Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tax Returns
Quote | Reply
I assumed one or more of my liberal brothers would be screaming from the trees about this when I checked the LR feed this morning, but since they haven't:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/23/trump-moving-on-nafta-wont-release-tax-returns-wh-closer-to-moving-embassy-to-jerusalem.html

I don't really care WHAT his returns say, I'm sure they are all legal and protect his money in accordance to the fullest extent our tax code allows (the same way I do my own). What does make me grumpy about this is that it just reinforces my already negative impression of Trump concerning his willingness to follow through on his promise(s).
Quote Reply
Re: Tax Returns [MOP_Roy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did he ever promise to release them?
Quote Reply
Re: Tax Returns [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Yes: https://grabien.com/story.php?id=48219

LAUER: “Real quickly. When are you going to release your tax returns?”
TRUMP: “Probably over the next few months. They’re being worked on now.”
LAUER: “What’s the hold up?”
TRUMP: “They’re very — well, it’s the very big tax returns. The biggest, I guarantee you this, the biggest ever in the history of what we’re doing. So, it’s very complicated stuff. But we’ll be releasing that.”

In January:

"Will you release any of your tax returns for the public to scrutinize?" NBC’s Chuck Todd asked Trump in January 2016.
"Well, we're working on that now. I have very big returns, as you know, and I have everything all approved and very beautiful and we'll be working that over in the next period of time, Chuck. Absolutely," Trump replied.

Pence said it in the debate:

"He hasn't broken his promise," Pence said. "Look, Donald Trump has filed over 100 pages of financial disclosure, which is what the law requires. The American people can review that. And he's going -- senator, he's going to release his tax returns when the audit is over."

Heck, you can read 'em all: http://www.politifact.com/...broken-tax-return-p/

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Tax Returns [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

"Well I don’t know, did he do it?" Trump said. "If I decide to run for office, I’ll produce my tax returns, absolutely and I would love to do that."

and then...

If he ran for president, Trump said, "I would release tax returns and I’d also explain to people that as a person that’s looking to make money — you know, I’m in the business of making money until I do this — and if I won, I would make money for our country."

and then...

"I don’t know. I actually have not even thought of that. But I would certainly show tax returns if necessary. Well, what have they been doing? They’ve been really doing one year other than people that never made anything. But I would certainly — I’m very proud of what I’ve done. I do pay tax, but I’m very proud of what I’ve done," Trump said. "I have no objection to showing any tax return."

I don't think it's "necessary".

and then...

"Well, we're working on that now. I have very big returns, as you know, and I have everything all approved and very beautiful and we'll be working that over in the next period of time, Chuck. Absolutely,"

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone denying that Trump either didn't promise to release them is a partisan hack, and I think most people believe it's a reasonable expectation that people know what the finances look like for our President.

It'll be interesting to see how/when the White House responds to this petition:
http://abc11.com/...s-hits-100k/1714352/

And was that '100K threshold' rule an executive order by Obama, one that Trump may well just roll back (if he hasn't already)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone think he would release them? If they weren't embarrassing, he would have. Alternative promises, where your hand is not on a bible don't count. What's funny is, when you hear interviews of people who support him, the most common thing they say is what a straight talking, honest person he is. When he gives you his word, he means it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Roy wrote:
I don't really care WHAT his returns say, I'm sure they are all legal and protect his money in accordance to the fullest extent our tax code allows (the same way I do my own). What does make me grumpy about this is that it just reinforces my already negative impression of Trump concerning his willingness to follow through on his promise(s).

Really? Very few people care about the loopholes at this point, much less how much money Trump really has. What HAS become an issue is where his loans came from. There is a pretty substantial hypothesis out there that during the time Trump could not get loans post-bankruptcy from US friends/banks, he went overseas to cover his financial needs. If Trump and/or his organization hold considerable loans from overseas governments and/or individuals (such as Russian oligarchs), it would show up in his tax returns. That in-and-of-itself would be a pretty considerable conflict of interest and a massive ethics violation.

I find it pretty hilarious that Trump touted for Obama to "release his birth certificate" and has now positioned himself 180 degrees from that type of transparency.
Quote Reply
Re: Tax Returns [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
Did anyone think he would release them? If they weren't embarrassing, he would have. Alternative promises, where your hand is not on a bible don't count. What's funny is, when you hear interviews of people who support him, the most common thing they say is what a straight talking, honest person he is. When he gives you his word, he means it.

He had his fingers crossed behind his back when he made those statements. It works for 2nd graders and since they are pretty much trump's peer group what's the problem?
Quote Reply
Re: Tax Returns [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Anyone denying that Trump either didn't promise to release them is a partisan hack, and I think most people believe it's a reasonable expectation that people know what the finances look like for our President.

It'll be interesting to see how/when the White House responds to this petition:
http://abc11.com/...s-hits-100k/1714352/

And was that '100K threshold' rule an executive order by Obama, one that Trump may well just roll back (if he hasn't already)?

