Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does IMMT require a different license?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if IMMT requires a different racing license or will my USAT do fine?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Does IMMT require a different license? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USAT is for the USA. IMMT is in Quebec. I've raced there four times and I think (I can't completely remember) that when you register you get a one day license in the process.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Does IMMT require a different license? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need a one day pass from Triathlon Quebec.

Each Canadian province has its own version of something like USAT. So racing in Quebec requires a Tri Quebec license. B.C. requires a Tri BC license. Alberta requires an Alberta Triathlon Assoc. license, and so on. Not sure if there's reciprocity across the provinces. I'm American so it really doesn't matter.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Jan 23, 17 5:54
Quote Reply
Re: Does IMMT require a different license? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
USAT is for the USA. IMMT is in Quebec. I've raced there four times and I think (I can't completely remember) that when you register you get a one day license in the process.

Yup, this.
Quote Reply
Re: Does IMMT require a different license? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Trump was going to renegotiate NAFTA so it'll probably be free now. /pink
Quote Reply
Re: Does IMMT require a different license? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
National races have reciprocity. Alberta and BC have an agreement. The lack of universal membership nationally is a joke. My masters membership with Swim Alberta is automatically part of Swim Canada and Masters Swimming Canada.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Does IMMT require a different license? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue is insurance... If the insurance was negotiated by TriCan, and then the PGBs adopted that, you could have a national license... Unfortunately, each PGB has their own insurance provider, so you still end up paying a one day when racing out of province... Of course, a Canada wide approach would be complicated by differing provincial laws around insurance... That said, a national approach would likely reduce the cost, since they would have substantially more leverage if you looked at members across Canada, rather than by province... And specifically I'm referring to coverage for the races, rather than the athletes necessarily, since some provinces' policies cover you while racing out of province...
Quote Reply
Re: Does IMMT require a different license? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling Canada, Swimming Canada and Athletics Canada dont have this problem.

Tri Can is amateur hour on this issue.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Does IMMT require a different license? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
The issue is insurance... If the insurance was negotiated by TriCan, and then the PGBs adopted that, you could have a national license... Unfortunately, each PGB has their own insurance provider, so you still end up paying a one day when racing out of province... Of course, a Canada wide approach would be complicated by differing provincial laws around insurance... That said, a national approach would likely reduce the cost, since they would have substantially more leverage if you looked at members across Canada, rather than by province... And specifically I'm referring to coverage for the races, rather than the athletes necessarily, since some provinces' policies cover you while racing out of province...

Somehow USAT has figured that out with 320,000,000 possible people under its sphere of influence and 50 different state laws. Canada has 36,000,000 and 10 provinces.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is not just sports. The same problem exists in multiple industries. Being a car dealer Canada across provinces is tricky too, for example. And vehicle ownership papers and VAT gets super dodgy across province lines.
Quote Reply
Re: Does IMMT require a different license? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
It is not just sports. The same problem exists in multiple industries. Being a car dealer Canada across provinces is tricky too, for example. And vehicle ownership papers and VAT gets super dodgy across province lines.

It's nice to know that Canada with 1/10th the population and 1/5th the number of states/provinces is as f'd up as we are in America. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid scales with infinite efficiency.
Quote Reply
Re: Does IMMT require a different license? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair point. Although the point for cycling is actually incorrect... Cycling does have provincially issued licenses that are not valid across provincial lines... Citizen's permits. The Licenses that are valid nationally and indeed internationally are UCI licenses, which are issued by the PGB, on behalf of the international governing body. I like the cycling model, where there are two different price points for the type of racing you do, if you mainly race local, in a slow cat in province, a citizen permit costs $90 less than a UCI license... if you race more, out of province, or in a faster category, then you need the UCI... Right now for tri, it's just a membership with the PGB as opposed to a true racing license (with warnings/fines for non-compliance with rules, as are issued for cycling, like illegal feeds, improper race numbers, failing to inform an official of an abandon, etc.)... It would be hard to introduce an ITU level license now, without a significant value add for the extra costs, since it would look like a cash grab... but an ITU license would have the appeal of insurance for out of country racing... and not having to pay sanction fees when racing across borders (such as the OP's complaint about having to pay the TQ fee for IMMT, despite being a USAT member...)...
Quote Reply