Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Critique our real estate listing, please [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it is crazy time to look at property. We got lucky and bought a place on the island last August, outbidding two others because we had cash ready to go. But it took almost $600k and although it is nice, it still needs about another $100k in renos. We could easily push that to $150 if we weren't willing and able to do the work ourselves.

Or we could just do nothing and resell for $800 in a couple years?

It is all too crazy.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Critique our real estate listing, please [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
You need some photos of the chalk outlines disclosing where the dead bodies were found. Maybe some police tape.

Had a property a few years ago on the north side of Ft. Bragg that had blood splatter up a bedroom wall. This property was probably the nastiest I ever shot - blood splatter, all the copper ripped out of the house (holes in walls to access it), mold that I couldn't stop smelling for another hour after I finished, rats running over my feet. When I saw the blood, I thought I might find a chalk outline of a body somewhere in another part of the house. Believe it or not it wasn't a flop house...or a flip house for that matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique our real estate listing, please [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really directed at the OP - but why oh why don't US realtors ever put floor plans in the listing details? The only time I've ever seen them is when its a new build. Its a real bug bear of mine as its pretty much standard in the UK as shone in the listings above...

And don't get me started on US vs UK realtor/estate agent fees
Quote Reply
Re: Critique our real estate listing, please [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious what realtor fees are like in the US/UK? In this area, the seller is paying 2-3%.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique our real estate listing, please [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Around 1-1.5%, maybe 2% if a low value house.

When we sold our house in the US in 2013, realtor fees were 5%, and it was an expensive house.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique our real estate listing, please [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
My statement wasn't directly about the OP's cabin (although his place is listed at much higher price than my home). My house is 1100 sft. Many cabins are larger. Many cabins are more expensive. My vision of a cabin is a shack in the woods with a cast iron heating stove that duals for cooking, a biff for a toilet, and a pump for water. I don't know how people maintain, let alone afford, 2 homes all the while calling one a 'cabin'.

And I can't imagine owning a "cabin" that's not on a lake or river. Just off in the middle of the woods? Weird.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Curious what realtor fees are like in the US/UK? In this area, the seller is paying 2-3%.

6% here, 2-3% sounds much more reasonable.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Critique our real estate listing, please [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dah5609: This is the point I was going to make.

To the OP: I like floor plans, but particularly for an oddly-shaped structure such as an octagon, I'd want to have an understanding of how usable the space is. Does the floor plan result in weird tight angles I can't do anything with?

Also, would it be worth including a google earth photo of the property with the boundaries and the structure highlighted? This would go to answer one poster's comment about how useful the land is - does it provide privacy or...?

How far is the structure from civilization? Is it a quiet oasis? If so, I'd definitely mention that.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique our real estate listing, please [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, I notice the pic with the bunk beds - that artwork of women's breasts - over perhaps a child's bed? Unless you're targeting pedophiles (sorry, couldn't resist), you may want to remove art or replace it with something more generic. Vacation homes often have artwork reflective the area: animals, scenery.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique our real estate listing, please [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
My statement wasn't directly about the OP's cabin (although his place is listed at much higher price than my home). My house is 1100 sft. Many cabins are larger. Many cabins are more expensive. My vision of a cabin is a shack in the woods with a cast iron heating stove that duals for cooking, a biff for a toilet, and a pump for water. I don't know how people maintain, let alone afford, 2 homes all the while calling one a 'cabin'.

And I can't imagine owning a "cabin" that's not on a lake or river. Just off in the middle of the woods? Weird.

That's because you have 0 imagination.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique our real estate listing, please [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

That's because you have 0 imagination.

No, it's because I love water/boats/fishing.

If I have a cottage (cabin) it would be to swim/boat/fish.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
0.7 if shown yourself over 1m. 1% if they do it

In france, nothing under 5, for 2 reasons; first cgt on primary residence and secondly the fees delay sellinf
Quote Reply
Re: Critique our real estate listing, please [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see how some blokes who love hunting would have a cabin out in the middle of the woods. That and serial killers. They need a place too.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Critique our real estate listing, please [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
Too bad I'm not going to be visiting my MIL over in San Lorenzo, otherwise I would come out to Ruidoso to shoot it for you.

In regards to what fartleker said about utilizing a real estate photographer, hire a pro like me. That 95% online first look is no joke - there is a term "sticky finger" which refers to a persons finger sticks on their mobile device before they swipe because it either looks good or it looks bad. In the your housing market because of the days on market, you want the former. The only way you can get that are through good staging (de-clutter, swapping blinds or drapes if need be, new pillows, sometimes a fresh white or grey coat of paint) and good angles. By good angles, I mean not super wide (17mm on full frame works fine), eye level probably about 5'5' (ditch those angled top-down shots), and leading eye shots that would bring you into a room but not be blocked by a sofa or other furniture. Don't worry so much about lighting (all lights must be on for real estate photos!), because I would end up blending images (not that HDR crap) to match the interior lighting plus what I add from strobes to ambient lighting from the outdoors. It is possible to evenly light interiors like cabins with dark wood - I had a log cabin a week ago with the same situation, where I had to blend my images so as not to lose the detail in the wood or have the windows with no detail.

On the subject of angles, get rid of the first shot of the house and try to find a more appealing angle. This might be difficult as you are on a hillside (try not to do the "looking up at it" shot). If you can't find one, try using a front door shot. I'm not so sure an aerial will work in your case either, because you may have too many trees. Until you find a pro, clean up those images in Lightroom or Photoshop by using the lens correction in order to straighten out all of your angles (nothing should be looking like it falling towards or away from you).

If you have any other questions, pm me.

THIS /\ /\

We are selling our primary residence in CA. I'm already working 20+ days in new location (MI....where the sun simply does not shine 4 months of the year). Wife & kids are moving into another house for the next 4-6 months as "houses won't sell if it looks like somebody else's home".

Then again the listed house screams '70s, those that would actually but an octagonal house on a slope are about .00001% of the population, and it looks like the type of place Ted Kacynski had in Montana.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:

How is that? Standard fee is 7% on the first $100k and 3% after.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Thank you to everyone for your comments. We have decided to take the house off the market for now. We are having the driveway redone and want to include those pictures in the listing. We will hire a better agent to represent us next time. He thought the pictures were excellent. He also stated he would not invest much effort in selling the house as he feels it is a tough sell. Knowing that we are interested in another property, and that he would be the selling agent for this and the buying agent for that he would have motivation. Evidently not. We agreed to 6% which I think is split equally between buying and selling. He told us before we listed this that he thought the price was reasonable, that the market for sub $200,000 homes was still good. Now he is saying drop it to $115,000. That is $20,000 less than we bought it for 8 years ago.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just another suggestion/question...can you fix or alter the funky counter top and cabinet angle in the kitchen. It would make me not but the place, or lower my offer cause it is so odd.
Quote Reply

Prev Next