"God responds to sick boy's request for healing!"

"No"

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Tax Returns [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

"No"
Were you channeling this article? http://www.baseball-almanac.com/..._adieu_article.shtml

He didn't tip his cap. Though we thumped, wept, and chanted "We want Ted" for minutes after he hid in the dugout, he did not come back. Our noise for some seconds passed beyond excitement into a kind of immense open anguish, a wailing, a cry to be saved. But immortality is nontransferable. The papers said that the other players, and even the umpires on the field, begged him to come out and acknowledge us in some way, but he never had and did not now. Gods do not answer letters.
Quote Reply
Re: Tax Returns [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
klehner wrote:

"No"

Were you channeling this article? http://www.baseball-almanac.com/..._adieu_article.shtml

He didn't tip his cap. Though we thumped, wept, and chanted "We want Ted" for minutes after he hid in the dugout, he did not come back. Our noise for some seconds passed beyond excitement into a kind of immense open anguish, a wailing, a cry to be saved. But immortality is nontransferable. The papers said that the other players, and even the umpires on the field, begged him to come out and acknowledge us in some way, but he never had and did not now. Gods do not answer letters.

http://www.theonion.com/...lyzed-little-boy-475

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Tax Returns [ScottyBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottyBoy wrote:
MOP_Roy wrote:

Really? Very few people care about the loopholes at this point, much less how much money Trump really has. What HAS become an issue is where his loans came from. There is a pretty substantial hypothesis out there that during the time Trump could not get loans post-bankruptcy from US friends/banks, he went overseas to cover his financial needs. If Trump and/or his organization hold considerable loans from overseas governments and/or individuals (such as Russian oligarchs), it would show up in his tax returns. That in-and-of-itself would be a pretty considerable conflict of interest and a massive ethics violation.

Yes, really. I'm not sure I care if he obtained a lot of overseas loans prior to deciding to throw his hat into the ring. I honestly think Trump is in it (it defined as his Presidency) to make the US a better place for the hyper-upper business class that he is a member of. He'll first use the office to benefit himself and his brand with the help of the rest of the GOP majority he currently enjoys. One only has to look at his early AM meetings with major heads of business on his first "work-day" in which he pledged massive tax cuts for businesses. That is his priority and what he'll put first. I don't think countries / foreign individuals without "preferred" status will benefit any more or less in the next four years just because he obtained loans from them.

The capital "We" accepted Trump and all of this baggage when he was elected without releasing his taxes. At this point, I just find him hypocritical based on his numerous promises to release them as soon as the "IRS audit" was complete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His returns should at least be reviewed by ethics folks, no copies to them. Then maybe folks can come to terms with his unique situation and make recommendations to resolve major problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The latest is that Sunday's report that he would not release his taxes is an alternative fact:

http://www.politico.com/...lyanne-conway-234026

Quote:
President Donald Trump will release his tax returns after the IRS completes its audit of him, White House counselor Kellyanne Conway tweeted Monday in an apparent clarification from her earlier statement.
No doubt when the time comes, yet one more alternative fact will come to light to keep the returns out of the public view.
Quote Reply
Re: Tax Returns [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
The latest is that Sunday's report that he would not release his taxes is an alternative fact:

Quote:
President Donald Trump will release his tax returns after the IRS completes its audit of him, White House counselor Kellyanne Conway tweeted Monday in an apparent clarification from her earlier statement.
No doubt when the time comes, yet one more alternative fact will come to light to keep the returns out of the public view.

At least he is a spot where he can push to have the IRS complete this rather expeditiously, amIright?
Quote Reply
Re: Tax Returns [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:

Quote:

Wha wha what??? I'm so confused now... Like seriously...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Roy wrote:
tigermilk wrote:

Quote:

Wha wha what??? I'm so confused now... Like seriously...

Angry, then confused, then weary, then cynical, then disengaged. Perfect.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any law that requires him to release them? If not, you ain't getting them. Even if there is, you probably aren't getting them.

Not sure why Kelly Ann is even telling people they will release them and trying to placate folks. Why not just say, " look, we are not giving you the tax returns so shut the hell up and stop asking." " We won, you lost, elections have consequences etc etc." " We will conduct our business how we see fit."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Roy wrote:
I assumed one or more of my liberal brothers would be screaming from the trees about this when I checked the LR feed this morning, but since they haven't:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/23/trump-moving-on-nafta-wont-release-tax-returns-wh-closer-to-moving-embassy-to-jerusalem.html

The Frump got what he wanted by telling people what they wanted to hear, 'I will release my taxes...'. The probability that The Frump will actually release his tax returns is inversely proportional to the likelihood of him not using worn out superlatives every time he opens his mouth.

I have a personality disorder, I don't drink coffee...
Quote Reply