex tubes in my soon to be ordered Flo 60 carbon clinchers. From what I have read, Velox and Stan's seem to be the way to go for latex set ups. If I go with the Stan's what width do people recommend - 21 or 25 mm? Thanks in advance.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Re: Rim tape width for Flo Carbon Clinchers? [gluestick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25mm would be too wide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't use Velox, the edges are quite sharp and the tube thins out around the edge over time.
Velox is the best high pressure tape around but nobody is running those high pressures anymore.
It is also thick so makes tyre fitting harder.

Make sure you wipe inside of the rims to remove and small carbon debris and then use something like a couple of wraps of tubeless tape..

I personally use the supplied Zipp tape on my Zipps but add a single wrap of slightly wider tubeless tape to cover the edges.
I would use just tubeless tape but haven't been bothered to mess around and find how many wraps are needed for road pressures.
I'm just lazy.
I think the consensus is that two wraps are usually enough.
Next time I replace a tyre I will find out for sure myself.
But I don't get flats, so waiting for the rear tyre to wear out.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim tape width for Flo Carbon Clinchers? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need two layers of tubeless tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gluestick wrote:
I am planning to run latex tubes in my soon to be ordered Flo 60 carbon clinchers. From what I have read, Velox and Stan's seem to be the way to go for latex set ups. If I go with the Stan's what width do people recommend - 21 or 25 mm? Thanks in advance.

I have switched off to Silca rim tape. It is a little thinner and makes mounting tires a tad bit easier. You are going to be a 21mm.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gluestick wrote:

21mm is what we would recommend. I also like Silca's tape!

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used Silca's 21mm tape on the set I just built. One roll is enough for two wraps on both wheels with a little left over.
Quote Reply
Re: Rim tape width for Flo Carbon Clinchers? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
gluestick wrote:

is the supplied rim tape that comes with the wheels not considered good enough for latex? i've already done two races with vittoria latex tubes with the supplied tape and so far no problems
Quote Reply
Re: Rim tape width for Flo Carbon Clinchers? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
Canadian wrote:
gluestick wrote:

is the supplied rim tape that comes with the wheels not considered good enough for latex? i've already done two races with vittoria latex tubes with the supplied tape and so far no problems

You can certainly use our rim tape with latex tubes. Latex has a way of finding any small hole so some people like the adhesive option of rim tape better, since they feel they can get a better seal.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply