Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cockpit upgrade on a budget
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of upgrading the cockpit of my 2012 Fuji aloha TT bike, and I plan to spend as less as possible to get me some more aero.

Today, it's equipped with the stock round handle bar and the stock extensions (j-bend), all in alloy, and I'm thinking of getting both a new bar (with flat sections) and maybe change to lazy s-bends, all in alloy (due to budget, roughly around € 200).

I'm looking at these right now (which lands just a bit over € 200):
- http://www.profile-design.com/.../base-bars/ozero-tt/
- Profile design, V2+ as the extensions http://www.profile-design.com/product/aerobars/v2/

Anyone with experience with these?
Pros and cons?
Any alternatives?
I haven't tested any lazy s-bends or even s-bends and all, but I really like the way it looks on bikes, much more cool, and that's importent, right?! :-)

Other equipment I already use is: Flo 60 front, Flo 90 rear, Casco Speedairo helmet (with visor), Profile Design Aero HC bta bottle, ISM Adamo Racing seat, two bottles mounted on the back of the seat.
Quote Reply
Re: Cockpit upgrade on a budget [rikala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much sense getting a uci legal bar if you aren't required to.

If you are on a budget look for some old Vision alloy bars... definitely some of if not the fastest bars out there if you are on a budget. The old Syntace Stratos is another pretty good base bar that sells pretty cheap. The Profile Design Prosvet is also good (but more $$)

Don't pick extensions on how they look. You want them to function well first, look fly second. If the j-bends you have now are comfortable, I'd be hesitant to recommend messing with a good thing.

YMMV of course

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with the PRO missle alloy, kept my PD T4 extensions and added TRP carbon brake levers on my 2015 P2 and love it. Probably not very aero but its comfortable. I did that for $200US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the Profile Design Aeria stem and the Felt Bayonet Alloy aero bar
Quote Reply
Re: Cockpit upgrade on a budget [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Visions. If you can try and get the profile bars with the new clamps, cleaner and much easier to use.

http://www.profile-design.com/.../aerobars/t4-carbon/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another basebar that tests very well against much higher priced products is the Felt Bayonet 3: http://feltbicycles.com/...3-Alloy-Basebar.aspx

The basebar MSRP is only $110, but you can probably find a take-off cheaper than that.

Regarding extensions, I would not change unless you would be more comfortable on something else. I find the Felt "f-bend" uncomfortable because my wrists do not naturally fall forward to that flatter f-bend angle. I am going to Profile T1 extensions with more of a ski tip bend, because this matches the natural, comfortable position of my hands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the prosvet a few years ago and really like the bars. They pass the eyeball test on how thin they are so I assume they're aero. I pair them with the T2+ carbon bars and like the combo a lot since I have a lot of adjustability, especially now that angling extensions is shown to be more aerodynamic, and more comfortable for me.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might have a Felt Bayonet 3 basebar/aerobar combo to sell if you're interested. It's the alloy version, but it tests as a pretty fast bar:

http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2014_08_TriRig_Alpha_Wind_Tunnel_White_Paper&num=9

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the ozero (38cm, which is quite narrow) with different bars I had on hand on a P2SL. My general observations (without peer reviewed data, so take it FWIW) were:
Def. better than round bar aerodynamically. But still not that great. Too much hardware joining the base bar to the bar ends IMO, but some of that can be mitigated with bottle between the arms. Still, narrower bars were less material in the wind and shape was an improvement.
The narrow bars make it a pain to climb when out of the saddle. If you're only doing flat roads, you'll be ok. But I'd probably opt for wider bars next time.

I'd probably go with Felt Bayonet if I had to do it over again. You should be able to swing pretty close to 200Euro, especially if you can find some used. Good luck -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to upgrade it, I would buy something like the 3t aura pro. I got a take off set here and I consider it a complete upgrade from the stock bars I originally had. Its a cleaner bar setup then the clamps like the ones you posted.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Cockpit upgrade on a budget [sabotony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1^ I had these on my old tri bike and loved them! Great setup and pretty adjustable as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Cockpit upgrade on a budget [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
I might have a Felt Bayonet 3 basebar/aerobar combo to sell if you're interested. It's the alloy version, but it tests as a pretty fast bar:

http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2014_08_TriRig_Alpha_Wind_Tunnel_White_Paper&num=9

@OP- buy these
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the Vision alloy bars and cut off the brake upturns. My wind eye tunnel says these things are SO FAST.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions. The Prosvet looks really nice, and so does the 3T Aura (these two looks more aero).

Maybe I will have to put in some more money.

I found a new set of Vision Trimax carbon bar, for wopping €55, but I think it's an older model with the holder for the extensions built in the bar, I'm not sure I want that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you want a really good bang for your Buck, it is very hard to beat the Profile Design Aeria AL (MSRP $350-) they are super clean, tons of adjustment available and can take any ext. they also come with all the hardware for adjustments. The 3T aura is a nice bar, but can sometimes be too narrow, the bolts are a pain and you have to spend more for riser kits and pad width adjustment. The profiles are my stock goto bars in the shop for a no compromise budget front end.

Retul Certified Master Fitter, FIST certified fitter, Owner of Hypercat Racing http://www.hypercat.com, and friend to the animals.
Quote Reply
Re: Cockpit upgrade on a budget [Philip Casanta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have the profile design and the shockstop from redshift -- love it
Quote Reply
Re: Cockpit upgrade on a budget [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
so I assume they're aero

You'd be making a pretty good assumption. ask me how I know ;-)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Cockpit upgrade on a budget [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well perfect! I feel like I got them because you said something about them a few years ago. Have you started your consulting firm yet?!

desert dude wrote:
Quote:
so I assume they're aero

You'd be making a pretty good assumption. ask me how I know ;-)

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ordred the Profile Design Prosvet (carbon), and will keep my extensions for now.

Thanks again for the input.
Last edited by: rikala: Jan 25, 17 3:43
Quote Reply